Closed Thread

Old 2022-09-18, 10:58   #1
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default v.1.7.2 - Update Highlights

Kunar Province (4x4km)
This new map from the wooded mountains of northeast Afghanistan by [R-DEV]Ason will feature long range, vertical combat. The USMC, MEC, and Taliban will fight between fortified outposts and valley roads, relying heavily on aircraft for both supplies and fire support, as the long view distance will make vehicles on the valley roads easy targets. The USMC and Taliban are available in AAS and INS, while the MEC is available in AAS.

The map will also feature one unconventional layer(AAS16) with 23 flags evenly spread out across the map, all starting as Taliban.
These represents areas that US forces are tasked to patrol and secure. The flags can't be recaptured by the Taliban after US forces have secured them.
The Taliban will start with a significant ticket advantage, and the amount of US tickets will be relatively low.
US forces should therefore focus on reducing Taliban tickets by capturing flags and keeping losses low.
The Taliban should protect as many flags as possible and drain the small amount of tickets from US forces by inflicting as many casualties as possible.

Mounted MG zeroing and ironsight focus
Since v1.7 mounted and stationary MGs already had ballistics implemented for them. However there was no way to adjust these weapons to counter the drop. This made even the heavy MGs weaker than their smaller, handheld step-sisters. Now mounted MGs as well as grenade launchers can be adjusted manually to extend their effective range. Further to allow better observation of targets and the fall of shot, we added a 1.5x ironsight focus analogue to the handheld version.

IDF anti-tank changes
The Spike is finally coming home and will be used by the IDF as their new heavy anti-tank. The Matador MP wont be gone, but instead adjusted to fit its real live counterpart better by reducing the damage to light anti-tank standard and adjusting the sights according to new references we found. As such the MATADOR-MP will live on as the new standard light anti-tank for the IDF.

Server message menu
This quality of life improvement is especially aimed at new players and server administrators. The output of some commonly used commands as well as important notifications are now displayed right in the center of your screen and you no longer need to pay as much attention to the fast scrolling text in the top left screen corner. Additionally, those notifications we considered especially useful to keep a track of, like vote results or player reports in the case of server administrators, are now also stored in a new notifications tab in scoreboard.
Finally this new notifications tab will also feature a new UI for voting in map votes. We hope to reduce some of the chat spam with this and might expand the voting menu even further in the future.

Range-based fog
One of the quirks of how rendering works in Battlefield 2 was always that you could see further on the edge of the screen than in the center. The solution to fix this is called range-based fog and after many changes to fight the undocumented Battlefield shader code, we managed to implement it in the game.

Support Project Reality!

The Project Reality Team develops this modification completely free of charge for its community to download and play. If you would like to show your support, please consider donating to our team. These funds go directly towards website expenses, including bandwidth, hosting, domain registration, and maintenance. We never use donation funds to directly pay team members.

For more information, please feel free to join us on our public forums to discuss this and other news. Also, be sure to connect to Project Reality through social media to stay informed and receive up to the minute updates, the occasional leaked bit of information, and more! See you on the battlefield!

- The Project Reality Team

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Last edited by Mineral; 2023-04-04 at 08:10..
Old 2022-09-18, 11:57   #2
InfantryGamer42
Default Re: [Update] v.1.7.2 - Update Highlights

IDF changes are really nice buff for that faction. Range-based fog should also be great change. Great work DEVs.
Old 2022-09-18, 13:24   #3
MUSLIM0523

O Allah!
These people are making updates to a game that's over 17 years old, which many studios can't do to their game that just came out!
Thanks and respect from MUSLIM/0523, you are one of the best development teams! Continue in the same spirit. Good luck!
Old 2022-09-18, 14:46   #4
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

This might take some time to get used to because I used edge vision a lot. It's fair change though. The old way always felt like it was some kind of hack.

Btw, far edge of the fog has always been quite sharp. Is it possible to have it start fading much earlier to make it feel more natural?
Old 2022-09-18, 18:58   #5
Rango_228

I love this game, and that even if its 10+ years old it has still great devs that still updating the game!
Old 2022-09-19, 08:21   #6
TommyFederal

a map with much flag? oh nice now i can play PR all time until each of these factions done for
Old 2022-09-19, 10:25   #7
PBAsydney
Supporting Member

R.I.P. Cornerscreen 2005-2022.

HITREG CARRY
Old 2022-09-19, 12:25   #8
chupachupp

Thanks for all the cool changes!
Old 2022-09-19, 14:33   #9
milosv123344

Can we get some updates to the AR/AK firearms textures/models? The ones used now are from like 2008.

Also as an ultrawide 34" player that range based fog is a devastating change, almost in line with deviation and not being able to pick up enemy kits back in the day :'( ...but ALMOST, nothing is as bad as those two were
Old 2022-09-21, 02:35   #10
guru951
Supporting Member

Gotta say, first round of Kunar was abysmal......BUT, after the next 5+ times I played it I had a crap ton of fun, especially as an engineer laying mines, and as a marksmen and sniper.
Love it when I thought I'd hate it.

I love and appreciate the hell out of y'all, but why the HECK did you remove Jabal and Qwai!?!?!?

I've been here since 2009 and have had some of my best rounds on those maps.
Qwai was in the 0.5 trailer and that was the video that brought me to PR.

Remove Mestia, please, and bring back Jabal, Qwai, AND Archer, Please!

Many thanks!

Closed Thread