project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Maps
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Qinling feedback on 95 flag layout

Hey all, I was the one who did Qinling's GPO (thats gameplayobjects, assets/flags etc) for last patch.

I had the good fortune of playing Qinilng 32 on TG the other day, and I self congratulated myself that the flag layout worked very well for such a pretty map that unforunately lacks in specific points of interest.

the feedback from that round was that it was great, though some people would prefer 32 only had CAS choppers instead of a mix of jet and chopper, though Qinling is the only Brit Chi JET map, so I feel jets need to be represented heavily.

The set up of the map is on the premise of area control of 500m flags, of which 1 flag in 2 sets is randomly chosen, NE, NW, SE and SW (along with the main base flags, FOB and farm), rather than 'random hill #3' and this setup seems to be quite sucessful, albeit simplistic.

But what are other people's experiences? Should the flags be bigger? Is the balance of Tank/APC/infantry/Air good, or does it need to be changed? Is the delayed trans chopper for Chi a good idea to produce more asymmetry? (Chi won the round I was in) etc etc

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
dtacs
Supporting Member

Default Re: Qinling feedback on 95 flag layout

Well other than the fact that it was over in something like 10 minutes it was alright. Still terrible for infantry (aside from the odd round), the map needs alot more ground transport including light vehicles like Land Rovers and FAV's.

Other than changing the map physically (hills need to be lowered IMO), the vehicle layout is relatively fine.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:16 AM   #3
Kain888
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
Still terrible for infantry (aside from the odd round), the map needs alot more ground transport including light vehicles like Land Rovers and FAV's.

Other than changing the map physically (hills need to be lowered IMO), the vehicle layout is relatively fine.
I play as infantry on Qinling 80% of times and I disagree strongly with almost everything you say. Hills are the best friend of infantry when it comes to avoiding armor and overwatching flag assaults. Also open hilly terrain makes this map quite unique.

About flag layouts. We played recently std layout on PRTA and flags were surprisingly fine. They were situated a little bit south from center of map - in something similar to square separated by lake, I enjoyed this flag layout. Although I recall I played Qinling 4 times since 0.95 and 2 rounds had bad flag locations, favoring PLA strongly. I think that Qinling will be way better with attack routes in AASv4.

I don't think flag need to be bigger, 500m is enough for such a map.

Last edited by Kain888; 02-01-2011 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
dtacs
Supporting Member

I play infantry on it 100% of the time and still find boring in comparison to other 4KM maps. The hilly terrain repeats itself making it feel like every location is the same as another random spot on the map. Its unique as there is nothing else like it, but just because its unique doesn't make it up to mod standard.

In the video I linked it was an enjoyable round, but due to the teamwork and communication as opposed to the map. The environment for it just didn't cut the cheese, and another map with better development would have drastically increased the fun factor.

Of course the British and Chinese always need maps, but with the addition of Shijia its time that Qinling finally be put to rest, especially considering the much more developed 4km community maps available.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

come now gents, don't derail a thread, this is about the GPO of this map, now; not the general qualities of the map

Old 02-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #6
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
Of course the British and Chinese always need maps, but with the addition of Shijia its time that Qinling finally be put to rest, especially considering the much more developed 4km community maps available.
The thing is its still the only British and Chinese jet map, something that both Shijia and Hainan are not, and afaik HughJass has stopped working on Hainan.

I do agree thou, the map needs to be replaced, but really it needs to be replaced by a map (or multiple maps if one doesn't feature both) featuring both the RAF and PLAAF and right now, I can't think of any maps that are well into there development that do that...

Also that's not to mention that there are not really any other Brit maps with such emphasis on even tanks or other heavy assets, Shijia is mainly light and medium assets and while the Brits do have tanks on the odd map, none of them offer the same conventional conflict as Qinling dose or in the same numbers.

But as Rudd said, back on topic guys.

[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:15 AM   #7
Silly_Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Also that's not to mention that there are not really any other Brit maps with such emphasis on even tanks or other heavy assets, Shijia is mainly light and medium assets and while the Brits do have tanks on the odd map, none of them offer the same conventional conflict as Qinling dose or in the same numbers.

But as Rudd said, back on topic guys.
Burning Sands?

If anything, the Marines need a 4km featuring jets, or a 4km in general. But hey, I'm a bit bias myself.

"Jafar, show me a sniper rifle." - Silly_Savage 2013
Silly_Savage is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

silly, Jabal 4k is hopefully going to fulfill that role, however I need to coordinate with Joe on that

I've started a project that might replace Qinling, might not we'll see. But BACK ON TOPIC ...silly tester silly

Old 02-01-2011, 05:07 AM   #9
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Savage View Post
Burning Sands?

If anything, the Marines need a 4km featuring jets, or a 4km in general. But hey, I'm a bit bias myself.
BS as of yet doesn't feature any jets, nor dose it feature the PLA, let alone the PLAAF.

And yes the USMC do need a jet map, but like Rudd said, Jabal v2 with any luck should fill that gap.

[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
MikeDude

Why the hell would we want jets anyways?

[3dAC] MikeDude
Loving PR since 0.2.
MikeDude is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
feedback, flag, layout, qinling