project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Vietnam General Discussion
21 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:Vietnam General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Vietnam modification.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
SaleemAfsoonMahmoud
Default Factions?

Will PR:V have the NVA and VC against the U.S.?

Please tell me that it will not just be an insurgency game and will have the U.S. pitted against the NVA regulars. I am sick of seeing Vietnam movies and playing Vietnam games where the two factions are the U.S. and the VC.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
imuhim

Default Re: Factions?

The NVA and VC are completly different
The VC are not a ligit army and are a bunch of farm people defending their country from the "evil Invaders"
The NVA just want to take over all of veitnam and Make it one big communist country
Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
Snazz
Supporting Member

Apparently yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]TrahnLee View Post
With regard to the armies.. The US Army, ARVN, Aussies, French, NVA and Vietcong are all armies already to go.
Regarding NVA in Vietnam war media. I'm pretty sure Battlefield Vietnam had them, as well as the movie We Were Soldiers.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
TrahnLee
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazz View Post
Apparently yes.

Regarding NVA in Vietnam war media. I'm pretty sure Battlefield Vietnam had them, as well as the movie We Were Soldiers.
The NVA are in the mod build..

Yes, "We Were Soldiers" had the NVA in the movie.. In fact, that is the whole battle senario.. The Battle of Ia Drang was the first major battle between the United States Army and the People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN) (referred to by US fighting units as the North Vietnamese Army (NVA) during the Vietnam War.

The two-part battle took place between November 14 and November 18, 1965, at two landing zones (LZs) northwest of Plei Me in the Central Highlands of South Vietnam (approximately 35 miles south-west of Pleiku).

The movie is based on real life events and of course, no Vietnam mod would be complete without the NVA.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
chagadiel

ARVN early 60's
ARVN have wwII weapons as discussed in other parts
2 squad leaders classes one is limited to 2 squads only and is an american with m1 carbines
the other squad leader class is vietnamese with thompson

the arvn had terrible morale and an idea i had was that as long as the american leaders where in a spesific range or a link between arvn players and THE players morale would be fine.

if there was no squad leaders at all near an arvn player and he was supressed for x amount of time he would automaticly drop his kit for x amount of time

being within a normal squad leader or leaders would be some where in between.

to counter this obvious flaw the other faction could be local force vietcong which also had old only wwII weapons and old french stuff

the best maps for this would be dence village populations like the mekong.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
sharpie
Supporting Member

Having the player get his kit dropped after being supressed like that is a realistic idea, but not very practical in the game. Dont get me wrong its a good idea, just not one that would benefit the guy playing as an ARVN soldier without a rifle. I like the idea however.

"Tom I think you have influenced the combat effectiveness of this team! Everyone has gone full potato."~Foxxyfrost
[DM]P*Funk: its like a funk guitar seminar up in that bitch
K_Rivers-"...everything is broken in your country,"
RinWarZip: Your butthurt is like cold september morning by the seashore for me. Refreshing. Pepper mint.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
chagadiel

i was thinking as long as there is a linked distance from player to player or web and a squad leader was in it. then they where fine. but go lone wolf and you where useless. more an idea tawards getting team work.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Imchicken1

I wouldnt mind seeing the VC in some kind of insurgency like game mode.. Rather than cache's, u have to destroy their cattle or crops

I won't cluck for you
Old 06-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
SaleemAfsoonMahmoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]TrahnLee View Post
The NVA are in the mod build..

Yes, "We Were Soldiers" had the NVA in the movie.. In fact, that is the whole battle senario.. The Battle of Ia Drang was the first major battle between the United States Army and the People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN) (referred to by US fighting units as the North Vietnamese Army (NVA) during the Vietnam War.

The two-part battle took place between November 14 and November 18, 1965, at two landing zones (LZs) northwest of Plei Me in the Central Highlands of South Vietnam (approximately 35 miles south-west of Pleiku).

The movie is based on real life events and of course, no Vietnam mod would be complete without the NVA.
That was a great movie. I just wish that it had included both parts of the battle where the 2nd battalion/7th Cavalry were moving to LZ Albany and were decimated. I feel as though people will totally forget about the second part of the battle and think that it just ended when the 1st battalion/7th cavalry was relieved.

And other than that movie, most movies don't really portray the war well at all.

Glad to see all of these factions in the game though, EXCITED!
Old 06-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
SaleemAfsoonMahmoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by imuhim View Post
The NVA and VC are completly different
The VC are not a ligit army and are a bunch of farm people defending their country from the "evil Invaders"
The NVA just want to take over all of veitnam and Make it one big communist country
This is the typical view of an American that does not know anything about the war at all. Please don't make the rest of us look bad.

The Vietnamese people wanted independence from foreign rule. The French had control of Vietnam against the will of the Vietnamese. During WWII, they fled the scene when the Japanese came. After the war, the Vietnamese people wanted independence and asked the US for that independence. The US, however, wanted to reimpose French colonial rule in Vietnam because of their ties to the French. Even after the split, the North Vietnamese were not the aggressors, as the US led and supported South Vietnamese commandos on strikes against North Vietnamese military installations. Maybe this is why we were looked at as "evil invaders". Not everything that we do is so "good".

The South Vietnamese government backed by the US was actually extremely corrupt, both before and after the war. Is this better than the North Vietnamese want to unite Vietnam into one, communist state?

Also, contrary to American belief, the NVA and VC were not just some random fighting force. They had been fighting invaders for thousands of years. They had a militaristic culture and a fighting mentality. The NVA was also a very experienced fighting force, as proved against the French at Dien Bien Phu, where it defeated many of France's elite troops.

Tags
factions