project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights
18 Oct 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-13, 08:41   #1
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Smile Improved Close Support Bridges

Hey all,

After watching Tactical Gamer's, "A Bridge Too Far" and also from my own and others observations of Close Support Bridges ingame, I felt that maybe it might be a good idea to make the CSBs a little easier to cross, since right now, they are harder to cross ingame than they are in real life.

The main problems that I have noticed is that due to no fault of the driver, vehicles tend to "slide" on the CSBs, due to BF2's way of doing vehicle physics and this is the number one cause of vehicles falling off CSB ingame, as even thou the vehicle was lined up correctly before getting on the CSB, after spending a bit of time on the CSB your vehicle just slides to the side and you end up with one of your wheels falling down the middle of the CSB. You can see very good examples of this in TG's, "A Bridge Too Far" 6mins in, and also 12mins, 15seconds into the video where at 13mins, 20secs the truck actually ends up in the water due to not being able to recover from the wheels sliding off.
The other big problem with people using CSBs is that its much harder to line your wheels up strait to the bridge ingame than it is in real life and once your on the bridge, its hard to keep them strait mainly due to sliding, but also some other factors can come in.

As a result, here is the main idea I came up with in order to improve our bridges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino
Basically this is what our CSBs look like currently, from a front on view.

My suggest is that we add small, invisible "guides" to the col1 (physics col, what vehicles use) collision mesh that will slightly help players with keeping the wheels on the tracks, but still if they mess up really badly, they can still fall off the edge but this should help prevent that, by keeping them central to the track.

Red bits are new bits to the col and the brown bits are wheels.

This should mainly stop the "sliding" motion which seems to be one of the biggest killers and also will warn the player by a small bump if he's going wrong.
After debating this idea and a few others with the team we decided that this one sounded like the best option in making our CSBs easier to cross.

Here is the old Physics Collision mesh (col1) for the no10 CSB.

And here is the new Physics Collision mesh (col1) for the no10 CSB with guides on the edges to help keep the wheels on the bridge tracks.

Here are some pics of the CSBs with the new col1 in the editor:

Now its hard to explain the effects of this new col in words and pictures so I've recorded a little video in the editor of them where I've done very little in correcting the path of a vehicle manually and gone at them from all angles and as you can see, while the new cols dont effect a tank very much due to it being so big and heavy (although tanks didn't really have much of a problem on CSBs before since they where so big and heavy) you can really see that this new col really helps putting and keeping light vehicles like the Land Rover and MAN Logistics truck on the bridge and only if you drive at the bridge really fast, or at a really bad angle, or miss it completely then you will fall off them hehe.

[XFIRE]3cc5cd[/XFIRE]
HD: http://www.xfire.com/video/3cc5cd/

With any luck this should make the CSBs much easier to drive over and as a result, deploy and with any luck we may even see them getting used more often in game

Cheers!

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2010-12-13 at 09:16..
Old 2010-12-13, 08:50   #2
HunterMed
Supporting Member

Default Re: Improved Close Support Bridges

this is how good game support lookes like

thumbs up

Old 2010-12-13, 09:22   #3
Bad&Mad

That ll be great, if you provide this update in game.
Now passing CSB looks much easier, then in previous versions.But looks like Rover still has some problem with passing through the CSB..This seems to depend on its small width comparing with a tank and logi,wright?
Hope, that that will work with much longer CSBs, but not only with one-span made one's..

Old 2010-12-13, 09:27   #4
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad&Mad View Post
That ll be great, if you provide this update in game.
It will be in the next version

Quote:
Now passing CSB looks much easier, then in previous versions. But looks like Rover still has some problem with passing through the CSB..
I think your misinterpreting the video. I was deliberately driving over the CSB badly to show that if you drove over the CSB badly, you would still fall off. The first time I drove over the bridge in all vehicles, I show how easy it is to drive over if you line yourself up correctly, I've just driven over these things soo many times when making them I know pretty much spot on where I need to be to have my wheels in line so I can line myself up very fast

When I drive off the sides and even flip into the water, I'm deliberately going at the bridge at a bad angle to show that you can not be careless with these things and still have to be careful, just now they are a lot more forgiving

Old 2010-12-13, 09:56   #5
Bad&Mad

What about multi-part made CSB's?-Are they are as clear to pass as one-part made one?
Did you tested them too?
Anyway,thanks for this update - its quite important..At least for me personally..I hated CSB's for their impracticality..

Old 2010-12-13, 10:02   #6
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
What about multi-part made CSB's?-Are they are as clear to pass as one-part made one?
Did you tested them too?
Anyway,thanks for this update - its quite important..At least for me personally..I hated CSB's for their impracticality..
Yes I've done and tested them too and they are just fine

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1...2010065539.jpg

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7...2010065934.jpg

Old 2010-12-13, 11:45   #7
[R-MOD]Spec
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Great change, CSBs were so far no proper alternative to just going a different route, since building and then crossing them can easily take over 15 minutes, as the TG video illustrates.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 2010-12-13, 12:07   #8
[R-DEV]​Psyrus

Thanks Rhino, this will be a very welcome change!
Old 2010-12-13, 12:13   #9
Arnoldio
Banned

How much is this DLC going to cost?

Nice fix there!
Old 2010-12-13, 12:35   #10
Ghost Wolfe

I thought the CSB were the best thing ever, then I fell off them a couple hundred times. This makes me happy, Thank You!

Closed Thread

Tags
bridges, close, improved, support