project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > AncientMan
27 Jul 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
What's happening with PR:BF2?
Posted in: Other
Posted 2013-12-04 at 06:26 by [R-DEV]AncientMan

Let me start this off by saying that PR:BF2 is not dead. So if it's not dead you ask, then why haven't we been releasing updates? The answer to that one is a long one.

At the present time, only I have the ability to make updates. After v1.0.36.0, I was forced to stop doing PR work as I had to focus on my final semester of University. When you're pulling 18 hour days for almost 2 months, working on a mod in your spare time (spare time?) isn't going to happen. Sure though, other devs were in the same boat, having to focus on real life stuff, but the main problem was pretty much me and the inability for anyone to make builds.

But that's now done, I passed (yay!), and while I'm hunting for game development jobs, it's about that time to get PR happening again .

The first thing that is going to happen is I'm going to train up a few devs on how to make builds and updates, and give them the access that they need to achieve that. I already had this done essentially with BloodyDeed, but with him retiring around the same time that I needed to focus on Uni, that left the team with no one able to make builds. So, the problem of development stopping since I bailed is going to be fixed, because that wasn't good at all.

We have a bunch of stuff ready to go for a new update (which will be a big one), but we also have a few more things that still need to be done and/or finished off. We're still looking into the issues with stability and performance, but to be completely honest, we have no fucking idea what's going on there. Yep, exactly. So maybe we might get lucky, maybe we won't, but we haven't given up yet. The next update has a whole bunch of things in there to address some of the issues, and we'll see if it helps at all. Heh, that sounds promising doesn't it...

Additionally, there's various bugs that have been fixed, and there's some really cool new features as well that should make things a bit more interesting. Not sure if all of them will be in the next update, but we'll see.

If everything goes well in testing, we should have the next update out before Christmas. Hopefully anyway...

As for the plan after that. There are a few maps that are WIP and are very near completion (Sangin!!!), and there's some other features that are being worked on as well. There's also Falklands and Normandy that can hopefully get finished to PR quality by the community and released properly as well. So yeah, there's still stuff we can do

But in the grand scheme of things, you're not going to see massive updates anymore, not after v1.0. It's going to be small updates every now and then instead. Pretty much as long as there's players, there should be developers making stuff.

Alright, so that should be enough to let you know what's going on in PR:BF2 Dev Land. As for some other news, looks like ModDB's Mod of the Year (and IndieDB's Indie of the Year) competition is up and running again, so be sure to vote for PR:BF2 and PR2, links are below. Remember to log in before voting!

And that should be about it. Be on the look out for a new update soon. Enjoy

PS: If you're interested in my Uni major project, it's called Downfall, and you can check it out here. But be warned, it's horribly unoptimized, likely won't run on your machines above 30 FPS, it's missing a lot of features like sound, has some bugs, so it's pretty much what you'd call an alpha. But it's still pretty cool IMO, not bad for a 3 man team in 8 weeks from complete scratch . Maybe it might get finished sometime down the road.
Updated 2013-12-04 at 06:51 by [R-DEV]AncientMan
Views: 39428 | Comments: 41

« Previous Entry  |  Main  |  Next Entry »

Comments
Total Comments: 41
  1. Old Comment
    Thanks for the update. I enjoy reading about what you DEV's do in your day jobs besides PR stuff. Best of luck on the job front.
    All my best friends have moved on and I pretty much left as well. But I like to take a peak at PR development now and then.
  2. Old Comment
    Congrats on passing your exams and welcome back
    Posted 2013-12-04 at 06:42 by IWI-GALIL.556FA IWI-GALIL.556FA is offline
  3. Old Comment
    Thanks for keeping us updated ! Let's hope performance issues can be fixed one day once for all.
  4. Old Comment
    Good stuff. Congrats on the finals
    Posted 2013-12-04 at 08:57 by mockingbird0901 mockingbird0901 is offline
  5. Old Comment
    congrats on graduation and I hope for you the best .
  6. Old Comment
    Great news.
  7. Old Comment
    g1am

get a job hippy :P
  8. Old Comment
    you made my day sir ! .
  9. Old Comment
    What's happening with PR:BF2?
    We all now have a fucking idea what's going on there .

Thx G man .
  10. Old Comment
    Happy to have some news! The things that I expect most to be solved is servers crashs. Good luck with all the buggy stuff.