project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
26 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Anderson29
Supporting Member

Default [Guide] Player controlled Mortars for PR

UPDATE:
A LOT OF SERVERS ARE ENFORCING A "NO USING MORTARS IN YOUR TEAMS DOME OF DEATH" RULE, SO IN ORDER TO HELP EVERYONE KNOW WHERE THESE INVISIBLE LINES ARE, SEE PAGE 4 OF THIS THREAD AND BOOKMARK IT.

Player controlled Mortars for PR.

FACTS and CAPABILITIES

Max Range: 1,500m
Max Rate of Fire: 1 rd every 6 sec. 10rds a minute per tube
Time of Flight: 15-20 seconds from shot to splash
Max load out: 12 HE/AB rds, 6 smoke rds
Rearming rds: 1 ammo bag is = to approximately 4 HE/AB or 2 smoke rds

You can set a maximum of 2 mortars a map within 200m of a built fob and the 2 mortars can be no further apart than 50m

they can be destroyed and rebuilt in a different location at any time

It takes 5 seconds after a fire mission is requested to activate the mortars.

A fire mission will stay active for 3 minutes.

It is not required to call in 2 fire missions to activate both mortars. 1 fire mission request will activate both.
BE SURE TO SET DISTANCE IN ORDER FOR IT TO WORK!

Tips

To the observers not in the mortar squad (can be anyone) and/or, SL's with officer kit or sniper kit. It is not necessary to call in a fire mission using the commo rose through the binoc's/gltd. You can simply give a grid to the commander or to the mortar SL through team chat but, in case you want to call in a fire mission via binoc's and commo rose, here are 4 steps in order to do it accurately.
Mortar SL, you do not need to place the fire mission marker accurately as long as your move/observe/attack map marker is in the desired location of fires

Step 1: Place a move, observe or attack marker on the desired location of the fire mission using the sqd screen (default key caps locks or home) and right click on the map grid and place the marker or if you have eyes on, place it via commo rose on the specific enemy location. remember the distance given at the bottom of the screen or in your GLTD to make it faster later,when you get the hang of things.

step 2: Move a bit in the direction of the move, observe or attack map marker you just placed, for best accuracy.

step 3: Pull out your binoc's and right click and use the "main radio" commo rose to set the distance (you will find the distance in the squad screen below the map and only the SL can see the distance, unless you are manning one of the mortars...explained below.), at this time you do not have to have a visual of the target...just be pointed in the direction of the desired location of fires.

step 4: Immediately after setting the distance, request the type of mission you want (right above the "set distance" in the commo rose) HE/AB or smoke. once this is done the fire mission map marker will be placed on the map for all to see.

Observers not in mortar sqd, When calling in a fire mission you are in control of those rounds. Give adjustments and BDA(Battle Damage Assessments ie. causalities) if possible. Coordinate with the commander through voip or the Mortar SL through team chat.

Corrections should be made like this.... Left___meters, Right___meters, Add___meters, Drop___meters. also, when giving corrections, make sure you know where the mortar team is firing from and give the corrections as if you were looking from their point of view or direction.
i know that this is not the real army's way to adjust fire by using the mortars direction to the target...its just easier in game when not everyone is tactically proficient at their current job in game.

To the mortar SL. you are free to roam the map and observe all fires. It is not necessary for you to stay with the mortars as they can see the distance to your move/observe/attack markers. You should have no less than 3 people in your sqd to be effective. Kit selection should be as follows for max rate of fire, SL with officer kit (primary observer for whole team), 2 mortar men with reg.rifleman kit, 2 ammo bearers with reg. rifleman kit. 1 loading the mortar pits and the other driving back and forth from main rearming the supply truck. Place the mortars between 20-40meters apart for maximum effect.
If you feel its necessary, build AA or AT positions in AAS scenarios as needed. try to be concealed.
Also, consider disabling the Fire base built in order to build the mortar positions, to keep people from spawning there and stealing your ammo truck, mainly on insurgency maps. On AAS maps dont disable unless ur team is advancing and once flags become out of your range, consider relocating your team to a forward position to give your team the best available support.
Also, if you are not using the SL kit you runs the risk of your range being off by 150meters, found this out on some local testing between my 2 computers. Count grid squares at times to confirm.

To the mortar men manning the mortars, you can also see distance using the squad screen just like the SL, the trick is that there has to be an active fire mission, the persons manning the mortars have to be in the ballistic calculator/weapon slot 4, once the calculator is up, press the squad screen button, (default caps lock or home) and you will see the distance at the bottom of the map to the SL's move/observe/attack marker.

A good mortar team can get accurate rds on target in less than 1 minute after a fire mission is called.
When receiving corrections keep in mind that the minimum deviation on the mortars is 25-50meters at 1,000 meters and left or right 5 degrees is between 75-100meters at that distance and decreases at shorter ranges and increases at greater ranges, so be careful when adjusting. If you have to go more than 10 degrees left or right of the target direction given...request for a new grid and/or fire mission.

Any questions or misunderstandings...feel free to post and i will update this thread as needed. Also if anyone else has tips or good tactics post them below in order to have a 1 stop shop for all tips and tactics relating to mortars in pr. Hope this helps some of yall be more effective in the PR battlefield.
Last edited by Anderson29; 05-09-2012 at 11:49 PM..
Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Mortars

Good guide, Anderson.

Just a few more random notes,

Insurgent mortars have little over twice the deviation of conventional ones.

When Air Burst is requested, ensure you know the approximate elevation difference and adjust accordingly. If you don't, the rounds may end up being extremely ineffective.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Ambush

Default Re: [Guide] Player controlled Mortars for PR

As Mortar SL, how do I set up the fire mission without using the laze? I've been searching for instructions for how to do so for a couple days, and I should be blowing up somthing by now! LOL HELP!
Last edited by Ambush; 01-05-2011 at 09:41 AM..
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
Ambush

OK... This is what I have learned! In order to call a FIRE MISSION as the Mortar SL you must first....

Mark the target with an attack marker.

(make note of your range)

take GTLD/Binocs and dial in your range.

Then with the GTLD/Binocs out use the commo rose and select MORTOR STRIKE.
(you do not have to point in any preticular direction with the GTLD)

That should do it!

So lets go over it again:

Mark the target.
Dial in your range in your GTLD
select Mortar strike in commo rose (in any direction)
Kill the enemy. LOL
Last edited by Ambush; 01-05-2011 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Anderson29
Supporting Member

yes, follow steps 1 through 4 in my main post. i dont know how to make it any simpler
Anderson29 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Lowjoe

i have one question. when do the airburst rounds explode? and what does the 'height' have to do with this?

If I make a grammatical mistake please feel free to send me a PM and correct me. thx

IG: HorniHornsen
Lowjoe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
Anderson29
Supporting Member

they are proximity rounds supposedly...so they should just explode 10-20m above the ground. i dont think height has anything to do with what elevation the round explodes. i believe height on the calculator is to be more precise in target location in maps with various elevations but when u have no way of knowing ur own elevation...it really does no one any good unless a person knows both the mortar's elevation and the target's elevation and the person firing the mortars will need to guestimate the height if he so chooses...which i think is just a waste of time. so long story short.......dont bother with the height in the calculator imo.
Last edited by Anderson29; 01-09-2011 at 07:10 PM..
Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Stockypotty

I have been testing this with some friends recently. Am I right in saying:

If we are set up in A1, and another squad says there is enemy activity in D10 (but they don't give out a firing mission)... am I right in saying that I could aim at the ground to call a firing mission myself... then put a marker on D10, call out the range to the mortars and let them line up.... will the mortars hit D10?
Stockypotty is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
Anderson29
Supporting Member

yes. u kinda understand it.

edit: (for more detailed instructions since all these question are arising.....are u guys reading the whole guide? and what are yall not understanding?)

the best way to do it....or the way i do it when i do the mortar squadleader is,
lets say mortars are set up in A1. a squad or really anybody calls out "enemy in j5k3", well what i do is i put an observe marker on that grid. i remember the distance to that grid. i face the direction of the marker i just placed, i take a couple of steps in that direction, pull out binos, use the como rose to set the distance to that marker i just placed and request a fire mission and thus the call for fire icon appears on the map in the spot requested in order to let the entire team know that mortars are firing on that specific location.

you, as the mortar squad leader do not need to be with the mortar team, u should be out observing because you provide the best feedback to the mortar team via the voip. thus u can make small adjustments for best accuracy. the mortar team can get the range on their own by pressing caps locks or home to bring up the squad map and the distance will be at the bottom just like as if they were the squadleader and that only works if they are in the mortar calculator (weapon slot 4 for conventional forces and weapon slot 2 non conventional forces).

hope this answers any and all questions or misunderstandings related to the mortars.
Last edited by Anderson29; 01-09-2011 at 07:07 PM..
Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
StatusRed

Good guide! Thanks!

StatusRed is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
controlled, guide, mortars, player