project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
NinJawa

Angry Is it just me are pistols not very good?

Is it just me or are pistols almost useless? Now, it could be simply due to lag, but I've had several occasions where I've unloaded multiple shots into my enemies only to have them hipfire me to death:

1: Al Basrah: Was laying down covering fire for my squad with a sniper rifle when I noticed an enemy pass me from the corner of my eye. I went up behind him and shot him at least 4 times at almost point blank, but he spun around and killed me with his assault rifle. As I lay on the ground dying I noticed he had a medic kit, but he made no attempt to heal himself after the brief fight, instead continuing to fire on my teammates. Was he even hurt at all?

2: Muttrah City: Was a SL waiting for my squad on a rooftop. I heard footsteps so I ran over to the ladder, which was the only entrance, with my handgun. As he started to climb I absolutely lit him up, firing every bullet in my clip at him. Alas, he still had time to completely climb the ladder and kill me instead.

That's all I'm going to mention, but I think you get the point. Here's my question: Has this ever happened to anyone else? I know it's not bad accuracy on my part because with any other gun I would have hit.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Eddiereyes909
Retired Forum Moderator
Send a message via AIM to Eddiereyes909 Send a message via MSN to Eddiereyes909
Default Re: Is it just me or do pistols SUCK?

A side arm, is a side arm..

The first one might just have been lag, trust me, pistols do kill people.

On the second one, why didn't you just use your rifle?

"You know we've had to imagine the war here, and we have imagined that it was being fought by aging men like ourselves. We had forgotten that wars were fought by babies. When I saw those freshly shaved faces, it was a shock "My God, my God?" I said to myself. "It's the Children's Crusade."- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughter House Five
Old 08-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
[R-DEV]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Developer

The pistols take a few body shots (is it 3-4?) but 1 headshot puts them down

YouTube - Project Reality 0.87 Jabal JDAM
Old 08-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Jigsaw

It's you. I have slayed many bodies with my trusty pistol, it's always useful as a backup but the best thing to do as Eddie says is use your assault rifle. Pistols are very small calibre so obviously take more shots than a rifle to kill.

You'll find at close ranges though that they can be very accurate.

Also re-named the thread, cos they don't

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
Old 08-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
NinJawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Jigsaw View Post
It's you. I have slayed many bodies with my trusty pistol, it's always useful as a backup but the best thing to do as Eddie says is use your assault rifle. Pistols are very small calibre so obviously take more shots than a rifle to kill.

You'll find at close ranges though that they can be very accurate.

Also re-named the thread, cos they don't
Alright, thanks. I guess.... Anyway, that was probably lag, and on a server with a better connection it would have worked... By the way, I had to reload my rifle but didn't have enough time before I heard the footsteps.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
ComradeHX
Banned
Supporting Member
Default Re: Is it just me are pistols not very good?

1st one: definitely lag.

I once shot a Bluefor SL from behind (he was looking to the distance with his rangefinder in the last minute of the game), took his kit, killed his medic (who fails to eliminate the enemy, me, before starting to heal), then shot a guy when going around a wall next to the cache compound...then the game ended.

All of them took around 4-5 shots(though I did empty the whole mag on each person just for fun).

So you should definitely kill the guy if the hits registered.

2nd one: might be a thing like in vBF2, your head can stick a little above the ladder but only when you get off the ladder does that Claymore kill you...
Old 08-27-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
Slightchance

The one time I've used a pistol took the entire magazine to kill the guy. That was at a medium distance with the enemy moving around, so I think that was more of my problems with aiming than the pistols actually sucking. Hitreg or ping can always be a problem though.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 AM   #8
Dev1200

.45 caliber pistol round does not mean that it does more damage then a .30 caliber rifle round

Old 08-27-2010, 03:30 AM   #9
badmojo420
Supporting Member

They're not very good. I made a thread about the same thing a while back...

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-...low-power.html
Old 08-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
cocobutter333

I think pistols are as balanced as they should be in PR, they are mainly to be used as a back up weapon sound like your using it in the wrong situations - e.g

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJawa View Post
1: Al Basrah: Was laying down covering fire for my squad with a sniper rifle when I noticed an enemy pass me from the corner of my eye. I went up behind him and shot him at least 4 times at almost point blank, but he spun around and killed me with his assault rifle. As I lay on the ground dying I noticed he had a medic kit, but he made no attempt to heal himself after the brief fight, instead continuing to fire on my teammates. Was he even hurt at all? .

I would have just got the hell out of there no point engaging as a lone sniper against an AR, just fall back a re position rathere than get closer to him lol just doesnt make sense

i tend to get more headshots with the pistol than with my main weapon during CQB
Closed Thread

Tags
good, pistols, suck