project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
26 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
mnovachis24
Default What are assault rifles zeroed in at?

Im having a hard time hitting prone and standing up enemies with assault rifles due to the bullet drop. I know sniper rifles are zeroed in at 600 something meters, but what range does bullet drop start to effect assault rifles?
mnovachis24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Scared_420
Default Re: What are assault rifles zeroed in at?

assault rifles dont have bullet drop until 400m and markmen/sniperrifles are 600m
Scared_420 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
[R-DEV]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared_420 View Post
assault rifles dont have bullet drop until 400m and markmen/sniperrifles are 600m
I was under the impression that the assault rifle bullet drop began at 150m, but it's 3:15am and I'm rather sleepy so it could be the insomniac fueled delusion talking here
[R-DEV]Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
Th3Exiled

1. Guns are not zeroed
2. Drop starts immediately
3. It is not noticeable for the first 2-3 hundred metres (vertical component velocity is small at this stage, this is compounded by the fact that the time of flight is only a small fraction of a second.)
4. tracers travel at 70% (? not a 100% sure of the fraction) velocity compared to non-tracer rounds :. Tracers will take longer to reach target and drop slightly more than non-tracer rounds.

Drop is very small in-game within the effective range of assault rifles, watch your tracers to give you a better idea of the trajectory of your round. keep in mind that tracers will have more drop due to their lower velocity and hence will impact lower (not by much though) than normal non-tracer rounds.

Exiled.
Th3Exiled is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
Silly_Savage

You are all wrong.

Assault rifles are zeroed at 300m. Sniper rifles are zeroed at 600m.

There are no proper ballistics. Bullets fly straight up until their zero mark, where they then begin to drop.

"Jafar, show me a sniper rifle." - Silly_Savage 2013
Silly_Savage is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
McBumLuv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Exiled View Post
1. Guns are not zeroed
3. It is not noticeable for the first 2-3 hundred metres (vertical component velocity is small at this stage, this is compounded by the fact that the time of flight is only a small fraction of a second.)
4. tracers travel at 70% (? not a 100% sure of the fraction) velocity compared to non-tracer rounds :. Tracers will take longer to reach target and drop slightly more than non-tracer rounds.

Drop is very small in-game within the effective range of assault rifles, watch your tracers to give you a better idea of the trajectory of your round. keep in mind that tracers will have more drop due to their lower velocity and hence will impact lower (not by much though) than normal non-tracer rounds.

Exiled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Savage View Post
You are all wrong.

Assault rifles are zeroed at 300m. Sniper rifles are zeroed at 600m.

There are no proper ballistics. Bullets fly straight up until their zero mark, where they then begin to drop.

Savage, Exiled's got it right. in fact iirc it was Nedlands who was the first to explain the entire "concept" of zeroing at 300 meters. It's not so much that it's zeroed there as that the drop is so minute that the deviation has a far greater effect and so any drop is unnoticeable. The only feasible reason the Devs could have opted against using actual ballistics was that they prefered having realistic tracer:non-tracer ball ratios over realistic ballistics (see 4th point, explored by zangoo). I personally don't agree with that decision, but that hasn't changed much over each release so we can assume that there won't be any change any time soon.

It should be said that the only actual mod for BF2 with proper zeroing and range elevation was the Wookie Sniper mod (an awesome mod BTW). As I understand it, many of the people who worked on certain aspects of that mod are also within the PR community.

McBumLuv is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:11 AM   #7
Silly_Savage

From what Jaymz has told me, the bullet flies a straight line up until the zero mark, from which there it begins to drop.

Perhaps it was not important enough to mention the minute drop the bullet undergoes up until the zero mark? Nonetheless, you do not need to worry about bullet drop until the bullet actually passes 300m.

As McLuv has stated, you should be more concerned about deviation.

"Jafar, show me a sniper rifle." - Silly_Savage 2013
Last edited by Silly_Savage; 04-19-2010 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: Tired
Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 AM   #8
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

although savage and exiled got two different explanations, they both mean the same thing (no/veryvery minute drop) up until 300m for ordinary rifles like the m16, but m4,tavor and other short barrel weapons have weapon drop after 150m as far as i remember.

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto: "Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac"
[R-CON]Pantera : "maybe you might learn that we are not super intelligent beings chained in UKF's basement being forced to work on this".
motherdear is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
Jonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Exiled View Post
1. Guns are not zeroed

Exiled.
Absolutely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Savage View Post
From what Jaymz has told me, the bullet flies a straight line up until the zero mark, from which there it begins to drop.
Jaymz was wrong.

I made the ballistics model to find exactly how a bullet moves in BF2, and it definately follows a ballistic trajectory. At no point does the bullet follow a straight line unless its fired either vertically upwards or downwards.

All guns in PR have traditionally been zeroed at 0m and the bullets have only a small amount of g affecting them.
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
[R-MOD]Mongolian_dude
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Absolutely correct.

Jaymz was wrong.

I made the ballistics model to find exactly how a bullet moves in BF2, and it definately follows a ballistic trajectory. At no point does the bullet follow a straight line unless its fired either vertically upwards or downwards.

All guns in PR have traditionally been zeroed at 0m and the bullets have only a small amount of g affecting them.
Then if Jaymz's explanation is wrong, there still needs to be an reason why the sights/optics are pinpoint accurate up until 300m; not rising and then falling to meet their zeroed range. If this was the case, engaging targets with a sniper rifle at close range would require one to aim extremely low to compensate for the observed 'rising' of the round.
I think?

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
[R-MOD]Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
assault, rifles, zeroed