project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
21 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Incognito84
Default Would you want to ban all under 16 gamers from using mics?

I decided to give a few new games a chance recently. The first is c-RPG and the other one is Counter strike: Source Jailbreak (my friend on Steam recently opened a server for this which is why I've been playing it).

Anyway, I joined a small c-RPG server and started asking people questions about it when I was dead. It's my first time with the mod so I was confused. I just asked some basic advice like "do I have to reconnect when I purchase stuff? How do I ______?" Thankfully c-RPG doesn't allow mics so a lot of people just typed their answers, which were: "gtfo out noob," "(my alias) is a fa**ot" and so on.

In Jailbreak I played on the CT team which is supposed to give orders to the T team. If the Ts disobey then we're allowed to shoot them. For example, I say to the Ts (over the mic): "everyone take one step out of their cell, turn around and freeze." There is always someone who doesn't follow orders in which case we're permitted to shoot them.

50% of the time I shoot someone they start having a hissy fit on the mic and it's usually someone who sounds like they're under 14 and their balls haven't dropped yet. "FREEKILLER! YOU FREEKILLING (racial slur/anti-semetic/homophobic etc)"

Seriously, I heard the N word and the homophobic F word uttered more over the mic in one CS:S game then I hear them in the rest of my life combined over the course of one year, including all the times I hear stuff like that said ironically or mockingly.

It's got to the point where my respect for gamers under the age of 14 has completely vanished and the second I hear someone go on the mic and they sound like they're a kid, I either give them a warning to not use their mic or I just banhammer depending on what they said. With the Jailbreak server, we've banned over fifty kids and the server has only been up for a week.

The last time I dealt with these sorts of problems was on X-box Live back in the day when I used to play X-box 360. It was pretty much the same thing. Some people used to play the game nearly 24/7 so naturally they're better than most other players... if someone were to play casually, they would get insulted and taunted so much that they would probably just give up or disable mics.

It got me thinking... wouldn't games be a lot more enjoyable if there was some way to ban all players under the age of 16 for using a mic? Or just ban gamers who were under the legal age for playing the game (since most of the games I play are rated M or 18+)?

Are you equally as annoyed by young gamers?

Last question, where the hell are their parents?

If I was that age and my parents overheard me talking like that, my X-box/PC/whatever would end up in the driveway so my dad could run it over repeatedly with his Dodge Ram. I would have been grounded for months for saying anything near what some of these kids are saying and rightfully so.
Incognito84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
pfhatoa
Default Re: Would you want to ban all under 16 gamers from using mics?

No. I'm annoyed with idiots.
pfhatoa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Incognito84

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfhatoa View Post
No. I'm annoyed with idiots.
Yeah, there are idiots everywhere. I've had problems with gamers that were way older than me as well.

The thing is, when you hear a kid talking on the mic it's almost a guarantee that they're either A) going to go on a racial/homophobic slur, B) they're going to have a temper tantrum when things don't go their way or C) if they play the game a lot they're going to insult everyone who isn't as good as them.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
BroCop

The God's greatest anti kiddie invention ever: the MUTE button.

Join a server. Server has 2 kiddies talking crap over mic's. Mute the said kiddies. Enjoy your stay.

BroCop is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
[R-MOD]Spec
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Now that's a silly one, incognito. Of course not. You don't change peoples attitude by not allowing them to speak. In many countries, it is not illegal to play a game that is intended for older audiences - In countries where buying games below a certain age is forbidden, this law should of course be enforced - but as long as it's legal to play a game, it would of course never be an option to ban paying customers from using some game features simply because of their age.

Sorry about you having some bad games there (cRPG is silly anyway, it pretty much killed the Warband online gaming that I preferred, although that's of course just the way it goes), but a general ban of certain customer groups is not the solution.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Incognito84

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
The God's greatest anti kiddie invention ever: the MUTE button.

Join a server. Server has 2 kiddies talking crap over mic's. Mute the said kiddies. Enjoy your stay.
I don't want to have to go into the options and mute ten people every time I join a game though but sometimes I have to.

I just want to ban them from the games. Steam/game companies should require verification (photo ID) so that if you're under a certain age, you can't play certain games. Period.

Quote:
as long as it's legal to play a game, it would of course never be an option to ban paying customers from using some game features simply because of their age.
True but when they're on their mics or in chat saying or writing racist/homophobic/offensive things, they should have to face up to a higher authority. Freedom of speech is on thing, harassing people is another matter altogether. I've seen kids go on hissy fits and threaten to literally kill other players. That should get one banned for life from a game.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Mute buttons were made for a good reason, yes it's a bit of extra work but then you don't have to listen to the idiots. I've played with many under 16 gamers who are actually much less annoying than some older gamers, it's really not about age in the end. I personally wouldn't frequent a server/game where there are people of any age being saying ridiculous and derogatory things, but there are plenty of servers like that with only 18+ players.

In short, my answer is No.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Kingy

The main reason PC gaming is great yet also possibly less supported these days is because it is aimed at an older audience. Your less likely to find people under the age of 16 playing on computers than you are xbox's or PS3's mainly because of the convenience.

To be honest though we were all there once and all they are trying to do is have some fun just like us, sure they're annoying as flamingo's when they start chatting on but as mentioned, the mute button is your friend.
Plus it's not as if there aren't annoying people over the age of 16.
Kingy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
CallousDisregard
Banned

LMAO
Try playing on TG, at least the PR server, there is very little of that.
How could you ban those under 16 anyway ?
Based solely on the pitch of their voice ?
CallousDisregard is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
[R-MOD]Spec
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
True but when they're on their mics or in chat saying or writing racist/homophobic/offensive things, they should have to face up to a higher authority. Freedom of speech is on thing, harassing people is another matter altogether. I've seen kids go on hissy fits and threaten to literally kill other players. That should get one banned for life from a game.
That's very different from generally banning people under 16, though.
Of course it's important to have good server administration - kicking or banning players who use offensive remarks is one of the main duties of server admins.

Servers are (usually) privately hosted - and as long as that's the case, you can't tell server admins whom to ban. On not privately hosted servers (such as for large MMO games) that's a bit different, and server stricter administration is required. Although technically, these servers are also privately hosted, by the company creating the game. Though since said companies dislike losing players, they'll usually administrate relatively well.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!

Tags
ban, gamers, mics