project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #1
Operator009
Default Car Bomb damage to Aircraft

Is it me, or does anyone notice that a bomb car exploding 40m below you will almost certainly down you?

I tried searching and I haven't found hide nor hair of a bombcar bringing down a BH...I mean, its almost akin to TRULY being Rambo and downing a Hind with a Crossbow...

Is there anyway we can fix this in a realistic way? Perhaps localize damage to armor to a lower damage sphere so that Your chopper still will (and should) explode at a more realistic range?

P.S.
If this is an intended strategy, I appologize. Tried search and found nothing on the subject or the AAS list.
Operator009 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Tarranauha200

Default Re: Car Bomb damage to Aircraft

IRL choppers fly higher and too fast for bombcars, also LZ is secured so there is much more efficient tactics than bombcar.

Bombcar damage to aircraft should be lowered.
Tarranauha200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
snoopy_d0g

Send a message via ICQ to snoopy_d0g Send a message via Skype™ to snoopy_d0g

I dont think that Bomb cars damage Aircrafts, once at Kokan gary blowed up in the middle of US base and everything except KIOWAs and BH was destroyed....

snoopy_d0g is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Operator009

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy_d0g View Post
I dont think that Bomb cars damage Aircrafts, once at Kokan gary blowed up in the middle of US base and everything except KIOWAs and BH was destroyed....
Either they werent there or I call shenanigans... Gary has picked off kiowas over 80m above them...
Operator009 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:13 AM   #5
ComradeHX
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator009 View Post
Either they werent there or I call shenanigans... Gary has picked off kiowas over 80m above them...
A timely delayed spawning of choppers?
ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
Arnoldio
Banned

Blast expands in all directions, while it cannot go into the ground, there is a lot more force directed upwards. Not to mention that fragmentation and blades dont mix...
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Alex6714

Shouldn?t cause the complete destruction of the helicopter though. Apaches have returned to base after having taken enough damage to put holes in the rotors and while Im sure the kiowa and such aren?t rated so highly for damage protection, I don?t see it being a sure kill.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
AquaticPenguin

LiveLeak.com - Apache Going Down

Apache getting taken out from a ground explosion. I think this is an Apache destroying an IED where it got a bit too close.

Aircraft are very vulnerable things as they can't afford to have heavy armour weighing them down. For a comparison, an Sa-7 has a warhead weight of about 1.17kg (source) and that is enough to cause serious damage to aircraft, whereas a car bomb could be up to 500kg of explosives with plenty of material to make shrapnel. Ok the car bomb is going to be further away but there is still going to be a big shockwave and the shrapnel is still going to be moving very fast.
Last edited by AquaticPenguin; 12-24-2010 at 07:17 AM..
Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
dtacs
Supporting Member

Although they should be severely damaged, taking them out completely seems a bit ridiculous.

One bomb car does quite a bit of damage.

dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
BenHamish

If you're only 80m away from a 1,000lb bomb in a helicopter that's airborne then you would expect to die, wouldn't you?

In reality the thing would get flipped about the sky like a leaf in the breeze, probably disintegrating along the way.

How much explosive is used in a bomb-car?

BenHamish is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
aircraft, bomb, car, damage