project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:06 AM   #1
JohnSpartan
Default Is it just me? Or did BF2 graphics not age well??

Just reinstalled BF2 after 3 years just to check out the lastest version of PR. I must say, after being spoiled with ARMA 2 and BC2 it is quite a shock to see BF2 graphics again. A huge difference of how to me this was the most awesome looking military shooter five years ago and looking at it now. I think PR does quite a good job of giving BF2 some nice textures and models, but there is only so much a single mod can do to a five year old engine.

Now, don't get me wrong, I did get hooked into PR once more but I can't help but see how much BF2 itself is aging in terms of looks. Hell, the Source engine is aging very well and that's about the same age as BF2, just look at the Left 4 Dead games if you don't believe me. No offence to you die hard BF2 PR fans, but I am looking forward to ARMA 2 PR more than ever now. I'll just be playing BF2 PR till then.

The one good thing about this engine is that you can have huge urban and open maps with no lag. Something a lot of games today have to compramise because of modern graphics.
Last edited by JohnSpartan; 09-04-2010 at 04:12 AM..
Old 09-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
PieEaterer

Default Re: Is it just me? Or did BF2 graphics not age well??

PR is not about the shiny graphics. the Devs do an amazing job with what they're given. Other than ARMA2, there is no other engine that meets the requirements. BF3 might change that, but judging by the recent trend of Battlefield games it'll just be another CoD clone with vehicles.
PieEaterer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Katarn
Retired PR Developer

The Refractor 2 engine didn't look good when it came out, nevermind nearly 6 years later. Compare it to games that came out within the same 12 month span - Doom 3, Far Cry, Half-Life 2, etc. which (all released earlier) HAVE held up very well and still look fantastic even by today's standards. It does have capabilities that other engines do not and that's why it is most appropriate that PR started and still is on it.
Katarn is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
Scot
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Scot

I was actually thinking yesterday, PR's weapon models are amazing. They look so good in game in my opinion, vehicles look great too, for me it's mainly player models which really show the age of the engine.

Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
masterceo

^^^ that and the terrain, which looks awful imo. PR's weapon and vehicle models still look great.

Priby:Why cant i be norwegian?
H.sta:becouse we are a specially selected bunch of people created by god to show how awsome mankind can be
masterceo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
Froztbyte

Yeah, player models and terrain (Trees etc)
but ehhh, I dont think the graphics are too bad.
Give me gameplay and fun over graphics anyday.

In-Game Name: Froztbyte_UK

Enlisted during Mini-Mod v0.25
Froztbyte is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Booyak

yes the bf2 project reality graphics dont look very real but hey as long as theres good gameplay/sound and detailed models im fine with the not so high end graphics
Booyak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
[R-MOD]Spec
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

I never found it to be looking too bad actually. I mean, it works. It's not an immersion breaker.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
Cassius
Supporting Member

They were never that great to begin with, not even on release date. I played Doom3 before, so yeah.

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
[R-DEV]Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
I was actually thinking yesterday, PR's weapon models are amazing. They look so good in game in my opinion, vehicles look great too, for me it's mainly player models which really show the age of the engine.
They looks so good, because we don't have any lods for them and probably why PR lags so good too.

[R-DEV]Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
age, bf2, graphics