project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
21 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
ZephyrDark

Default Why do people dislike 4km maps?

I've just been noticing that people really dislike the open terrain 4KM maps such as Yamalia, Iron Eagle, Kashan, Burning Sands, and Wanda Shan.

I know a lot of the newer maps are a little buggy, but I personally find the concept of them to be fantastic. I love the combined arms feel of it, being able to call in CAS, or Armour to support infantry movement.

I am not the biggest fan of CQC in PR. It just isn't very exciting and never seems to turn out in my favour. (i.e. turn a corner to see an enemy soldier, very close quarters so we just both empty our mags. I have a 7.62 rifle so 2 hits will down the enemy. We were less then 5 feet from eachother, he had to reload, and I was emptying my mag on him and no bullet connects. He then shoots me once and I am downed.)

But my question is why do people dislike these maps so much? (I am not saying EVERYONE dislikes them, but that quite a few people do) Do you dislike the longer rounds that tend to come from them? Do you dislike any sorts of long range combat? Dislike armour vs. infantry? Do you not like to crew armour or fly CAS? Explain, and try to be constructive.

|TG-31st|Blackpython

ZephyrDark is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Why do people dislike 4km maps?

I think for many 4km maps the avg public server dosen't have enough team work on them to make a 4km map fun. On a small map, all you really need is inner squad teamwork to be fun while on a 4km map, your relying much more on other squads to work with you to complete an objective and a lot of the time you can't except that on an avg public server. You really need a mumble only server or a server that strives towards teamwork all the time (or better yet, both) to really get the foundations you need to make a 4km map really enjoyable and most servers simply dont go for that.

When a 4km map is played right, it can easily be the best gameplay you will see in PR but if its played wrong then it turns into a really boring environment where you can't really do much on your own or as a squad that can make a real impact on the battle like you can on a 2km or smaller map.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
burghUK

In my opinion they tend to take far too long and i like a bit of variety now and then.
burghUK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Dougalachi

I can say that Iron Eagle (somewhat) and Wanda Shan (definitely) are very annoying to play as an armored player. The way the terrain is done damages armored vehicles very quickly once taken off road. In addition, it also makes driving a general pain. Stretching the maps out so far while including moderate elevation changes results in horrible terrain to drive on and fight through. Wanda Shan's elevation taken to a 2km scale would likely be a lot more playable. Iron Eagle doesn't seem to be as bad, possibly due to a lesser number of small abrupt/sharp hills.

Dougalachi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Cossack
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cossack

I like 4 km maps. They don't have a lot statics, terrain is good and the main thing for me, its not lagging.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
PatrickLA_CA

Hmm... I always try to join a server running 4km map , They're my favourite because of CAS and asset whoring

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Haji with a Handgun

I love 4km maps because they require that you depend on your team for things, and your squad isn't out in it's own little world like on smaller maps. Long range firefights are my favorite type, because you have to actually be a good shot and not just lucky at ranges above 200m.

In Game: Marxman

Haji with a Handgun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

Fun for assets, not much fun for infantry. You have a multitude of assets raining down explosives on you constantly. You have to rely on friendlies for transportation. In theorey it sounds great, and in clan battles it is much much better than the smaller maps. However in pub play it can be like running up a hill. Terrible pilots, apcs that dont give transport, people who build fobs on flags than leave the logi truck (the teams most important asset) etc etc. The terrain also looks quite bad while playing infantry. Rubber-banding also seems a hell of a lot more common with them than 2k maps.

Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
Gore
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I like 4km maps and are glad the smaller ones are being phased out. As long as the 4km maps has urban areas for infantry and not just random forest combat.
Gore is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Mora

Maps like Iron Eagle are my favorite. Also as a side note, the terrain warping fix used on Iron Eagle now that we know it works on dedicated as well, will we see it used on all maps?

Mora is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, dislike, maps, people