project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
27 Jul 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2012-06-24, 18:03   #1
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Default [Model] Tigercat SAM (PR:F) [WIP]

I am modelling Tigercat SAM system, which will become one of Argentine's main Anti-Air Defences for the Falklands conflict, similar to UK's Rapier system and will also be used by the Brits as a Place Holder for the Rapier.

Current High Poly:

Current Low Poly:

Missile exported and textured:

Spoiler for Original Post:
First I am modelling the launcher, after that will come the targetting trailer, and then possibly a casing for the missile and a power generator. I have first guessed rough dimensions off photo refs, and now I am in process of making a high poly model:

Tigercat SAM - Imgur

Also, i have fully done a highpoly model of the rocket, and I would like to hear any criticism you have on it, so I can call it done, eventually.

Rocket - Imgur

-lucky

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2014-07-22 at 08:12..
Old 2012-06-24, 18:17   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Model] Tigercat SAM (PR:F) [WIP]

looking really good so far!

BTW since each leg/foot is the same, when it comes to baking, just make one low poly model, UV it, then bake it, then clone it to the other legs so they all use the same UVs, same for other common parts like the missiles etc

Also when your done would be good if you can send back all your new refs you've gathered since I see you've found a few more

Would also be good to see a clay render of the missile system so far

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2012-06-24 at 18:22..
Old 2012-06-24, 18:41   #3
Doc.Pock

looking nice
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 21:06   #4
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
looking really good so far!

BTW since each leg/foot is the same, when it comes to baking, just make one low poly model, UV it, then bake it, then clone it to the other legs so they all use the same UVs, same for other common parts like the missiles etc

Also when your done would be good if you can send back all your new refs you've gathered since I see you've found a few more

Would also be good to see a clay render of the missile system so far
Like this?

Well the only ref I have found is this image in the first post, and other than that only this youtube video.

Noted on the UV thing, to be honest I am leaving the baking stuff be until I get to that bridge, i.e. when the highpoly model is done.

Cheers

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 21:21   #5
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Yep looking good, although higher rez would be nice

Nice find on the vid, and ye, best to leave that stuff till when you come to it, just letting you know in advance

Keep it up!

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 23:57   #6
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

One thing I've just noticed, is where you have a funny "spike" on the top of your leg, should be a nut and bolt. Haven't got any really good refs to hand but you can see it just in pretty much all of them

Old 2012-06-25, 01:06   #7
KiloJules

Looks very good! Cool to see a counter to the other awesome AA.
KiloJules is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 18:42   #8
rodrigoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
Like this?

Well the only ref I have found is this image in the first post, and other than that only this youtube video.

Cheers
i found it funny how in that in the video description it says:
"fue utilizado sin demasido exito por ambos bandos en la Malvinas."
or
"was used without sucess in the malvinas"
we should make it impossible to hit planes with then
rodrigoma is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 18:54   #9
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

It was an obsolete system, before the Falklands war

It was basically one of the first SAM systems, ironically made by the British and sold to the Argentinians before the war began (along with lots of other weapons/ships...), using very basic technology, of basically having to manually guide the missile onto the target.

Ingame however we will at least for the first version, have it work like other missiles ingame, by locking onto a heat signature. In time we may try out a "Command Line-Of-Sight (CLOS)" targeting system, but would most likley make the weapon system, along with the Rapier and the Blowpipe MANPADs also used during the time by both forces (which all use a similar system), pretty much useless ingame because not only do you have all the problem of trying to steer the missile correctly onto target, you also have the massive problem of the lag ingame, making it even harder, as well as other problems like the missiles being used against ground targets etc, but something we may look into at some point as I said

Old 2012-06-25, 19:03   #10
rodrigoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
It was an obsolete system, before the Falklands war

It was basically one of the first SAM systems, ironically made by the British and sold to the Argentinians before the war began (along with lots of other weapons/ships...), using very basic technology, of basically having to manually guide the missile onto the target.

Ingame however we will at least for the first version, have it work like other missiles ingame, by locking onto a heat signature. In time we may try out a "Command Line-Of-Sight (CLOS)" targeting system, but would most likley make the weapon system, along with the Rapier and the Blowpipe MANPADs also used during the time by both forces (which all use a similar system), pretty much useless ingame because not only do you have all the problem of trying to steer the missile correctly onto target, you also have the massive problem of the lag ingame, making it even harder, as well as other problems like the missiles being used against ground targets etc, but something we may look into at some point as I said
thats good too know
it would be cool to have a guided missile like in the video for a bit of variety but it would be pretty useless unless the plane flys perfectly straights and at a constant speed or against choppers
rodrigoma is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
model, prf, sam, tigercat, wip