project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
20 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
Looy
Default Jumping and Falling

Just my general opinions on Jumping and Fall damage in PR.

Jumping uses way too much stamina, especially considering it can only be used to clear waist high obstacles, so you could consider it a representation of a mantle. Sometimes I'll be sprinting across the map when I come across a waist high fence that continues for maybe 5metres each direction and I'll just go around it as jumping it will drain about 1/3 of my stamina and leave me walking the rest of the way. Maybe this was put in to discourage bunny hopping, but jumping disables your weapon for about 3 seconds anyway so bunny hopping is already useless.

Fall damage is a little too high as well. IRL due to being a clumsy dumbass I have fallen from at least 1 storey heights without hurting myself, and one of those was landing on my spine. In game, a 1 storey fall will make you begin bleeding out, you even take damage if you run down the stairs too quickly. The fall damage from hitting water is also far too high, you shouldn't be able to survive falling out a plane without using the parachute, but jumping of the aircraft carriers shouldn't harm you.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
maarit
Supporting Member

Default Re: Jumping and Falling

you are right.
expecially in fall damage.

there should be little less damage cos i cant really climp down using cliffs and stuff.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
goguapsy

Uh well... jumping from the carrier is pretty high and you are carrying some heavy equipment, so... yeah.

Also the jumping height is good enough, because it is good to "mantle" objects. Also, with some time, you'll get the hang for controlling exactly where you are going to land (and control your air speed).

And you got it right, the stamina bar rape is to prevent bunny hoping. The thing about bunny hoping is that, even though they can't shoot you, you can't hit him, so it's there to prevent Matrix style bullet-dodging. Bunny hoping allied with the hitboxes in BF2+ping = totally unrealistic jumping, know what I'm saying?

Guys, when a new player comes, just answer his question and go on your merry way, instead of going berserk! It's THAT simple!

[/CENTER]
Old 07-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Jumping wise, its mostly to stop bunny hopping. Mapper should do their best to lower their walls so that peopel can jump them or at least doesn't bug the vulnerability of the enemy, however thats the only way forward at this point.

Don't jump off the carrier, don't jump out of planes...just dont, the game is asking you not to.

falling ingame with all your kit is dangerous, IRL you might turn your ankle and be unable to run, we can't simulate that ingame, so you get hurt.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
obZen

The thing I really hate is how it seems almost all windows and ledges are inches too high for you to hit something while crouching.

Yeah they might be like that in real life, but when you crouch in real life you can also adjust your height some.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
richyrich55

Send a message via MSN to richyrich55

About jumping, I really think all maps should have those little tiny ledges that you have to jump over when you should be able to walk over them lowered like what had to be done on Fallujah. In some places it's understandable but others it's just plain dumb.

"What's the advantage of these choppers when compared to a squad medic?"
Pirate
"Medics dont have rotors."
rampo93(FIN)

Old 08-06-2010, 05:10 AM   #7
Darknecron

I have to agree that jumping takes far too much stamina. Look at what marines go through during the crucible...I'm sure they do a lot more jumping then we do in PR.

And as for damage, I agree. These are trained soldiers, they know how to clear 10 foot obstructions (and stairs...) without hurting themselves. I think it would take a 20 or so foot drop to realy do some damage, especially since they are used to carrying so much gear.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknecron View Post
I have to agree that jumping takes far too much stamina. Look at what marines go through during the crucible...I'm sure they do a lot more jumping then we do in PR.
The reason jumping takes so much stamina is to stop bunny hopping. I don't know if you've noticed, but it's highly effective in that regard.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

Old 08-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
mangeface
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]BloodBane611 View Post
The reason jumping takes so much stamina is to stop bunny hopping. I don't know if you've noticed, but it's highly effective in that regard.
Would you mind elaborating on the whole falling issue? I know I sprint down a set of stairs and *BAM*, I'm bleeding out. Or I fall of a small obstacle like a shed and I'm bleeding out. I personally find that to be quite ridiculous. I can understand falling off a 2 story building, or something over appx. 12 feet as that would mess someone up a bit, like they'd break their ankle or something. But I feel that this is one of the bigger issues that's not brought up enough compared to someone wanting a 3rd deployabe .50 cal HMG at the already well protected FOBs.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
Ford_Jam

PR = Tripping down one step and bleeding to death.
Closed Thread

Tags
falling, jumping