project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support
20 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
DonMendonsa
Default Unbelievable Loading Time -_-

I looked at other posts but they confused me. So what I'll do is post my Specs and let you have at it. I have no clue why it takes so long. It takes three minutes for the loading bar to move over 3 pixel colums... and its still at 0%. Anyway, here are the specs:

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor 3.3GHz ea.
8.0 GB RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (build 7600), 64-bit
ATI display adapter (0x68BE)
ATI Radeon HD 5750 Card
ATX 12v 2.2 500 WATT Power Supply

This comp cost over 2G's and I got it no more than a week ago. Tell me whats up?
If you need to know anything else, ask me...

Note: It tends to happen on and off. However, it still happens more often than not. If I'm lucky, I can get one game in a day. It is also affecting BF2 w/e it is.
Last edited by DonMendonsa; 06-02-2010 at 01:39 AM..
Old 06-02-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
DonMendonsa
Default Re: Unbelievable Loading Time -_-

Someone help me? Answers pl0x??? D=
DonMendonsa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
FuzzySquirrel

Send a message via Skype™ to FuzzySquirrel

Defrag your HD

Update Punkbuster

Clear your BF2 Cache

Also, Have you tried any comparability modes?

FuzzySquirrel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
DonMendonsa

Um... I'm not VERY tech savvy. All I know is that I got this about a week ago and I rushed into it. My old computer(laptop) couldn't run this game for *insert expletive here* but it never had these problems. Mind explaining how to perform each of those? I know its more helpful to know that you're helping someone who knows their stuff but I haven't been able to play this game in a long time. So I don't know much. Not even how to parachute... I'll read the manual later >.>

... I swear... I haven't had this game installed for more than 2 days so I don't believe it's the cache. However I'm willing to try anything. Just need the know how. Even for cache clearing. ^_^
Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
FuzzySquirrel

Send a message via Skype™ to FuzzySquirrel

To defrag

Start > Computer > Right Click on C: > Properties > Tools > Defragment

To Clear bf2 cache (delete everything in here)

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache\

and to Update Punkbuster

>>> Download <<< run that and its pretty self explanatory.

FuzzySquirrel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
DonMendonsa

I'm very confused right now. I really don't know what to think of this. I performed all those steps. Even in order. I ran into no problems what so ever. I tried playing a round. The same thing happened. Unbelievably slow loading. I restarted the computer. Tried it again. Same thing. The reason why I'm so confused is that I managed to play last night and I was playing for hours. I didn't want to lose the oppurtunity. It just started working last night at about 11PM after HOURS of trying to get it to work. And it just started randomly. I played till 5am. (REALLY didn't want to waste it). And now, here I am. The next day. And I get ziltch. Is there something I'm missing? I've redownloaded before. Did it 3 days ago. I really don't want to redownload it again because I ran into a lot of problems that delayed my play time by two days when I first downloaded it.

Any other suggestions or ideas?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
SnipeHunt
Supporting Member

just a thought.....fire up the task manager before the game and it it lags just tab over to see if your cpu or ram is maxxed out.. I know your specs are enough to pilot the space shuttle, but maybe there is something going on there.
SnipeHunt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
WhatMan
Banned

First of all, is your Windows clean of any crap? Spyware, etc? If you don't know, get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Do a scan....
  • Do you have a anti-virus?
  • Have you disabled UAC?
  • Try running it as Administrator by right click PR

After you done the above,

Get Vista Optimizer > Set it to Gaming Mode
http://vista-services-optimizer.goog.../vso_12108.exe

After Gaming Mode is set,
right click on Desktop > Personalization > Windows Classic

And try PR with admin privileges
WhatMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
DonMendonsa

I figured out the issue. I still need help with it because it is a massive inconvenience to me. Last night, it wasn't working, as usual. I tried flipping around some of the graphics and what not. I set it as low as possible; It failed. I set it high as possible; It failed. I got fed up so I uninstalled it an redownloaded it. I tried to play a game, and ta-da! It worked. However, I noticed something; Every single time I've ever been able to play the game, the first time I load a server, it always gives me the notice that it's optimizing the shaders. So then it hit me, there is a bug correlating between the graphics and the game. My graphics won't reset! I tried again this morning to play, didn't work. I altered my video settings once more and tried to play again. Didn't work! It confirmed my theory! However there is one little hiccup. Like I just mentioned, I couldn't play in the morning although the settings I used last night were working. Therefore I have debunked the possibility of it actually being my graphics. The issue is that there is something blocking the game from updating the graphics settings or stopping them from being used. I change my graphics to the highest setting, doesn't work; I reinstall the game, it works with current settings(MAXED); I come back the next day with the same settings, doesn't work. I know I'm repeating myself but I'm trying to paint a very clear picture for you.

Another issue I forgot to mention is that whenever I close PR, whether I managed to get it working or not, I always hear the "ding" sound as if an error window popped up. However, no such window ever appears. I tried catching it by having the Task Manager opened while I close the game, the sound occurs, however no window pops up nor shows on the task manager. I'm thinking a very strong internal error.

As I mentioned in a previous post, this affects my BF2 game as well. Same issue with loading time. However, I know it's not BF2 because I can play it fine until I download PR. Then, all I can do is get lucky to get a game going. There is something in the PR files causing an error. Maybe a bug that was unseen? I've redownloaded core and levels and reinstalled PR countless times. And yet, this still happens.

Basically, the only way for me to play the game until I shut it down and repeat this step is to change to graphics to w/e setting, uninstall the game and reinstall which takes about 10 minutes. As you may or may not be able to imagine, this could get rather annoying -_-. Quite frankly, I do not wish to do this every time NOR should I have to.

Now that we have a better understanding of what it could POSSIBLY be, is there any further help that anyone can give me? I'm really starting to lose confidence in this. I don't want to but it's happening. I just wanna play the game...

T-T
Last edited by DonMendonsa; 06-03-2010 at 03:41 PM..
Old 06-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
DonMendonsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeHunt View Post
just a thought.....fire up the task manager before the game and it it lags just tab over to see if your cpu or ram is maxxed out.. I know your specs are enough to pilot the space shuttle, but maybe there is something going on there.
In reply to this, no the game only spikes it to 25% CPU usage.

Tags
loading, time, unbelievable