project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator
Default Removal of helicopter carried Anti-Air missiles

This suggestion may not be completely realistic but in my opinion will help quite a lot with gameplay and attack chopper combat. By removing the AA missles it will mean that there is now more skill than ever involved in fighting off another chopper and winning, or running. With the current system of anti-air missle armed attack choppers the fight most of the time ends after a few seconds and 2 quickly fired aa missles flying through the air. It offers no chance for the chopper being attacked to run to friendlies or fight back because the chances of surving those missles are very low and its not hard at all to fly around get lock and shoot.

If the missles were removed, the basics of of air to air fighting would still be true and the aircraft in the better position would still have the advantage. Height would be an even greater advantage, with speed you could run or distract long enough to have a fighting chance and there would be required skill and communication between the pilot and gunner that rarely happens now because of the effectiveness of AA missles.

This suggestion would require more skill and I think a lot funner from the ground and air perspective. Whats more fun to watch or be part of? Two choppers fighting all over the sky with hydras and guns going everywhere and the choppers running to their ground troops for help, or the first chopper to spot the other firing 2 missles and the fight is done.

Thoughts?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
[R-MOD]Mongolian_dude
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Removal of helicopter carried Anti-Air missles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisweb89 View Post
This suggestion may not be completely realistic but in my opinion will help quite a lot with gameplay and attack chopper combat. By removing the AA missles it will mean that there is now more skill than ever involved in fighting off another chopper and winning, or running. With the current system of anti-air missle armed attack choppers the fight most of the time ends after a few seconds and 2 quickly fired aa missles flying through the air. It offers no chance for the chopper being attacked to run to friendlies or fight back because the chances of surving those missles are very low and its not hard at all to fly around get lock and shoot.

If the missles were removed, the basics of of air to air fighting would still be true and the aircraft in the better position would still have the advantage. Height would be an even greater advantage, with speed you could run or distract long enough to have a fighting chance and there would be required skill and communication between the pilot and gunner that rarely happens now because of the effectiveness of AA missles.

This suggestion would require more skill and I think a lot funner from the ground and air perspective. Whats more fun to watch or be part of? Two choppers fighting all over the sky with hydras and guns going everywhere and the choppers running to their ground troops for help, or the first chopper to spot the other firing 2 missles and the fight is done.

Thoughts?

I'm sceptical.

I will say that Heli-Heli combat is one of the most unpredictable and anti-climactic aspects of the PR battlefield. However, such engagements I would feel are more realistic than the age-old "whirlwind-duel" that ensues between two under-equipped attack helicopters, which seems rather unskilled and desperate in itself.

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
maverick551
Supporting Member

Default Re: Removal of helicopter carried Anti-Air missiles

I fully support this suggestion. I would think that by removing the anti-air missiles, pilots would be more inclined to focus on targeting hostiles on the ground, rather than having to fly at ridiculously high altitudes to counter the threat from other attack helicopters. In addition, I would think Anti-Air vehicles would be used more frequently on maps with attack helicopters, which I think would also be a positive outcome if missiles were to be removed. May be something worth a try? Just my opinion

Perpetual peace is a futile dream."
- General George S. Patton
Old 12-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
mat552

The only thing that could possibly go wrong here is that helicopter pilots no longer have any viable excuse to hang out on the far corners of the map hunting for each other instead of supporting the infantry on the ground.

They could probably even be re-added in a hotfix if the results have unforeseen consequences.

Players might be hardcoded, but that sure doesn't seem to stop anybody from trying.

The only winning move is not to play. Insurgency, that is.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Zoddom

i see that its getting clear to some people that we HAVE to do something about those CAS battles.
i fully agree with you OP, as it is now, it just sucks.
@mat552:
youre right, i get the feeling that most of our "skilled pilots" like heli hunting more then CAS, and if thats true, then theyre the wrong guys for that role and have to be sorted out. this suggestion (or something equally) would be one method to achieve this.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
Spuz36

Like this suggestion. It would definitely make heli crews more responsive to CAS. Have noticed a sharp increase in "Waiting until enemy choppers down" before helping out ground units under fire that instant. Its a tragedy they are scared or threatened that much to make a quick run to help advancing units. Afraid to lose their 15 or 20min respawn ride, they will probably waste more time idling in high altitude than actually making CAS runs.

While it may create these waffle fights in mid-air, it may inspire team mates to make AA traps like spike strips or barricades. Usually try to do this now nonetheless.

Last edited by Spuz36; 12-28-2010 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: what the devil are the spawn times on those things these days?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Psyko

more likely, the choppers wouldnt engage each other so often. and they would allow each other to nuke targets.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
Teek
Supporting Member

I think we are just going to go back to vanilla heli dogfights with guns and hellfires, with some hydras trown in. Helicopters may still camp up high tring to snipe the other chopper with a hellfire. You cant make choppers more focused on CAS if they have a rival. If you nerfed the Air to Air missles so that a hit heli could limp back home then the crews might be more willing to do strike runs without having to be so paranoid about seeing the spawn screen.

To achive this Air to air missles should probably have a shorter lock range, and one only missle can be fired per lock. After getting hit by one missle a heli can pull out of range before the second lock and repair.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
Zrix
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

I've always thought that heli vs heli combat is silly and feels awkward, both in vanilla with TV-guided missiles and in PR with AA missiles. This is actually the main reason I stopped flying CAS, it just took away the fun(even if you win the dogfights).

What I would like the most is to only give CAS to one of the teams on each map, just to allow the crew to focus on engaging ground targets and not having to worry about the enemy chopper. This could be compensated with some more AA for the other team and/or some extra land vehicles perhaps, depending on the map.

Last edited by Zrix; 12-28-2010 at 11:45 PM..
Old 12-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #10
Grizzly

Send a message via AIM to Grizzly

Well while your at it go ahead and take bullets away from everyone... since were suppose to be capping points or finding caches. The real world isn't fair so lets not use it in game is not a valid point in Project Reality. Sacrifices have to be made for gameplay but taking out a completely legitimate asset is kinda absurd.
Closed Thread

Tags
antiair, carried, helicopter, missiles, missles, removal