project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
27 Jul 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 2012-01-29, 00:22   #1
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member
Exclamation PRMumble Help FAQ and Tips and Tricks

Customizing PRMumble and the PRMumble Overlay

How to automatically start Mumble along with PR (in one click)
  • A. Batch file creation
Editing Settings Inside PRMumble
  • A. Audio Input
  • B. Audio Output
  • C. User Interface
How to fix the annoyance of the Channel Tree continuously Expanding and collapsing
  • D. Shortcuts
Less keys= good?
  • E. Network
  • F. Messages
  • G. Overlay
  • H. UNinstalling and Reinstalling
Community submitted overlays
Quote:
How to automatically start Mumble along with PR (in one click)
Open Notepad, type in the following
Quote:
@echo off
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\PR Mumble\pr_mumble.exe" mumble://[email protected]:64739/?version=1.2.0 -m
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\pr.exe" +restart +playerName yourBF2login +playerPassword yourBF2password
exit
If you put it like this, the +restart will skip intro videos, and +playerName and +playerPassword will login you automatically. These are CASE SENSITIVE, you must type exactly +playerName , not +playername or +PlayerName .

Go to File->Save As
You need to save this as a .bat file, not as a .txt file, to do so, name the file something like PRandPRMumble.bat , and use quotation marks around it,
such as
"PRandPRMumble.bat" including the quotation marks
select your desktop or appropriate save location, and click save.

Run Multiple instances of the Mumble Client
if you start the mumble client with the option -m You are allowed to start another instance of the client on the same System. Be aware that this switch is unsupported and can cause all kinds of strange behaviours as the two clients still share the same config, database, overlay,.....you get the idea (especially make sure you don't use volume attenuation^^)
3. Customizing PRMumble and the PRMumble Overlay

Quote:
You have to have your Mic plugged in before you start PRmumble.exe and PR. Seriously, we had to add this to the FAQ.
Editing Settings Inside PRMumble

On the Top Menu Bar, Select Configure -> Settings

A. Audio Input.
a. Interface should be selected to your Microphone be default. This could be called Mic, Line In, or most usually ?Default Device?, Check it quickly. Make sure Echo is Disabled.
b. Compression Quality is MAXED on the server side to 40 kbit/s , if you have lagging problems when talking on Mumble, you can lower this to 29 kbit/s to free up a small amount of bandwidth.
c. Audio Processing settings is trial by error dependent on your hardware, microphone and internet connection
Quote:
If you are having problems with PRMumble sending audio out to the wrong output device, i.e. to your speakers instead of your headphones, or vice versa, Check Audio Output-> Interface below.
Then go to Windows Manage Audio Devices and make sure you have the correct Device set as your ?Default Device? .
B. Audio Output
a. Interface should be selected to your appropriate device. This could be called Headsets, Line Out, Speakers, or most usually ?Default Device?, Check it quickly.
b. Audio Output is trial by error dependent on your hardware, and speakers/headphones. The lower the buffer and Output Delay the better.
c. Positional Audio check the Headphones checkbox if you use headphones, however some quadraphonic, 5.1 6.1 7.1 headphones might be better keeping this unchecked. Positional Audio is a trial by error.
C. User Interface
a. Layout is a trial by error. Most if not all the custom overlays by veteran players are using the Classic layout.
Quote:
How to fix the annoyance of the Channel Tree continuously Expanding and collapsing as players join/leave/change channels. IMPORTANT FOR SERVER ADMINS
b. Channel Tree IS IMPORTANT. Essential for Squad Leaders and useful for all.
i. Channel Dragging : Do Nothing
ii. Expand: None
iii. Show channel user count ->Optionally check the box

D. Shortcuts
Quote:
If you delete, create or rearrange the shortcut keys in this Beta release you will have no choice but to uninstall and reinstall PRMumble.
  • Uninstall PRMumble in Control Panel.
  • Start command prompt and type "%appdata%" in it (without quotes) and press Enter. It should open YourUsername>AppData>Roaming directory. Then you can delete the complete Mumble(PR Edition) folder.
  • Reinstall PRMumble and default shortcuts should work.
a. As of right now in Beta testing, creating local shortcuts is difficult. Below is a map of the default keys. As of right now do not try to create a new shortcut, simply edit the existing shortcuts and remap the key.

b. Notebooks without numberpads are at a true disadvantage here. If anyone can chime on on working solutions, please do so.
c.
Quote:
Less keys= good?

If you think 13 keys are too much you can reduce the numbers of keys some.
The 13 keys are 9 squad leader keys + 4 keys other channels. I find the 9 SL keys fine. But I like to only use 2 keys to get the 4 other functions. How? Key-kombos.

Lets for some reason want to use the keys A and B (just for illustration).
A can be local talk
B can be squad
A+B can be SL-channel
B+A can be Commander

Result: You can use the v + b keys for 4 mumble functions, if you move the vanilla keys somewhere else.
E. Network
a. Tick these boxes: Use Quality of Service, Reconnect Automatically, Reconnect to Last Server on Startup
b. Misc: Tick Disable image download
F. Messages
a. IMPORTANT, deselecting as many as possible slows down the scroll on the left (log) column

G. Overlay
Quote:
NOTE: The Default Overlay is a mess with all options set to ON. We want to remove unnecessary clutter and provide only relevant information on screen during game play.
a. Note that different roles use different overlay options, especially for pilots.
b. To edit the overlay you need to go to mumble configuration>overlay> then right click on the desktop preview seen in the pic below, RIGHT CLICK THE BIG RED DOT and at the bottom of the contextual menu it says edit.

c. Community Submitted Overlays
You can download, unzip and install overlays at the bottom of this thread:
Quote:
Attached Files
Litoralis_Overlay_January_2012.rar (470 Bytes, 0 views)
Rivers_Overlay.rar (1.1 KB, 0 views)
Ancient_Overlay.zip (5.2 KB, 0 views)
NoSurrender_overlay.rar (455 Bytes, 0 views)
d. How to Install
i. go to mumble Configuration>Overlay>then click the load button>select the overlay you just downloaded and click ok. simple.
Editing Overlay is simple, right click the Overlay (The words Silent, Talking, Whisper, Shout) and select Edit.
The four linked Overlay files above all differ quite a bit, the commonality is deselecting the "Avatar" and "Mute state" tick boxes.
Most people do not use the "bounding Box".
The "Channel" tickbox will show the Squad number because the channels are named "Squad 1" "Squad 2" etc. It's good to use, though some argue it lowers the realism.

H. UNinstalling and Reinstalling

Quote:
Uninstall PRmumble, and delete its configs. Easiest way is to use Win+R and type "%appdata%" and press enter.

It will open "C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\"

Now lookup for folder named Mumble there and delete it. Reboot and Reinstall the newest PRMumble
Tips and Tricks:

1. If Enabling the PRMumble Overlay crashes PR immediately after starting PR and you reach the first black screen before the PR logo appears, try this:
You might want to try adding -nod3d9ex to the end of your PRMumble.com shortcut. Note that this might lower FPS...

Quote:
Open PRMumble, connect, , go to Configure->Overlay->Overlay Exceptions->Whitelist->Click ADD button on bottom right...

Add:
battlefield2\bf2.exe
battlefield2\mods\pr\pr.exe
battlefield2\mods\pr\tr.exe
fraps\fraps.exe

Click Apply.

Special thanks to K_Rivers, dtacs and everyone else who contributed to the following thread when PRMumble 1.0Beta was first released on the forum:
The original threads where much of this information was first discussed, and the overlays were first uploaded and shared:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...3-buttons.html
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...m-overlay.html
Attached Files
File Type: rar Litoralis_Overlay_January_2012.rar (470 Bytes, 199 views)
File Type: rar Rivers_Overlay.rar (1.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: zip Ancient_Overlay.zip (5.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: rar NoSurrender_overlay.rar (455 Bytes, 82 views)
File Type: zip Tychoid_Overlay_Undermap.zip (572 Bytes, 59 views)

Last edited by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd; 2013-01-17 at 19:42..
Old 2012-01-29, 00:37   #2
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member
Default Re: PRMumble Help FAQ and Tips and Tricks

Some Tips and Tricks stuff:

How to fix BF2 Linking if you altered/moved/deleted your PR intro splashscreen movies:

Many people had had troubles similar to the one below:
QUOTE=Tachidude;1694135]For all those, who cannot get "Battlefield 2 linked" message check if you altered (deleted, change names) of files that are in BF2\mods\pr\movies. I've done this to get rid of intros for faster startup of PR, and new mumble cant link to PR. I started mumble and PR after a clean reinstall - "oh no, not those intros again..." but i looked at new mumble and saw that its now linked with BF2. Again I altered the files by changing their names (by adding "1" at the end) and mumble couldnt link. So for me its either no intros either mumbling. Hope it helps/QUOTE]
This is easily fixable WITHOUT having to uninstall and reinstall PR.

Option 1 is to redownload the original movies and place them back in BF2\mods\pr\movies directory.
QUOTE='[R-COM]MaSSive;1694220']Names are

Code:
bss_intro.bik
menubg.bik
pr_intro.bik
Get them >here</QUOTE]
Option 2 is to alter your start up parameters through a command line switch. Just put "+restart 1" in your PR shortcut without the "", such as below:
QUOTE=SterrUwe321;1694579]XP BUG FIX!

Like the guy above me said, there's a bug with the auto-connect.
If you have deleted/or renamed the Movies in the folder:
C:Programms/EA/BF2/mods/pr/Movies
Mumble 1.0.0 won't be able to auto switch you into the right Channel!

In my case, i had to uninstall PR and reinstall it again (Yeah im a fool and deleted the Intro Movies).
But that way you can fix the bug!

And how another guy above me said: Just put "+restart 1" in your PR shortcut without the ""
Rightclick on your PR shortcut ->

This allows you to still avoid the annoying Intros ^^/QUOTE

Last edited by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd; 2012-02-21 at 05:36.. Reason: Updated the link to the pr_movies.zip
Old 2012-01-29, 00:52   #3
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

More Tips and Tricks
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]dbzao View Post
Known Issues
  • Commander doesn't hear Squad Leaders talking to all Squad Leaders.
  • Squad Leader 8 can't hear other Squad Leaders talking specifically to him - NUM 8.
  • When installing PRMumble you CAN NOT have any other version of Mumble running. IF you had another version of Mumble running during installation of PRMumble the quickest solution is to uninstall PRmumble, shutdown the other version of Mumble, reboot, and reinstall PRmumble.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 12:54   #4
Apocalypse89

Pretty good guide...seems to cover almost everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
b. Notebooks without numberpads are at a true disadvantage here. If anyone can chime on on working solutions, please do so.
I play on a notebook and as far as I can see there are two solutions:

1. My notebook at least lets you access the numpad(replacing certain standard keys with it) by activating the num lock, which itself is activated through the function(fn) key...if you're quick it only takes a second to activate/deactivate it, though it's still not as convenient as just pressing the keys when you need them.

2. I've seen USB numpads for notebooks being sold at some computer stores, these seem like they would be useful for this purpose, though they'll take up space on your desk and cost money.

Thankfully I don't lead squads too often yet...when I do I'll probably go with option 2.
Apocalypse89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 17:40   #5
Limeni[BiH]

Where can I find a mumble config files. I've messed up my shortcuts (setting it ti defaults completely erase every shortuct) and simple reinstall doesn't help.
So I need to find the configs an delete it I guess...
Limeni[BiH] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 19:45   #6
MaSSive

Press Win + R and type "%appdata%" in it (without quotes) and press enter. It should open YourUsername>AppData>Roaming

Then you can delete complete mumble folder after you uninstall mumble first. Reinstall and it should work. I think mumble uses sqlite database to keep data so editing it and tweaking is not a good idea.
Last edited by MaSSive; 2012-05-27 at 08:17..
Old 2012-01-29, 19:49   #7
Limeni[BiH]

Thanks, found it. I'll just delete averything and instal mumble again.
Limeni[BiH] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 23:13   #8
rushn
Supporting Member

nice guide lots of info
rushn is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 20:14   #9
Mariospeedwagen

Been trying to get Mumble to work for a week now. I can login to the main server but when I start PR Mumble doesn't link up with it. Yes I am running as administrator.

-I have BF2 installed on D drive and Mumble installed on C, does that make a difference?
-I think I read somewhere that there's an issue with the PR movie files, which I had deleted to make the game load faster. Could this be the problem?

Other than these I don't know what I could be doing wrong.
Mariospeedwagen is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 21:06   #10
BloodyDeed
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

This problem is mentioned in the post above you. Please take a look:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27...ml#post1726386
You need this movies in your PR folder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]MaSSive View Post
Names are