project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
27 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
KnightFandragon

Default Flares and Countermeasures

SO, ive been flying the A10s alot lately and finding the Flares to be absolutely useless. I even manned a Stinger site and saw 1st hand the flares totally failing for the MiG. I watchd one of my missiles hit a flare then keep on going, did a 90 degree turn and hit hte mig anyway. I also watched a Rocket hit my flare i deployed and blew me up anyway. So, seriously? Do Flares do anything or are they just there for kicks?

Republic Lord Legionnaire Fandragon, Knights Republic of Lerlide
KnightFandragon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
ma21212
Supporting Member

Default Re: Flares and Countermeasures

Well I fly alot of CAS helicopters and they help out alot....

ma21212 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

they aren't 100%, but they work, many a time I've seen or manned AA positions where flares have prevented me from hitting my target. But its not just a matter of 'x', some of the better pilots can explain it better, but you gotta get away from your flares and away from teh AA or you'll still be a viable option for the SAM to hit.
Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
KnightFandragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
they aren't 100%, but they work, many a time I've seen or manned AA positions where flares have prevented me from hitting my target. But its not just a matter of 'x', some of the better pilots can explain it better, but you gotta get away from your flares and away from teh AA or you'll still be a viable option for the SAM to hit.
Well, knowing where the missile is coming from is the problem.....I fly the A10 and it isnt all that fast, those SAMs travel 10x the speed of now. I usually just assume its the MiG tracking me. Is the BRDM2 with hte Rockets on the roof an AA Vehicle as well? I have been shot as infantry by it and I know in BF1942 Desert Combat it shot down my A10 there as well.....So is it AA? If so then I guess I'll have to keep a betterl ook out for those things.

Republic Lord Legionnaire Fandragon, Knights Republic of Lerlide
KnightFandragon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
heavytiger

Talking Re: Flares and Countermeasures

really i find no problem with the flares.
heavytiger is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Phantom2

I hit an A-10 with an IGLA, despite it deployed flares about 3 seconds prior to launch, how is that fair?
Phantom2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
ralfidude

Send a message via AIM to ralfidude

Flares are rather sh*t.

As it is right now, hand held AA can be fired as an RPG at aircraft. You do not need to wait for a lock tone, and the missile will hit the target.

It really doesnt matter if you pop flares 10 seconds prior to ur run or not. Unless you are in a fast aircraft like a f16, you will die.

For example a10. SLOWWwwww as hell, and popping under cloud cover is suicide. Best to use bombs from up high and never come down hahahha.

They do help at times... like... 2/10 times...

ralfidude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
Q2M100

I honestly have zero problem with the flares. They are not a fool-proof way of evading a missile, but with the right tactics, they are an invaluable tool.

If you are not having much luck using flares in the jets, you are not using them correctly. They are meant to aid in deflecting a missile lock, not stop it altogether. If the flares aren't in between you and the missile, they are pretty darn useless.

Try sharp turns and evasive maneuvers when dealing with a missile lock. An easy, but completely effective maneuver is to pull up and do a 180 and then repeat the maneuver a second time (Immelmann turn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). This will make you gain a ton of altitude while concealing your true location.

Q2M100 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
Maverick

The flares barely work for me. I deploy those things, even before I get the damn lock and BAM. And Evasive manuvers won't work against a MiG.(I fly F16 ) Those missiles WILL hit no matter what. All in all, jet combat MUST be overhauled. Just as the helicopter physics must be overhauled. Combined Arms did this REALLY well.

Maverick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
ralfidude

Send a message via AIM to ralfidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q2M100 View Post
I honestly have zero problem with the flares. They are not a fool-proof way of evading a missile, but with the right tactics, they are an invaluable tool.

If you are not having much luck using flares in the jets, you are not using them correctly. They are meant to aid in deflecting a missile lock, not stop it altogether. If the flares aren't in between you and the missile, they are pretty darn useless.

Try sharp turns and evasive maneuvers when dealing with a missile lock. An easy, but completely effective maneuver is to pull up and do a 180 and then repeat the maneuver a second time (Immelmann turn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). This will make you gain a ton of altitude while concealing your true location.
facepalm

Sir, have you flown in PR?

Lol, what do you think an enemy jet being locked does? pops flares and continues on in its journey on wards with no "sharp turns and evasive maneuvers"? Come on mate... We both know "those" are impossible in PR because of how limited a jets maneuverability really is due to the flight characteristics limited in bf2 engine. This is not Lock On Flaming Cliffs 2 we are talking about. You turn just as fast as the other jet. Period. There is no "Getting away". You pop flares and yank that stick as hard as you can whistl popping a flare a second to keep from getting locked on. And that only takes you so far, because in 30 flares, ur completely fu...d!

The ONLY ONLY fool proof way of getting away from a pursuer in PR is to go full afterburner straight up into the sky and then slightly pull the stick somewhere beyond 3500(Otherwise he will have his nose on you as you both stall exactly the same way, this way you turn off his nose as you stall), so that both you, and the jackass following you lose complete control over your planes in a stall. There is no death timer on a map like Kashan, so you can be out of bounds for 5 minutes. Iv done it before. However, that's only if you miraculously survive the initial contact of his missile missing you.

Evasive maneuvers... lol, that made my day.

ralfidude is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
countermeasures, flares