project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
23 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
Megagoth1702
Supporting Member

Default Real life soldiers - how loud is a bullet crack?

Hey guys!

I am just wondering - since all the videos do not represent the "real deal".

How loud are bullet snaps of bullets that go past your head at real close distance (like 1-5m)?
If anyone knows, please post.

Compare the loudness to the volume of a rifle or maybe anything that I can recognise as a non-army guy.

Is it really really loud? How does it feel?

And if anyone knows - how do distant sonic cracks sound compared to the close ones? Are they just quieter or maybe muffled? Or maybe a completely different sound? Any reference videos would be great.

I am working on some sonds for a project and would like to know.

Thank you in advance!

Mega.

Megagoth1702 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
sudsy
Default Re: Real life soldiers - how loud is a bullet crack?

its pretty close to as loud as a gunshot from about 10m
sudsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Magoodigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsy View Post
its pretty close to as loud as a gunshot from about 10m
But what does THAT sound like?
Magoodigan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
sudsy

haha how do i describe it, snap your figers right beside your ear, its pretty close to that
Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
Alex6714

Hate to bring it up, but an airsoft BB can whistle past your ear pretty nicely, and thats a small plastic ball thats not even going near the speed of sound, so a bullet must be pretty loud.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I believe the way it works is;

Anything close = whiz or hissing sound as it passes by

Anything farther = snap or crack sound as it passes by

Can't be replicated properly in BF2 without causing severe bugs. I've spent entire weeks trying...believe me.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Zegel

Damn, I wish you hadn't posted that, Jaymz. Now all I'm thinking about is how freakin' awesome that would be in-game.

Zegel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
sudsy

dont wana bust your bubble, but its not actually like that, it sounds the same regardless of how far away it is, its just the volume that changes
Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
Anguin

from some of your responses I'm guessing you want to know about all the sounds associated with firing.

first up, it sounds incredibly different depending on where you are in relation to the different parts.

I'm only trained and familiar with the steyr rifle, so that may or may not influence my experiences.

a thing to keep in mind is that you can hear all the actions going on, whereas games seem to only focus on one at a time.

it is 'quitest' when firing the rifle in my opinion. the sound is similar to a car door closing, but with your ear right next to it. you can hear the bullet fly but its something you have to concentrate on, usually you miss it. then you hear the echo come back. this all takes less then a second.

when standing 100m ish away from the firer and not in the line of fire, it's sounds like a really drawn out whip crack, it's like parts of the sound travel at different speeds.

when standing 1-5km away over open ground it kind of sounds like someone clapping their thigh

1-5km in urban environment causes only the high frequency parts of the sound to be heard, PR models this pretty well.

and i've never been shot at so I cant give you any help there.
Anguin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
anglomanii

had a vetran tell me once it was like he felt it more then he heard it the first time that rounds were coming at him this was right before he soiled himself.

depending on all sorts of things the bullets apparently make lots of weird sounds. especially when they hit concrete, you get lots of strange buzzing effects so i am told.

<22:31:15> "Supahpingi": i was actually mastrubating ferosiosly to mike meyers pictures
anglomanii is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, crack, life, loud, real, soldiers