project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
fred450
Default Pistols and close combat

I was thinking........... is there a way to give pistols an edge in tight places? I mean, IRL it can be kinda clumsy to walk in CQB with big guns... and pistols clearly have an edge on that department. But in game you're as agile with a pistol as with any weapon.

Well, I don't know what's possible with BF2 engine... maybe different mouse sensitivities? Is it possible to give guns collision properties so their barrels keep knocking onto walls if you're not carefull?

Well, just an idea...
Last edited by fred450; 07-29-2006 at 09:58 AM..
Old 07-29-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Nuclearmissile

Well, i dunno anything about the BF2 engine, but ill try to answer based on my experience with Source( punting stuff around with my gravity gun)
The mouse sensitivity maaayy be possible, but unlikely, the collision thing i think is very unlikely.
A simpler solution would be to increase your speed and sprint times with the pistol out
Old 07-29-2006, 10:06 AM   #3
Dylan

Send a message via MSN to Dylan

Why would you need speed and greater sprint with a pistol in CQB. Close quarters battle. In CQB, you dont go running around corners, but move slowly, or move in with an element that clears the entity with you.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
Nuclearmissile

ahhhh.... i was thinking agility-i know this is almost impossible with the BF2 engine, but maybe it would be possible to add the ability to lean around corners like COD2
Old 07-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
Dylan

Hate to burst your bubble AGAIN, but it has been told numerous times that the leaning function is practically impossible with the BF2 engine. If its not already in the engine, it probally isnt possible.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
Eden

Sounds like the "You run faster with the knife out" syndrom, remember that you still have all your equipment on you, your not going to me any more faster or agile.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
fred450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan
Why would you need speed and greater sprint with a pistol in CQB. Close quarters battle. In CQB, you dont go running around corners, but move slowly, or move in with an element that clears the entity with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden
Sounds like the "You run faster with the knife out" syndrom, remember that you still have all your equipment on you, your not going to me any more faster or agile.
well, it makes sense to me, since in CQB ppl strafe to avoid getting hit, the increase in speed would help a bit, yes. But the ideal would be just to affect the weapon movement, IMO. It would also help against the support spamming thing.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
NikovK
Retired PR Developer

The knife, and maybe the pistol, could be permitted to fire while sprinting.

Mapper of Road to Kyongan'Ni and Hills of Hamgyong;
Genius behind many Really Stupid Ideas, and some Decent Ones.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #9
Dylan

I can see the knife being able to be deployed while sprinting, but any firearm would be extremly unnaccurate.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
coolhand

Well the cone of fire should expand for all weapons in relation to how much the player is moving/changing aim. Of course, it should'nt be much when mouselooking, a little bit when moving, and a lot when changing stances. Pistols can be given the advantage by having the least expansion in it's cone of fire, making almost shoot whereever you aim it no matter where or how much your'e moving.
It should however have limited range - 50m at max or so.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Tags
close, combat, pistols