project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
01 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2023-11-09, 05:53   #1
[R-CON]​Multi
PR:BF2 Contributor

Default PR: The Great War

The Great War

This is a project I've wanted to do for several years, but I've never been able to make much progress to show.

However, after a bit of planning and creating a few WIP assets and asking for help, I think it's time to give the green light to see what happens.

This is a project that aims to add two factions and two maps

The German Empire
French Third Republic

With 2km and 4km maps based on The Taking of Courcelles during WW1

The maps will use real trench maps and systems to ensure maximum historical accuracy while still tweaking for good gameplay

The Taking Of Courcelles (4KM)

And a 2km map depicting a Skirmish east of Mortemer

Bear in mind these are still concept images and the actual mapping work is very early

In regards to factions:

German Army design document:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

French Army design document:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Courtesy of the very talented 3D modeller RedRogueXIII

The rest of our assets are very WIP yet so we will show them soon. We are a very small development team so any kind of help would be great, check each faction design document to get an idea of where to start

You can also contact me on Discord (multi2003)

Thanks for your attention and I hope we can get some momentum going with this project

Edit: The images were deleted because I used Discord as a image hosting service lol, I'll reupload them when I have the time

"Supimos dar la vida por nuestras Malvinas, y sabremos dar muerte a quien pretenda arrebatarlas."
Last edited by Multi; 2024-05-27 at 23:55.. Reason: Image issues
Old 2023-11-10, 01:57   #2
[R-CON]​Multi

Default Re: PR: The Great War

Current Progress on Lebel 1886 rifle and the French Latil WW1 truck

"Supimos dar la vida por nuestras Malvinas, y sabremos dar muerte a quien pretenda arrebatarlas."
Multi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-27, 17:33   #3
[R-CON]​PotatoLord

Great models so far, the WIP ones seem to be in an alright place (although I would recommend working on only one model at a time) and the completed ones look phenomenal

I did a skim over the design document though and I would really caution against including the RSC and Mondragon self loading rifles as neither saw significant service (the RSC was only a thing in the last year of the war and barely at that while the Mondragon never left trials)

instead, I'd replace them with the Chauchat for the French and the Madsen for the Germans since those were the proper LMGs they were issued with

But as always remember that the most important and most difficult part of a custom faction is making the maps

Good luck on your progress!

(feel free to ask R-CONs and R-DEVs for help and advice)
PotatoLord is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-28, 09:49   #4
dcm1

Question. Why focus on the french as the blufor faction? Americans would be a more popular option. British a close second. Not criticizing just curious.

Also. I'm in love with the idea of giving auto rifleman semi-auto rifles. But how would that work for any maps taking place, prior to when the self-loading rifles were invented/put into service?

P.S. Flamethrower for Rifleman AP? I love it!
dcm1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-29, 06:44   #5
[R-CON]​Multi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoLord View Post
I did a skim over the design document though and I would really caution against including the RSC and Mondragon self loading rifles as neither saw significant service (the RSC was only a thing in the last year of the war and barely at that while the Mondragon never left trials)

instead, I'd replace them with the Chauchat for the French and the Madsen for the Germans since those were the proper LMGs they were issued with

)
Yeah, the mondragon can be changed to another alternative, most of the design document is subject to change depending on research and other stuff
In regards to the RSC, we plan on only making the last year of the war, because it's the only time period we can add logistic vehicles like motorized trucks while still making sense historically speaking, that's why the RSC is in the design document since both maps take place in 1918

Even though the chauchat and the Madsen were the main LMG's in the war, We think that adding those weapons to the auto-rifleman kits can cause too much firepower difference with the other classes, that are mainly composed of bolt action rifles, we think that adding semi-auto weapons for the auto-rifleman is the best option for balance, and keeping the actual machine guns to the machine-gunner class which is a lot more limited

Also, thank you a lot for the comment and feedback

Old 2023-11-29, 06:55   #6
[R-CON]​Multi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm1 View Post
Question. Why focus on the french as the blufor faction? Americans would be a more popular option. British a close second. Not criticizing just curious.

Also. I'm in love with the idea of giving auto rifleman semi-auto rifles. But how would that work for any maps taking place, prior to when the self-loading rifles were invented/put into service?

P.S. Flamethrower for Rifleman AP? I love it!
We are still experimenting with bf2 modding, even though the americans and the british sure would be a more popular option, they would require the almost mandatory implementation of tanks and airplanes to make sense in 1918.

Same thing with the self-loading rifles, we want to work on the very last years of the war because choosing an older battle would also require switching from motorized vehicles to horses for it to make sense, which is very tricky to implement without being silly lol

By using the French as our first BLUFOR faction, we can focus more on the infantry gameplay before thinking about the very complicated implementation and balancing of tanks (We know the french also fought with tanks, but they were very limited compared to the americans and the british)

Old 2023-11-29, 10:53   #7
[R-DEV]Suchar
PR:BF2 QA Lead
PR Server License Administrator

I am probably in the minority but I've always wanted to see WW1 in PR. It's good to see someone working on it. I very much wish you success. Good luck!

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic98978_4.gif
Suchar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-29, 13:32   #8
dcm1

@Multi
I understand. Your logic makes perfect sense once explained.

But a few recommendations.

1. You gotta bump up the number of machine gunner kits in PR:WW1. I believe it's currently 2 in base PR? You gotta double that to atleast 4. So we dont have a repeat of HAT and Combat Engy kits being wasted like in vanilla PR.

2. The Auto-Rifleman kit feels too restrained. Your backing yourself into a corner by limiting said kit to only use semi automatic rifles. It be better if the class be rechristened as some sort of 'Assault' or 'Trench Raider' kit. So you can give it more weapons outside the scope of just self loading rifles. Like shotguns, submachine guns, pistol caliber carbines/stocked pistols, etc.

3. If you ever do early ww1 maps. Then you would have no man portable machine guns right? No self loading rifles either? That would be very interesting. To have only bolt-actions vs bolt-actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchar View Post
I am probably in the minority but I've always wanted to see WW1 in PR. It's good to see someone working on it. I very much wish you success. Good luck!
No, you're not the only one. I'm a WW1 fiend. I love ww1, but there has never been a satisfactory ww1 experience for me since bf1918 mod for 1942. Bf1 was just bf4 larping as a ww1 game. And the ww1 series of games verdun, tannenburg, isonzo aint it either. I've always wanted game to capture the feel of ww1 in a multiplayer fps. I have high hopes for PR:WW1.
dcm1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-29, 15:00   #9
[R-CON]​PotatoLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi View Post
Yeah, the mondragon can be changed to another alternative, most of the design document is subject to change depending on research and other stuff
In regards to the RSC, we plan on only making the last year of the war, because it's the only time period we can add logistic vehicles like motorized trucks while still making sense historically speaking, that's why the RSC is in the design document since both maps take place in 1918

Even though the chauchat and the Madsen were the main LMG's in the war, We think that adding those weapons to the auto-rifleman kits can cause too much firepower difference with the other classes, that are mainly composed of bolt action rifles, we think that adding semi-auto weapons for the auto-rifleman is the best option for balance, and keeping the actual machine guns to the machine-gunner class which is a lot more limited

Also, thank you a lot for the comment and feedback
The thing is tho that firepower difference between rifles and machineguns is kind of one of THE things that defined world war 1, also the Germans never fielded a self loading rifle so you aren't going to be able to get a replacement for it. On top of that the role of self loading rifles never fell on the automatic rifleman, from their inception they were armed with LMGs.

Fun fact, why the automatic rifleman is called automatic rifleman instead of like light machine gunner or something is because early ww1 era light machineguns like the chauchat and the BAR (at least in American terminology) were called "automatic rifles"

(apologies if I'm coming off a bit too direct, I just want to make sure you aren't investing time on making assets that could denied for historical inaccuracy)
PotatoLord is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-29, 16:36   #10
[R-CON]​Multi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoLord View Post
The thing is tho that firepower difference between rifles and machineguns is kind of one of THE things that defined world war 1, also the Germans never fielded a self loading rifle so you aren't going to be able to get a replacement for it. On top of that the role of self loading rifles never fell on the automatic rifleman, from their inception they were armed with LMGs.

Fun fact, why the automatic rifleman is called automatic rifleman instead of like light machine gunner or something is because early ww1 era light machineguns like the chauchat and the BAR (at least in American terminology) were called "automatic rifles"

(apologies if I'm coming off a bit too direct, I just want to make sure you aren't investing time on making assets that could denied for historical inaccuracy)
Yeah, I understand. We could also rename the auto-rifleman to some sort of "assault" class with submachine guns or stocked pistols like dcm1 mentioned before, especially for the germans since it's difficult to implement a self-loading rifle while making sense historically

Tags
ww1