project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
BlackwaterSaxon

Default Snipers and personal experience

We've all seen them, the two man locked sniper squads (I do this myself), but has anyone been on a server where such a squad has provided the function they're designed for? My understanding of a sniper squad is a squad that takes out priority targets such as enemy commanders/officers and personnel on weapon systems such as technical gunners and fixed weapon emplacements. They are also there to provide information on enemy movements, fixed enemy locations and FOB locations, lazing of targets, passing the intel gathered on to the commander.

My question is, has anyone ever seen this achieved in game and did it have an impact on the way that the rest of the force acted? Personally I rarely see any of this achieved, and having been a commander and being told that my sniper squad did not have a mic and would not be providing intel on targets, the whole premise of snipers within PR simply annoys me.

Are sniper squads of any use in game? Are they simply there to satisfy those who have seen Jarhead way too many times?

BlackwaterSaxon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Foxxy

Default Re: Snipers and personal experience

i only go sniper squad when my 2 friends are on who are very new to PR xD

[TMP] FoxxyFrost
|TG-Irr| FoxxyFrost
|UO|FoxxyFrost
Foxxy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I've seen it well used on maps like muttrah when the sniper is in coms with my squad, alternatively they work quite well as the rear squad on a map like Qwai for fire support.

direct coms with the sniper or a commander with direct coms to the sniper is what makes them useful, since they don't have a radio atm.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Ford_Jam

First time I tried it, I was horribly bored and couldn't hit anything

Second time I was horribly bored but started killing guys Jumped out of my chair in excitement when I hit a guy sprinting at 910m

Snipers do have a use, but it's rarely seen...
Ford_Jam is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Bushrag

I run the 2 man squad on occasion and find it very helpful, awhile back I ran one on Fools Road, did alot of stalking and reporting to our commander. We located several fire bases and marked them for the armor to eliminate, also whipped out an entire squad trying to flank our team as well as killed a few snipers stalking another squad on our side.

Overall, if used correctly, I find them very useful and very informative.
Bushrag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Tahanatos

Send a message via ICQ to Tahanatos Send a message via Skype™ to Tahanatos

On the old Ashad Kahl the round depended on how well the snipers took out the HMGs on the left flank.
Just like that old map where chinese and british fought over an old fortress in a riverbed. If you had good chinese Snipers the British were unable to move out of the woods.

With this update a good Sniper SQ consists of a Sniper and an Officer so that they dont need a Com to report contacts therefore in theory the Sniper has become a lot more effective.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2511/sithis.png
Tahanatos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

From many experience as commander, you rarely get a response from the sniper squads. My personal opinion is you should be passing intel to your team or CO before thinking about engaging anything.

Its a kit that obviously can be useful, but its like light to flies for lone wolfs/micless/unwilling to teamwork players and on most occasions not used to its full potential.

Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Excavus

Snipers can be much more useful post .9 now that they have radios, so they can mark their own targets instead of relaying it to the commander.
Excavus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
Gosu-Rizzle

As anything else, it comes down to the players.. Sniper squads can be great for the team if they provide good intel, lase targets for CAS and take out high value targets. (ATs, lmgs, squad leaders)
And that does happend sometimes. Unfortunately, it seems to me, the sniper kit is very much a noob-magnet... And since noobs/players are hardcoded, there is really nothing we can do about that.
Gosu-Rizzle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
mat552

I've heard whispers from veterans of Silent Eagle and Kashan desert about what happens when snipers pull this stuff off. Terms like "25 minute victory" and "utterwtfbbqpwn" seem to follow these rumors, like the songs sung by victors past. Rarer than winning three $50M lottery tickets right in a row, they are the rounds that we use as examples to entice new players to PR.

In short, yes, it's rare but it's unmistakable and absolutely awesome to bear witness to.

Players might be hardcoded, but that sure doesn't seem to stop anybody from trying.

The only winning move is not to play. Insurgency, that is.
mat552 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
experience, personal, snipers