project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
03 Dec 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2011-06-23, 19:56   #1
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer
Default [Static Model] Generic Garage [WIP]

Since I really enjoyed finishing up the vehicle LOD/Cull work in my sig (although it was time consuming, it was rewarding), I decided to try my hand at modeling stuff (for the 3rd time in as many years, rage quit previous attempts) after I saw this request thread. Everything looked really daunting except a single static garage (well actually all of them look manageable) which looked reasonably stylish but easy to model.

Here is the thing that caught my eye (which incidentally looks like it has been modeled in a 3d program anyway)

I started off really simple, as I have virtually no experience and just wanted to get the basic shape down.

I got some great feedback from people and fixed up my polys and such and made some progress as I learned the basics.

I have since got some more excellent advice from devs & such which has resulted in some changes and some reasonable advances.

So here I am after a few more hours on the model. Most people seem to work in only gray but I really like to add just basic materials to keep it colourful ^_^

Tricount is higher than I wanted originally but I realized with some decent lods that the LOD0 can be quite generous, so I stopped worrying too much about it.

Next step is integrating my window shutters into the main Shed model/object, which will add a few more tris (window on each side), followed by a rain gutter to add a bit of aesthetic realism. Then comes the door frame, and maybe those strange white things on the corners of each wall, depending on how high the tri count is when I'm happy with the former steps.

Accepting advice, criticism, praise (lolz) or general artistic direction haikus.

Will update thread as I make any kind of decent progress.
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 20:16   #2
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Static Model] Generic Garage [WIP]

Looking pretty good!
Judging by your tri-count, you
can add more details.

Adriaan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 08:29   #3
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

good start but still needs quite a bit of work. Can see quite a few unnecessary verts and things not welded fully. Also extruding the door outwards like that looks seriously odd, if you look at your ref you can see a door frame etc, try and make that and ye, like Adriaan said, you have quite a few tris to work with for adding more details etc

Also your windows with shutters on them looks pretty odd, although I can see what your trying to do with making it so you can't see in so you don't need to model a interior, but a better way of doing that might be to board up the window or add closed curtains on the inside?

Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 14:39   #4
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
good start but still needs quite a bit of work. Can see quite a few unnecessary verts and things not welded fully. Also extruding the door outwards like that looks seriously odd, if you look at your ref you can see a door frame etc, try and make that and ye, like Adriaan said, you have quite a few tris to work with for adding more details etc

Also your windows with shutters on them looks pretty odd, although I can see what your trying to do with making it so you can't see in so you don't need to model a interior, but a better way of doing that might be to board up the window or add closed curtains on the inside?
Thanks for the feedback! I'm very interested in the unnecessary verts & unwelded stuff comment as I've been meticulously trying to keep it as efficient as possible, but then again I'm a complete novice so perhaps there's something huge I'm missing (and quite a few times I've come back to it and been like Oh hey I can delete like 4 of those edges with no detriment ). Could you point one out to me please, I'd love to try and hunt it down by your rough explanation of it's position

Yeah the window shutters definitely need refinement, but I wanted it to look like this garage was closed nicely and was a little bit more refined, especially given it's original intention on the Vasdo(?) coastline which is looking quite high class. If I can't get it looking nice though, I'm more than happy going with the boarded up route, as it'll save me tris I reckon.

Oh and about the door, that was just a bit of a placeholder I fixed it up a little, but not 100% happy with the frame yet. It'll do for now though. I also added a gutter on the non-door side to make it a bit more interesting.

Corrogated roof looks ok, but needs more subtle arcs and honestly I think the flat roof looks just as good, might save some tris and keep it flat. Oh I also made the window shutters more visually interesting and polished, what do you think? Heavy duty hinges added to the door (3x) too.

Oops forgot the tricount [without the corrugation, which I deemed wasteful at the POT]
Last edited by [R-DEV]Psyrus; 2011-06-24 at 15:09.. Reason: adding tricount pic
Old 2011-06-24, 14:53   #5
[R-COM]Hulabi
FDF Faction Lead
Supporting Member

A tip about the lighting: Use "Skylight" with shadows enabled and 30 rays per sample instead of n+1 spotligths looks alot better. (Well, IMO atleast.)
Hulabi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 15:20   #6
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautaFIN View Post
A tip about the lighting: Use "Skylight" with shadows enabled and 30 rays per sample instead of n+1 spotligths looks alot better. (Well, IMO atleast.)
Hmm I just tried that (going to bed now) and it wouldn't let me do it... the render section was grayed out which meant when I went to render it the whole scene was black
Old 2011-06-25, 10:01   #7
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyrus View Post
Hmm I just tried that (going to bed now) and it wouldn't let me do it... the render section was grayed out which meant when I went to render it the whole scene was black
I finally figured out to do what he was suggesting:

Old 2011-06-25, 14:10   #8
Doc.Pock

NAICE!
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 16:24   #9
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

shaping up to be a nice little static mate

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 18:40   #10
Churp

It looks great mate! Can't wait to see it in game.
Churp is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
garage, generic, model, static, wip