project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
19 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
WelshManDan
Supporting Member

Default General Fitness Thread

Ive seen a lot of Fitness threads pop up recently, and seeing as I was just about to make another one, I decided to make it a general fitness thread where people can post stuff like:

Workout regimes
Diets/Supplements
Ask questions based around a fitness perspective (Back Pain, leg pain, weight loss, muscle gain, supplementsetc)

-----------------------
Ill start, I have managed to lose around 3 stone since before christmas, doing various training stuff like Rowing Machine, Weights etc.

I've managed to get my chest looking very trim, however im having a bit of trouble losing the final few pounds, stored where people call "love handles".

They are hardly noticeable but really deduct from the actual body shape I want to achieve, I can tell they are where the final piece of my old fat-self still hide, and I know they wont go down without a fight. Ive tried excruciating cardio (permanent diet where ive cut out all snack food/fizzy drinks, eat proper meals 3 times a day), but even that doesnt seem to be working (after 4 weeks there is still no noticeable change.

I have a feeling it has something to do with my lower back muscles/lats, as ive never really worked that area, and when i do my back its usually the upper back.

So any recommendations for me to add to my back workout? I included my full workout just for reference.

Current workout routine:

Monday - Core + Cardio
Squats - 3x8 (with weights)
Push Ups - 5x5
Sit Ups - 1x50 (under 2 mins - straight after Push ups)
Bicycle Sit Ups - 1x50

Tuesday - Legs
Squats - 5x5
Power Cleans - 5x5
Deadlift - 5x5
Straight Leg Deadlift - 2x10

Wednesday - Chest + Cardio
Bench Press - 3x10
incline bench press - 2x10
incline dumbell flyes - 2x10
Overhead press - 2x10
behind the neck overhead press - 2x10

Thursday - Rest Day + Cardio

Friday - Biceps/Triceps + Cardio
Bicep Curls (Dumbells) - 3x12
Standing Bicep Curls (Barbell) - 3x8
Press Ups - 5x5
Hammer Curls - 3x8
Tricep Dips - 3x12

CARDIO
Rowing Machine - 10 Min Interval training (2 min high tension, 2 min highest tension, 2 min mid tension, 2 mind high, 2 min highest)
Skipping - 5 mins, add 1 min each week
WelshManDan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
killonsight95
Supporting Member

Default Re: General Fitness Thread

for your back?
well I always lie on my back and put your hands across your chest and lift your legs vertically untill they stop. This should arch your back. The whole up - down rpocess should take 15 - 20 seconds, do this 2x15 or 1x15 per day, whatever your fancy.
Well it worked for me.... Not saying i'm anywhere near fit :L

killonsight95 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:07 AM   #3
MaxCookies

Send a message via MSN to MaxCookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshManDan View Post
I've managed to get my chest looking very trim, however im having a bit of trouble losing the final few pounds, stored where people call "love handles".
Christ, dude, are you me? Seriously, same problem here. I've been on a diet for a few weeks now, eating around 1700 cals a day (don't want to go lower yet, too afraid of muscle loss), gonna stick with it for at least a month or so until I'm down to about 8-10% bodyfat.

I can tell you, cutting out junk food isn't enough. You gotta maximize your protein intake, so eat a lot of lean meat, things like chicken breasts, fish etc every day. Your bodyweight in lbs = minimal amount of protein needed in a cutting diet. So lets say you're 180 pounds - then you need at least 180 grams of protein every day. The rest of the calories should consist of carbs and fat. Reduce your carb intake if there's no weight loss, but don't starve yourself (if you're losing more than 1-1.5kg per week, eat more). Just make sure you maintain your specified caloric intake (10*bodyweight in lbs=calories needed when cutting).

Don't overlook the diet since it's just as important as the workout routine itself (if not more).

MaxCookies is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 AM   #4
Mj Pain
Supporting Member

To add to your back workout i would put in some pullups.
You can do alot diffrent variations (wide, tight, reverse grip, kipping and muscleups).

Mj Pain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 AM   #5
Sidewinder Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mj Pain View Post
To add to your back workout i would put in some pullups.
You can do alot diffrent variations (wide, tight, reverse grip, kipping and muscleups).
Your screen name describes what I feel after doing some pullups.

Seriously though, anyone have tips for how to maximize the number of pullups? I can do a good amount of pushups and other exercises just fine, and I have pretty good upper body strength, but I can only manages like five pullups before I'm physically incapable of doing more.
Sidewinder Zulu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:54 AM   #6
Mj Pain
Supporting Member

Do assisted pullups.
YouTube - ‪Power Bands for Assisted Pull-Ups‬‏

Mj Pain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 AM   #7
WelshManDan
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:dreamsequencer^ View Post
I can tell you, cutting out junk food isn't enough. You gotta maximize your protein intake, so eat a lot of lean meat, things like chicken breasts, fish etc every day. Your bodyweight in lbs = minimal amount of protein needed in a cutting diet. So lets say you're 180 pounds - then you need at least 180 grams of protein every day.
Hmm I guess I do need more protein, eat quite a bit but no where near the amount its recommended, oh well, will have to get the Protein Shakes back out :P
WelshManDan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Rico
Retired PR Developer

Okay where to start, lol.

As some of you know I'm a Personal Trainer so what I shall recommend is based on fact and experience not what some mate of a mate said might work. Take on my advice as you wish, I do not wish to brag, yet add credibility to what otherwise could be a crock of shit when info is dished out on the internet. I apply this knowledge upon myself which has allowed me to maintain a sub 8% body fat, become a fitness model (check my sig link for a current picture if you so wish) and train some very well known people.

Firstly, one of the best ways for weight management is doing weights. Packing on the lean muscle tissue will raise your metabolism because the body has to support this tissue through energy which it derives through fat stores. Putting on 10lbs in muscle will help burn per week roughly 3000 calories which is about one pound in body fat, just for it being there.

With this in mind then, it makes sense that we want to train all the big muscles groups in the body, including the back (which you are missing out as you know). I would add in things like Lat pulldown, bent over rows, pull ups, cable rows etc. For posture wise you may also want to add in bent over flyes/cable face pulls. Squats on Monday AND Tuesday? Bad. They won't have had time to recover from Mondays session properly so remove one day.

Another point, you cannot spot reduce off certain areas. Forget side sit ups or whatever to target the hips, stick to the big compound exercises for the whole body and combined with good nutrition they will go.

Which leads me onto my next point, nutrition.

Body composition is 70% nutrition and is often the hardest part. Post a detailed food diary, which calorific amounts where possible. Personally, a typical days food for myself consists of:

0800 - 1 whole egg and 4 egg white scrambled with salmon and spinach (usually with a wholemeal bagel)
1100 - Handful of nuts and protein shake
1300 - Protein (chicken/fish) with sweet potato and veg
1530 - Porridge oats with some almonds and honey
1900 - Protein (chicken/fish) with sweet potato and veg
2100 - Chicken and veg
*I workout at varying times but will have a protein shake after each session as well.

The cardio intervals are good, some people need cardio, others dont. I only personally do cardio when I have a shoot or holiday coming up. A good ebook to read to really understand this is "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle".

Personally I workout 3 times a week at the moment for about 1.5 hours doing full body sessions. After summer I'll return to a 4-5 day split or 4 day upper/lower split and increase my food to bulk over winter.
Last edited by Rico; 06-23-2011 at 09:24 AM..
Old 06-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
MaxCookies

Send a message via MSN to MaxCookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
1300 - Protein (chicken/fish) with sweet potato and veg
Hm. Are potatoes better than rice?

MaxCookies is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Rico
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:dreamsequencer^ View Post
Hm. Are potatoes better than rice?
Sweet potato are great, I think yanks call them yams. Slower source of energy release into the system so sugar levels aren't spiking, leading to increased fat storage.
Rico is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness, general, thread, workout