project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > Dr Rank
27 Jul 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
Sangin - nearly ready for testing...
Posted in: Uncategorized
Posted 2020-03-30 at 22:27 by Dr Rank

Ok, so just a very quick update, for anyone not following the last blog post, which I've been periodically updating, the map is ALMOST ready for testing. So what's left?

The core work on the map is all done.

I've created a list of tasks for other members of the team to support me finishing it off, that include:
  • Coding new gamemode variants/additions (more to come on that once it's all up and running)

• Fixing up some objects (hopefully some improvements to the look of the fields, and other overgrowth objects, lighting wise), tweaking some draw distances, LOD switch distance etc.

• A couple of new textures (fields and bridge)

• A few other coding tasks
At some I'll lightmap it in 3DS MAX but I'll want to be sure I've put in all the final objects and any errors testers might find are fixed before that as it'll be a big task.

I'll update again once testing really begins. Shouldn't be too long...

I'll post some images of the compounds once the lightmaps are done on them; they look a bit strange at the moment with them all being lit inside.

UPDATE:

Barring any errors or tweaks I feel like making during testing, the compounds are now done! I've managed, with help from the team, to get the normal fields, hedgerows etc. to draw the full view distance:

Another one:

And another:

1 shot showing the inside of a compound. Like I say, the compound buildings look odd being bright inside, they'll look a lot better once they're lightmapped and have proper shadows:

Surrounding terrain

Here’s a shot showing the improvements I’ve made to the transitions into the surrounding terrain. You’re normally restricted to just using LOD overgrowth which can look really nasty close up and break the immersion. Managed to find a way around that:

Another Update:

Having the first major gameplay test this Saturday (6th June), hopefully enough of the team will be available to give a proper impression of what the gameplay might be like. Not using the new spawn mechanic for this one, more of a standard INS set up but with the Taliban having more vehicles to use, spread out across the map rather than in a traditional vehicle hub in the main base. Probably put too many vehicles in for them, but I’d rather there be too many than not enough when testing.

Not actually going to write a whole new blog, the main thing learnt from the test was that the new Taliban spawn system definitely needs to be experimented with as normal insurgency style spawning will, as suspected, just make it too difficult/annoying for the Taliban forces. Also CAS is probably going to be overpowered without either handheld or vehicle AA, although that may change a little with the new spawn system. Fast air might be an option still. but will need lots of testing. The team isn't big enough for a proper test so I'll be looking to do a BETA weekend or two in the not too distant future.
Updated 2020-06-08 at 13:30 by Dr Rank (Gameplay testing on 6th June)
Views: 50535 | Comments: 9

Comments
Total Comments: 9
  1. Old Comment
    To merge them into a single static rather than several?
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit View Comment
    To merge them into a single static rather than several?
    Not merge, Rhino's had a new, very clever idea. Needs to test it first though, before he/we would say anything about it, just in case it doesn't go according to plan!
  3. Old Comment
    Good luck let me know if you need a server to test it on.
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wicca View Comment
    Good luck let me know if you need a server to test it on.
    Thanks Wicca
  5. Old Comment
    Hello rank, I have left all discord servers because my account fucked up, can you send me the discord link?
  6. Old Comment
    Can't wait to play this again
  7. Old Comment
    How did you manage the non crap lod stuff.
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit View Comment
    How did you manage the non crap lod stuff.
    I duplicated the overgrowth objects I was using, say for example the grassfield_100m, renamed the duplicate and every file in it to something else, in this case grassfield_100st. I then opened every .con file in the folder and changed every reference to the file name, updating them all by adding st at the end of grassfield_100m. I then deleted the lod .staticmesh file, created a copy of the main .staticmesh file, and renamed it as the lod one. The engine then treats the copy of the main mesh as a LOD and is fine with it being in the surrounding terrain.

The main downside to this method is that most of the overgrowth you add will not then switch to the normal, tri saving LODs at any range, so you have to be pretty sparing with it. I just use it to roughly the point in the distance where, if you're stood at the edge or the map, you'd be able see it's main model before it would switch to the LOD anyway. Beyond that point I've just used LOD overgrowth as you normally would.

However, the grassfields have been coded differently and still switch to a LOD, even after you replace the lod staticmesh. Not sure how it works, but I presume the same method could be used for other overgrowth in the future. I've put the grassfields far enough back into the surrounding terrain to mean that, unless you actively go looking for them to end, you're not going to see to the point where they stop.

I've not noticed any impact on performance.

I also had to increase the draw distance of the tree LODs, again using duplicate files (otherwise they only drew to about 400m) just using the cull radius line in the lod.con file i.e.

Code:
    GeometryTemplate.create StaticMesh tree_deciduous_3astlod_lod

ObjectTemplate.create SimpleObject tree_deciduous_3astlod_lod
    ObjectTemplate.saveInSeparateFile 1
    ObjectTemplate.cullRadiusScale 15
    ObjectTemplate.creator MB03:mb
    ObjectTemplate.geometry tree_deciduous_3astlod_lod
    Also, as is usually done for the fields, I changed the isOvergrowth to 0 for all the LOD overgrowth in the surrounding terrain.
    Updated 2020-05-17 at 10:00 by Dr Rank (It was like 3am when I post it originally, just made it make more sense)
  9. Old Comment
    This is awesome Rank! Always checking back to see how this map is going, so if you need any help testing let me know.