project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
27 Jul 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2011-11-14, 08:14   #1
dtacs
Supporting Member

Default Mumble 1.0: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love 13 buttons.

A Mumble 1.0 Review

Mumble totally revamped the way PR was played. With more communication, less issues stemmed between players and cross-squad cohesion was encouraged. Mechanized infantry became infinitely easier, requesting ammo from a smurf was no longer an elongated affair, and more importantly typing was drastically reduced in teamchat.

Mumble 1.0 is a quantum leap from the above. VOIP is now redundant in its entirety thanks to clearer quality and minimal latency. A whopping 13 buttons allows for the ultimate in direct communication, eliminating frustratingly long communications between squads that are irrelevant to others. Automatically joining channels without player input using heretical developer wizardry is just an added plus that already polishes off an almost flawless piece of equipment (which by the way, happens in mere seconds).

Last-night I used it for the first time, playing on NwA Basrah for the latter part of a seeding round. Having the entire squad connected, VOIP wasn't used period except for when people were still trying to sort out their buttons.

It took a single round to get used to the new system. The only significant downfall that I've found is player based, where a Squad Leader communicating with me didn't begin with 'dtacs, this is Squad X', making it impossible to converse with him and forcing me to type 'Who is talking to me'. Any SL who is communicating with another squad use this simple, idiot-proof protocol: 'Squad X, this is Squad Y, <message>'

One issue in the subsequent Muttrah (MEC) round was that radio spotting was hardly used. When a message was important, it was sent directly cross-squad or to all SL's in the case of the Cobra.

TL;DR Mumble 1.0 is the best addition to the game since AAS. It negates the need for an ageing voice system that wasn't meant for a game making the effort to pursue realistic gameplay and teamwork. I tip my hat to those who made it, you've given players the ultimate third-party program and drastically increased the quality of play during games. Pure development genius.

There are no excuses for not using Mumble anymore.

The next step? Make it compulsory for all players, even those without microphones.

Attached is my overlay. Its minimal, shows people in GREY talking with local chat, people in RED talking over global, and people in GREEN talking in whispers (other SL's)

[Example]
Attached Files
File Type: rar dtacsoverlay.rar (759 Bytes, 476 views)
Last edited by dtacs; 2011-11-14 at 11:46..
Old 2011-11-14, 08:33   #2
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member
Default Re: Mumble 1.0: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love 13 buttons.

With Marco's start, I automated the launching and connection to PRMumble and PR into one batch file:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT.MARCO View Post
After the release of the new mumble Link below
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f19...blic-beta.html

Mumble has been much easier to use, Now there is no excuse not to use it because after the initial first time setup mumble is HANDS_FREE but in order to make it easier i used my amateur knowledge of prgramming to create a batch .bat file that could open mumble and PR all in one awesome shortcut.

The goal is that once PR starts Mumble also starts automatically linking you to mumble without picking the server.
EDIT: I found the solution:

Check the properties of your new PRMumble desktop shortcut....
it already is using command line switches.. which are required to connect to the PRMumble server ....

My .bat file works... you can use the command line switches to auto connect and auto input your username too... follow my example...

1. open notepad: and type this
(also note that if your programs are in separate folder locations from where mine were type its location instead)
Note that I am using a 64bit windows 7 OS so I have " Program Files (x86) "
Note that I am using a separate drive letter for my PR install " Z:\ "
Note , add the nickname in PRMumble you are entering in each time your start the Beta Mumble.

Quote:
@echo off
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\PR Mumble\pr_mumble.exe" mumble://litoralis.nMd@mumble.realitymod.com:64739/?version=1.2.0 -m
start "" "Z:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\pr.exe
exit
2. save file as PR+mumble.bat (that makes it run the code above) IF you have multiple PR ID's, and especially if you have multiple PRMumble ID's, make separate .bat files for each log-in ID.

3.find the saved program and create a shortcut and add image if you want its simple

4. click and run it. (Or right click and Run as Administrator)

Last edited by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd; 2011-11-14 at 08:39..
Old 2011-11-14, 08:49   #3
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Great read dtacs, I think most of us feel the same way!

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 08:54   #4
saXoni
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
Great read dtacs, I think most of us feel the same way!
What AfterDune said. Great thread, and we all feel the same way.

saXoni is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 09:28   #5
Vista
PR Server License Administrator

Agree with the review 100%. I just love the inter-sq comunication by pressing 1-9 on the numpad. Awsome.
Vista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 10:32   #6
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I hate you all, I want to play but cannot connect to BF2/Mumble in university accommodation.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 10:35   #7
Vista
PR Server License Administrator

Well, when are you able to play PR? weekends?
Vista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 10:44   #8
PFunk

I was told by some that requiring people to be in mumble in my squads was excessive. Now I don't think anybody will give me a hard time for that view.

As for the new mumble, well the average PR public server is now caught up with how any organized team sets up their comms on TS3. I always felt like SL channel was a pain just because of how much people ended up saying pointless stuff, even if it was relevant.

Only issue I see now is pounding into people's minds how to properly utilize direct comms. Biggest issue I see is 2 things:

1 - Failure to self identify when transmitting.

2 - Failure to wait for other SL's confirmation and just talking when he doesn't want you to.

Not too bad as far as 'issues' we have with comms these days. Much better than spammy old SL Mumble.-
PFunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 14:42   #9
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Thx litoralis, here is my pimped up version:

Quote:
@echo off
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\PR Mumble\pr_mumble.exe" mumble://[email protected]:64739/?version=1.2.0 -m
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\pr.exe" +restart +playerName yourBF2login +playerPassword yourBF2password
exit
If you put it like this, the restart will skip intro videos, and player name + player password will login you automatically.

Btw, I cant get this to work with gamebooster. someone got it to work with it?

-lucky

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 15:02   #10
Dev1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
I hate you all, I want to play but cannot connect to BF2/Mumble in university accommodation.
That's why you don't live in res

Also, I would like to see mumble start up automatically when you double click on PR. Yes, there's the batch file. But wouldn't it be better if servers just turned off VOIP (saving resources!!) and everyone just use mumble? If it's automatic(and integrated), people wouldn't have to "enforce" mumble, it's already there.
Dev1200 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
buttons, learned, love, mumble, stop, worrying