project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
27 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
boilerrat

Default Rounds per minute

A question for the DEVs...

How do you guys figure the rounds per minute for a gun? Is there an actual "roundsPerMinute" function type thing or do you have a crazy BF2 unit that you have to convert to real life numbers?

PR related, because I want to know if the fire rates are realistic or hollywood.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Jigsaw

Default Re: Rounds per minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerrat View Post
PR related, because I want to know if the fire rates are realistic or hollywood.
Surely that's obvious, this is PR afterall

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
Old 08-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
[R-MOD]Spec
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

I heared that RPM can only be done in steps of 300. So a gun that'd normally have 800 PRM would have to be set to 900 RPM or 600 RPM. I suspect that some guns, for balancing and engine limitation reasons, have been set to a number not exactly reflecting the actual rate of fire, but I don't know that for sure.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 08-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
boilerrat

If that is the case of balancing, how many of the gun's fire rates are unrealistic?

It would be nice to have everything real despite the balancing issues.

Last edited by boilerrat; 08-14-2010 at 04:17 PM..
Old 08-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
gazzthompson

Just to back up what spec op said, i do believe there are limitations of ROF and the devs cant just set it to any number they want.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Grim1316

indeed I believe it tops out at 1200 Rounds Per Minute, e.g. the a-10 in game actually fires 4 projectiles for every one round displayed on the ammo counter.

[R-CON]Outlawz : what's next: remove this and that guy's rifle because he shot you?
At the end we'd end up with Project Hello Kitty where everyone hugs each other and the only way to die is getting beaten to death with fluffy balls.

Captain Zapp Brannigan: In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Jigsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerrat View Post
It would be nice to have everything real despite the balancing issues.
Balance > ultimate realism.

Imho.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
Old 08-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Spinkyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim1316 View Post
indeed I believe it tops out at 1200 Rounds Per Minute, e.g. the a-10 in game actually fires 4 projectiles for every one round displayed on the ammo counter.
Maximum featured in game is 1800 rounds per minute as far as I know. Biggest discrepancies are for the miniguns / aircraft cannons and that's about it (but lower end of actual is around 1800 anyway). I think the dual / quad guns are limited in fire rate for the vehicle not per gun such as the Tunguska although not certain about that. The main issue beyond that is hit detection, lag and sound most likely.

I'm sure if it was possible accurate RPM figures would be there and for hand-held weapons it's probably correct. In other games you use to set fire rate to 600 for convenience since it would mean the fire loop sample would be exactly 0.1 seconds (so easy to sync as not recurring) but I think BF2 works around that.
Last edited by Spinkyone; 08-14-2010 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: my Russian sucks: it's Tunguska
Old 08-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
Ts4EVER
FH2 Developer

Yeah, you can only have certain rpms. In Fh2 the MG42 has to fire 2 projectiles at once at 600rpm to get to 1200.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
nedlands1

ObjectTemplate.fire.roundsPerMinute X, where X is the cyclic firing rate in rounds per minute.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread

Tags
minute, rounds