project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Default Britain orders 7.62mm Minimi (SAW), Britain and France consider Telemos UAV

I may as well make this a double topic thread and if the thread gets too difficult to understand the MODs can always split it up.

7.62mm Minimi
The MoD have bought 176 7.62mm Minimi LMGs (SAWs) from FN Herstal with options to buy 250 more. This looks like an order for regular forces rather than 'spec1al opz' considering the numbers being discussed.

MoD Orders 7.62mm MINIMI | Think Defence

Telemos UAV
This is the BAE developed Mantis UAV renamed as Telemos to be bought by both the UK and France as a MALE UAV. Double the weight of the Reaper with 'electromagnetic weapons systems', optical sensors and twin engines it should be a strong competitor for navies of the world.

Telemos UAV | Think Defence

Last edited by eddie; 06-09-2011 at 02:21 PM..
Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Harrod200
Default Re: Britain orders 7.62mm Minimi (SAW), Britain and France consider Telemos UAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Double the weight of the Reaper with the same load capacity, 'electromagnetic weapons systems', optical sensors and twin engines it should be a strong competitor for navies of the world.
Does that mean it can carry everything the Reaper can, and the listed things are built into it, whereas they're addons for the reaper, or does it mean that it's got pretty much the same functionality but double the weight?

404: Signature not found
Harrod200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Britain orders 7.62mm Minimi (SAW), Britain and France consider Telemos UAV

interesting, is the new minimi to replace some GPMGs I wonder?

Also why on earth dose that UAV have a huge lump on the front in the area a cockpit would be on a normal aircraft? Looks unnecessary to me and will just increase drag?

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
strima
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
interesting, is the new minimi to replace some GPMGs I wonder?
Probably, GPMG is a fantastic weapon but a Minimi is more suited to closer combat especially in built up areas and the 7.62 will really pack a punch which the current Minimi is lacking at longer ranges.

About time MOD procurement started listening to what the troops want on the ground.

strima is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to DankE_SPB Send a message via Skype™ to DankE_SPB

Antennas need volume, you can see similar lumps on many UAVs.

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
AnimalMother.
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]strima View Post
Probably, GPMG is a fantastic weapon but a Minimi is more suited to closer combat especially in built up areas and the 7.62 will really pack a punch which the current Minimi is lacking at longer ranges.
in that sense is it reasonable to speculate that we could go back to having 7.62 battle rifles as standard infantry weapons over the assault rifle class?

and surely the minimi platform wouldn't be able to to totally replace the GPMG in all roles especially in the sustained fire role.

ex |TG-31st|
AnimalMotherUK - YouTube
vistamaster01: "I just dont get people with girl usernames/pics/sigs lol,
for example I thought AnimalMother was a girl "

Arte et Marte
AnimalMother. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Well its obviously not a direct replacement for the GPMG otherwise we would be talking much larger numbers. Its more of a nice middle ground option between the current Minimi and the GPMG, although granted both the 5.56 Minimi and the GPMG will still going to be used in large numbers I'm sure

Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrod200 View Post
Does that mean it can carry everything the Reaper can, and the listed things are built into it, whereas they're addons for the reaper, or does it mean that it's got pretty much the same functionality but double the weight?
I'm guessing the size, two engines (as opposed to Reaper's one) and the fuel tanks I can see attached might owe to the increase in weight. And I was wrong about the amount of weapons it can carry. Apparently that wasn't written and I completely made it up So what it can really carry is any armchair experts' guess.

Quote:
Also why on earth dose that UAV have a huge lump on the front in the area a cockpit would be on a normal aircraft? Looks unnecessary to me and will just increase drag?
As DankE SPB said. It'll be the computers/antennas just the same as the Predator/Reaper/Global Hawk.

Quote:
Well its obviously not a direct replacement for the GPMG otherwise we would be talking much larger numbers. Its more of a nice middle ground option between the current Minimi and the GPMG, although granted both the 5.56 Minimi and the GPMG will still going to be used in large numbers I'm sure
It may not be a direct replacement but it may be for Afghanistan to replace GPMGs in the patrol role. I'm not sure how the GPMG is used in Afghanistan (kept as part of a Fire Support Team) or if it is given to a designated man in the platoon to carry for weight of fire but if this Minimi is used to keep weight down it may be of use.

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
As DankE SPB said. It'll be the computers/antennas just the same as the Predator/Reaper/Global Hawk.
Still seems odd to me they incorporated into a lump in the shape of a cockpit rather than incoroporating it in such a way it didn't have an impact on the aroedynamics so much (although granted, not that much but still dose a bit). Possibly it was a move to save money by using research/data they have from previous aircraft developments where they have designed a cockpit like that to save on doing new research etc?

Quote:
It may not be a direct replacement but it may be for Afghanistan to replace GPMGs in the patrol role. I'm not sure how the GPMG is used in Afghanistan (kept as part of a Fire Support Team) or if it is given to a designated man in the platoon to carry for weight of fire but if this Minimi is used to keep weight down it may be of use.
Possibly but I think its more likley that the GPMG would still be used on foot patrol, just in lower numbers than it is currently? And the GPMG is a common weapon issued to a few guys in a normal squad, not sure on the numbers thou.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
CastleBravo

Quote:
Still seems odd to me they incorporated into a lump in the shape of a cockpit rather than incoroporating it in such a way it didn't have an impact on the aroedynamics so much (although granted, not that much but still dose a bit). Possibly it was a move to save money by using research/data they have from previous aircraft developments where they have designed a cockpit like that to save on doing new research etc?
I thought the lump was for a sat dish. UAVs likely need much more robust comm systems than manned aircraft.
CastleBravo is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
762mm, britain, france, minimi, orders, telemos, uav