project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
27 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
HileMighClub
Default Lack of INF squads?

I'm curious to see other players' opinions on this. Recently I've noticed a lack of infantry squads in servers. Out of 32 players there's always an APC squad, Tank squad, Trans squad Jet squad and now mortar (awesome) squads. Often there are 6/6 players in a mortar squad, and most servers allow 2 mortar squads. This leaves a small amount of INF on the ground actually fighting. Is it just me or are infantry squads going out of style with all the new content being brought in?
HileMighClub is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
TomDackery

Default Re: Lack of INF squads?

I haven't done anything BUT infantry since .95 came out. I think.
Most people want to try out all the new assets and features so its all boring stuff to them later on. But really, infantry is where its at. If you want a good team, you have to balance it out because infantry alone will fail, too much armor will fail, but infantry with moderate armor support will normally demolish teams.
TomDackery is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
Nick_Gunar

I have to strongly agree with the lack of inf squads. Everybody makes tank/cas/apc squads now just because thermal imagery is so powerful. You can't cope with that, the fact that even though you may have a HAT or TOW near a FOB, an experienced tank/apc/cas/... squad can easily wipe you out.

In all the servers I have played (5-7), the only inf squads were to make FOB just to toy with the mortar lol, noone to defend/attack flags and heavy vehicles were just lonewolfing with their new toy (thermal) as well.

It is only the beginning, I know and everyone is experiencing this new version but simply put, heavy vehicles win especially on a 32 vs 32 basis.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities... It is best to win without fighting.
Nick_Gunar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
=LK= A.H.
Banned

Well, more than a lack of infantry squads, I have noticed that there's often a lot of confusion regarding attack and defense with infantry.

In Silent Eagle a while back my squad was the only one defending the Logging House objective, and we got annihilated. (The rest were futilely attempting to take Central Village...). Pretty much the same thing happened in Dragon Fly, but in reverse, as we were annihilated trying to attack the Railway Station obj. by ourselves (everyone else was defending, apart from us and a tank).

So no problem with the number of infantry squads, really, but often the teams seem to lack coordination.
=LK= A.H. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
dtacs
Supporting Member

Who cares. Do what you want to do, don't automatically expect that the rest of the team want to do grunt work. Sure, there needs to be more reasons to play infantry and progressively over the last few versions infantry hasn't got that much loving bar TOW's and the like.

Whats really needed is a new gamemode(s), PR is dying in the sense that its so repetitive, but thats just me.

And on mortar squads, I like the way my clannie put it:
Quote:
"Mortar squads are like your standard barbecue. There's one guy cooking the meat, while the other 5 guys stand around uselessly commenting on whether he's cooking it right."
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
Heskey

I always go infantry simply because it's too much hassle and drama to argue against the guarenteed TANK/JET/APC squads; I'd rather play the game than wait for 20 minutes on a run-way to get shot by a pilot who can't fly.

But because everyone wants to be the TANK/JET/APC squad, there's barely any infantry, and when there is, it's being lead by a sniper, with no medic. It makes me sad =[

Might have to learn how to SL myself...

(Signature by Priby)
Heskey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:45 AM   #7
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

you can't say anything about people toying around wiht the new stuff, that's just part of a new release

but i can't really say i have noticed less inf squads :/

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #8
Doc.Pock

i have noticed it to since .95 as every1 wants to try the new toys and im mostly in a 2-3 man inf sqad trying to capture objective by itself so it is kinda sad yes
but i belive it wil soon go away when every1 sees that thermal isnt that great anyway
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
MadTommy
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heskey View Post
I always go infantry simply because it's too much hassle and drama to argue against the guarenteed TANK/JET/APC squads
^^ What he said.... i haven't got in a jet or attack chopper on a full server since probably 0.4 due to this... can't face the mine mine mine & 'you crashed it you noob' crowd.. even on my own community's server.

Lack of infantry has been an issue for years.. nothing new.
MadTommy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #10
Haji with a Handgun

There is a serious lack of Infantry squads. Not just the fact that they are few, bu also the fact that 9/10 times people lock their squads once their friends are in it. I haven't done anything besides infantry since .7, and I can't understand why people think of Infantry as grunt work and boring. Some of my best rounds in PR were spent on the front lines. As for mortar squads....lol. Saw one hit a friendly chopper with an airburst today.

In Game: Marxman

Haji with a Handgun is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
inf, lack, squads