project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
01 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-14, 12:06   #1
-=anders=-
Retired PR Developer

Default [Audio] PR 0.973 Anders Soundmod 0.5

Anders & PRTA
presents
Anders Soundmod v0.5
An atmospheric realism mod for Project Reality

Good news! There is another update for the soundmod available right now! It has updated soundarchives with alot of new sounds for weapons, soldiers, vehicles etc. For the full changelog of 0.5, please click here. This was done based on your feedback! So I would like to thank you for that. I also have a sort of unpleasant announcement to make. This will be the last public release of the soundmod. from now I will try to help the PR team with sounds etc. into the next official PR release. This was my goal, to let everyone enjoy these immersive sounds!

How To Install and play?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UNINSTALL OLD SOUNDMOD VERSIONS BEFORE PROCEEDING!
Using manual install (old method):
- If you installed the soundmod by manually copying the .zip files, simply delete them and then copy over the original back-ups to restore your PR to it's original state.
- If you didn't make back-ups or somehow otherwise broke it, please uninstall and then reinstall PR completely!
Using the 0.3 or 0.32 PRTA Installer:
- Shutdown BF2 / PR & ensure that neither is running.
- Open the installer & disable the soundmod.
- Click on the uninstall button and the soundmod should be removed and yourPR should be restored to it's original state.
- Delete the .3 or 0.32 PRTA Installer
IF YOU ALREADY HAD VERSION 0.4 INSTALLED, THEN JUST USE THE 0.5 INSTALLER TO COPY OVER THE EXISTING FILES,NO NEED TO DELETE ANYTHING. PRESS YES TO OVERWRITE FILES WHILE INSTALLING.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO INSTALL v0.5
  • Shutdown BF2 / PR & ensure that neither is running.
  • Ensure ALL previous soundmod before 0.4 are uninstalled (see above).
  • Launch the v0.4 self-extractor & choose the correct installation path for PR (see examples below)
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr
    • C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr
    • or another custom install folder
TO PLAY v0.5
Once you've installed the v0.5 soundmod correctly, you'll find a shortcut on your desktop to allow you to enable or disable it (the shortcut is automatically created during installation):
  • TO ENABLE: Close PR. Open the shortcut and click on "Enable".
    Now you can launch PR as normal and play on all servers that do have the soundmod.
  • TO DISABLE:
    Close PR. Open the shortcut and click on "Disable".
    Now you can launch PR as normal and play on all standard servers that don't have the soundmod.

TO UNINSTALL:
Use the build in uninstall option in the control panel of soundmod 0.5 to delete every soundmod file! After this only the control Panel will still be in you mods/pr folder. But it will not interfere with your PR. If you want you can delete it.
Still having corrupt files? Try uninstalling it manually. Find out how to do that here.

NOTE:
  • Whilst the soundmod is enabled you will not be able to play on standard PR servers which don't support the v0.5 soundmod (To play on these servers you first have to shutdown PR and then disable the soundmod).
  • Remember, you cannot disable/enable the soundmod while PR is running.
  • With v0.5 it's okay if you delete the self-extractor after installation.
    • The v0.5 installer stores all necessary files in your PR folder so the installer/self-extractor is not needed following installation.
  • The soundmod works alongside normal PR & the installer DOES NOT overwrite/delete any of your existing PR/BF2 files

Click the icon to download the self-extractor for 0.5

What is it?
It is a sound conversion for Project Reality which aims to give the player an extremely immersive and realistic sound experience. Sounds have been sourced from various sources in order to offer both the highest possible quality & realism considering the limitations of the BF2 engine. The project aims to improve almost every sound in PR & in the future you may even see new features like new distant sounds and some new visual effects.

What has been changed in the current version?
Click here for the changelog

On what servers can I play it?
The soundmod can be used on all servers that have SM 0.5 in their name. Most PRTA(EU01,EU02,E05,NA01) servers have this option. Do you want the soundmod enabled on your server? Send a PM to Anders here on realitymod.com or on prteamwork.com. Please do not turn of your MD5-checksums. This is against the server license you agreed upon. It's a very simple process to enable the soundmod, just PM Anders.

Can you show me some examples?
Here are some links to some gameplay videos:

0.4:
#1 Gaza Infantry
#2 Fallujah
#3 Kashan

0.5:
0.5 update release video

Installation help
  • Firstly ensure you've followed ALL the steps outlined in "How to install and play?" above. Support for the soundmod requires all the above mentioned steps to have been completed & failure to do so may delay any support you receive.
  • In some cases, user modification of their BF2/PR installation may be beyond the scope of the SoundMod Team & in these rare cases the quickest solution would be to uninstall and reinstall BF2 and PR completely.
  • Following this, if you still need help, either:
  • Join our TeamSpeak channel on ts.prta.co and ask for help from someone in the Soundmod Team

Feedback
Please provide feedback on your experience using the sound mod,
If you have suggestions or bug reports, then please note them in the FEEDBACK FORUM.
If you have any troubles with the installer or the mod then please leave details in the TROUBLESHOOTING FORUM.

Special Thanks to
Anders, K_Rivers, Hawker, Semtex, 700k, Leeu, Bozo, McIver, Spawncaptain, MineralWouter, Oskar

Last But Not Least, ENJOY!

For the newest info, always go to [Howto] - Anders Sound Modification | PRTA - Project Reality Teamwork Alliance
Last edited by -=anders=-; 2012-06-12 at 16:39..
Old 2011-10-14, 12:10   #2
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: PR 0.973 Soundmod test

interesting stuff, great to see initiative

I quite liked alot of them, though I've never heard anything other than a shotgun and an A10 cannon IRL

Would like to see any reference videos you used to guide you in making these sounds? (to judge realisticness)

Old 2011-10-14, 12:18   #3
-=anders=-
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
interesting stuff, great to see initiative

I quite liked alot of them, though I've never heard anything other than a shotgun and an A10 cannon IRL

Would like to see any reference videos you used to guide you in making these sounds? (to judge realisticness)
Well, I had the referencesamples on my comp. Its just my own ears that I play with. I would like think certain sounds fit into the weaponmodels, firerates, animations and caliber... I dont have any references to show you. Sry. I have sent the files to Jaymz for him to take a look at.

Ive been into a large battle exercise in Sweden where I recorded some sounds, but I also went there to pay alot of attention to how you feel the shots in different distances. I think they fit in well in the mod.

No game/simluator in the world could actually simluate the true experience irl when shooting weapons. In fact they should all be "bassy" and muffled to simluate you've got earplugs, but yeah, what can I say. Hard to tell if they really ARE realistic. But I like them in this game atleast.
Old 2011-10-14, 12:21   #4
Spush
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Are you the one that works on the Arma 2 sound mod by chance, if so great work, probably one of the more better sounding ones.

Edit: Some of the tails of the sounds are just a bit too overpowering in my opinion, but then again I'm no sound guy .

Last edited by Spush; 2011-10-14 at 12:28..
Old 2011-10-14, 12:30   #5
-=anders=-
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Spush View Post
Are you the one that works on the Arma 2 sound mod by chance, if so great work, probably one of the more better sounding ones.
Yes thats me, but I dont like the Arma2 engine at all. The there's more "flow" in this old BF2 engine.

Too bad you cant make client side mods and play with online, but I guess its both good and bad, cause there really are idiots out there. Although I dont think those kind of people play PR that they also would wanna cheat.. Lets say getting higher volumes for the footsteps. Dont know anything else. Why would you really wanna cheat in PR.
I just play it for getting a feel of how it could be irl and for the teamwork.

So well, maybe I could contribute to the mod.
Im actually a designengineer wich has nothing to do about soundwork. I guess it has a little to do with my ear for music and details and my estetic person in me. So making sounds is really just a hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '[R-DEV
Edit: Some of the tails of the sounds are just a bit too overpowering in my opinion, but then again I'm no sound guy .
Yeah. I lowered some echoes just to try... And since the game mostly plays in open areas I would suggest I decrease the power of the echoes of those sounds...
With that I mean the PKM, M16, M4 and G3.
Old 2011-10-14, 12:37   #6
Hulabi
Supporting Member

Why not try something like this for the echo?

Quote:
Frostbite style echo for weapons! Simple, yet took some time to complete (30 mins for making sounds, 15 of figuring out the way and 30 to copy/paste/rename/use effect in muzzle, so around 1h 15 mins). This effect is attached to muzzleflash, creates a few particles emitted very fast, which create echo sounds when hitting something.

Still WIP
Old 2011-10-14, 12:44   #7
-=anders=-
Retired PR Developer

I like that idea, but not the "after-echoes" sounds like missiles passing by all around you. But I like that effect closest to you... Really cool.. Have no idea though how to make the sounds attached to the muzzleflashes.
Old 2011-10-14, 13:13   #8
DeadSmile187
Supporting Member

WOW. M16 , M249 , M9 Sounds just Speechless. +10 i want it!

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem!"
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
Old 2011-10-14, 14:03   #9
Wakain

nice initiative, I must say I like your sounds for the american weapons best, they sound mean now, instead of the dull deep shots we have now. I'm not particularly fond of your russian firingsounds though, especially the ak74m is disappointing, it reminded me of a grossly loudened airsoft rifle. I am, however, no expert at firingsounds of contemporary rifles.

as noted before, the echo on some sounds, notably the pkm amongst others, is a bit too much.

all in all, some sounds, especially the sounds for the american weapons, seem to be a major improvement. it's interesting to see how the feel you get with particular weapons changes dramatically with different sounds!
Old 2011-10-14, 14:14   #10
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=anders=- View Post
So well, maybe I could contribute to the mod.
Im actually a designengineer wich has nothing to do about soundwork. I guess it has a little to do with my ear for music and details and my estetic person in me. So making sounds is really just a hobby.
Excellent stuff mate, glad to have you on the forums! I'll pop you're video etc in our team forums to ensure the correct DEVs are aware of your work.

Closed Thread

Tags
anders, audio, rel, soundmod, sounds, test