Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > Mats391
27 Jul 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
Login server rework
Posted in: Coding
Posted 2020-04-30 at 09:04 by Mats391

Proxy everything!
The old 1.5 login and server-list server were still heavily based on the ancient GameSpy protocol. We did modify it in the past, but were always limited at how much we could do by having game servers talking directly to the server. That will change with v1.6. We now have local proxies for the PR:BF2 client and server. These listen to the old GameSpy protocol and translate it into more up-to-date API calls.
Thanks to that we can now utilize common API frameworks for our login and serverlist server. That will greatly improve the stability, security and maintainability of the servers and connections.

Account system
With 1.6 we added an additional layer to bundle your ingame profile names into PR Accounts. Each PR Account will have a unique ID that will be used as a replacement for the cd-hash. A PR Account can contain any number of unique profiles that each have a unique in-game name. That means with v1.6 we will have a complete reset of hashes as well as profiles. You will still be able to retrieve your old legacy profile by supplying the profile name and password. Any other information about the old profiles will be removed once v1.6 goes live.

Full Steam ahead!
Not only did we add individual PR Accounts for more control over your profiles, we also got rid of saving passwords and instead require you to login through Steam. However Steam is not only used for logging in, we are also using Steam in an attempt to uniquely identify players. As such the old hardware based keys will no longer be used.
PR will not be available in the Steam store, we only use the OpenID feature to increase comfort and security.

Account levels
With accounts levels we introduce a new way for game servers to restrict who is able to join their server. This is entirely optional and servers can use what fits best for their community: Account levels, whitelists, passwords, a mix of everything or nothing at all.
The PR Account Levels roughly show how unlikely we think that the PR Account is a throwaway account (the higher the level the better). And it can be increased by gathering XP for a few indicators. These are for example having no current Steam VAC bans, having games bought on the Steam store in your library and having playtime on said games. Additionally anyone that will retrieve a legacy profile used in the recent past based on data available to us, will receive a high PR Account Level from the get go.
Donations to the Project Reality team DO NOT influence your PR Account Level.
More information and instructions about Accounts, Steam and Account levels can be found in the manual.

The end for Windows XP
We already hinted at the end of Windows XP support before, but with v1.6 we are going to make it official. This update did not get tested on Windows XP and might not work. For now we did try to keep everything compatible with Windows XP (e.g. stick to .net Framework 4.0), so there might be a chance that it still works. However if it does not work, we will not fix it. In addition to that we might break Windows XP support in any future release without prior warning (e.g. by requiring a newer .net Framework).
Views: 112973 | Comments: 11

« Previous Entry  |  Main  |  Next Entry »

Comments
Total Comments: 11
  1. Old Comment
    Very interesting idea with the Steam login. I reckon some people will mind the fact you're taking into account our Steam activity but I'm all in for it, the less alts the better.
  2. Old Comment
    Does that mean that we gonna get a more efficient way to get those cheaters banned?
    Like, before, bans were over IP and HWID, and it could be evaded on easy and quick steps...do we got a good way to get those fckrs banned for life?
  3. Old Comment
    I have little issue with this personally. Since i am not a really big time steam user my account level is considered 0 (zero) and i've been playing PR for like 6-7 years now (i paused for a year or so now/previously under name BakarniGonic62;i changed my name now because it's difficult for people to pronounce; i was even in SH clan for quite some time). I find this a little problematic since now i am excluded from playing on the most of servers since my acc level is too low. I am just asking, is there another way to evaluate this or use some additional parameters, because i think i am not the only one who is going to be affected by this.

Sorry for the lenghty post. Cheers !
  4. Old Comment
    @Aquila, you can still get whitelisted from servers to play. You can also retrieve your old PR account.
  5. Old Comment
    Thanks to this new System I can't play on any of the servers
    I am a big fan of this game for many years and I made an account just so I can reply
    I was waiting for weeks to finally play the WW2 update and now I can't.
    I don't use steam that much, I concidered donating an amount to the devs for the update but now since they made it so I can't play the game I won't.
    I had high hopes for this game but now it is just an insult at this point
    sorry for the long reply but I am still pissed off
  6. Old Comment
    since I can't even play the game anymore, might as well uninstall, sorry
  7. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueRayneX View Comment
    since I can't even play the game anymore, might as well uninstall, sorry
    What is this kind of rant? Grow up.
  8. Old Comment
    "If you are new to Project Reality or are on a very old version, visit the downloads page to download the standalone v1.6 installer. Project Reality is completely free and no additional software is required to play. "
    Updated 2020-05-02 at 11:29 by X0R
  9. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X0R View Comment
    "If you are new to Project Reality or are on a very old version, visit the downloads page to download the standalone v1.6 installer. Project Reality is completely free and no additional software is required to play. "
    Steam does not have to be installed. We do it through the webbrowser OpenID login.
  10. Old Comment
    I can't log in for some reason and by that i mean after i selected my profile pressed "Play" the launcher closed by itself and a new window opened and says "PR:BF2 has closed, cleaning up resources" , i've already done the following:
    -redownload the game
    -reinstalled the game
    -steam login (new account)
    -changed my steam account privacy
    -calculating my account level