project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Wilkinson

Send a message via AIM to Wilkinson Send a message via MSN to Wilkinson Send a message via Skype™ to Wilkinson
Default [?] Joint Operations Concept?

So me being the wierd guy I am had a vision.

Lets say groups have joint works. Uhm for example, US Army and British.
Now we know that we can't put both teams on the same map.

BUT we can change server.zips so that we can have different variations of teams in the area if you understand my thinking process. Now I don't know if you have to duplicate the client.zip which is obiviously the bulk of a map. But in essence, we'd have to replace and rename since the map exists.

Renaming a map as we know isn't hard. Just re-name EVERY File with some Hex Editor. I used UltraEdit when doing Raid of Fallujah which I renamed all of Fallujah West for. Lightmaps can be renamed also.

Unless we can run a rename of a map and not have to do a duplication of the client.zips. then It should take maybe 10-15 MB for a map in theory Correct?

I know that with ALL the maps this could possibly be for it would add up. I'm curious about this though..

DEVs? Modders?

Old 04-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Joint Operations Concept

We can change the team by loading a different init.con like we do for the SP mode if we really wanted to...

Old 04-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Wilkinson

Send a message via AIM to Wilkinson Send a message via MSN to Wilkinson Send a message via Skype™ to Wilkinson

Yeah I know it may sound kinda stupid but just a thought you know.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Sniper77shot

Wouldn't it be just as easy to have the map in a different game mode for example, Insurgency and then Insurgency Joint operations(or Joint), In theory this should work. Wait never mind you would have to do what wilkinson said. I know what your saying so I would have to agree with you.

As well wouldn't this just be a waste of file size, 10-15mb/s per map is a lot with 26 maps, multiplied by 15 equals 390 megabites more in file size for me downloading 0.9 was a hassle, so it wouldn't benefit anyone. I mean you would be better off just going on a different map for that faction. I mean for community events you could just upload the map so like you said it isn't hard to change the names of maps so you could just do that. I mean it is really easy to change map factions.

The code in the red is all you need to change for the map factions nothing to hard to do. This is an edit that takes less than a minute to do so you would be better of doing this than waiting 390 seconds for the the idea of what you said to do.

Quote:
rem *** Generated by BF2Editor ***
if v_arg1 == BF2Editor

run Heightdata.con
LevelSettings.InitWorld
run Terrain.con BF2Editor
run StaticObjects.con BF2Editor
run Sounds.con
run Sky.con BF2Editor
run Editor/GamePlayObjects.con host
UndergrowthEditable.create
Undergrowth.load Levels\albasrah\
run Overgrowth/Overgrowth.con
Overgrowth.editorEnable 1
run AmbientObjects.con BF2Editor
run Water.con
run TriggerableTemplates.con BF2Editor

else

run Heightdata.con
run Terrain.con v_arg2
run Sky.con v_arg2
run CompiledRoads.con
run Sounds.con
run SoundDistances.con
run tmp.con v_arg1
Undergrowth.load Levels\albasrah\
run Overgrowth/Overgrowth.con
run Overgrowth/OvergrowthCollision.con
run AmbientObjects.con
run Water.con
run TriggerableTemplates.con
run SoundDistances.con

endIf

rem ------------------------------- LevelSettings -------------------------------
rem -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

run ../../factions_usa/usa_ziptie.con
run ../../factions_meinsurgent/meinsurgent.con

rem -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

gameLogic.setBeforeSpawnCamera 253/26/-331 76/-11/0

if v_arg1 == BF2Editor
LevelSettings.CustomTextureSuffix "ab"
else
texturemanager.customTextureSuffix "ab"
endIf

GameLogic.MaximumLevelViewDistance 350

gameLogic.setDefaultNumberOfTicketsEx 16 1 9999
gameLogic.setDefaultNumberOfTicketsEx 16 2 250
gameLogic.setDefaultNumberOfTicketsEx 32 1 9999
gameLogic.setDefaultNumberOfTicketsEx 32 2 250
gameLogic.setDefaultNumberOfTicketsEx 64 1 9999
gameLogic.setDefaultNumberOfTicketsEx 64 2 250
gameLogic.setDefaultNumberOfTicketsEx 128 1 9999
gameLogic.setDefaultNumberOfTicketsEx 128 2 100
gameLogic.setDefaultTimeToNextAIWave 8
gameLogic.setTicketLossAtEndPerMin 1000
gameLogic.setTicketLossPerMin 1 10
gameLogic.setTicketLossPerMin 2 10
Then we get into the python coding, not to hard of a coding language but you have to make the new game modes then add it to the menu and so on, a process what really isn't even needed because you can just do a simple 1 minute edit for changing the factions.

I am converting strike at karkand to work in project reality. Never got to finishing it though. It is alot of work for changing all the vehicles, assets converting it to insurgency and removing some assets adding in caches and so on. I am completely converting it not just a little conversion 100% total conversion with 64 size single player support. For personal uses of course I will not release it.

It takes alot more time to do it with out a list of object spawners maybe today or in the next few days I will post a list of all the object spawners in project reality for vehicles.

Last edited by Sniper77shot; 04-11-2010 at 09:14 PM..
Old 04-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

there are alot of modifications to maps that can be done just using the server.zips, but if its just faction I don't see the point tbh, would be better for 'day 2' scenarios, something that feels like a new map but using teh same client.zip as the original would be worth it imo.

But it would need to actually feel different, not just "I love USMC, so I wanna have USMC on every map"

Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Wilkinson

Well i'm trying to look for a simpler way. Can we tell the game to load this map with this faction. Instead of having to redo every single file.

Rudd you do make a well point. There would have to be an atmosphere change. like lighting and setting and static placement. I get it.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
We can change the team by loading a different init.con like we do for the SP mode if we really wanted to...
You guys obviously didn't understand this so let me explain a little more.

You can get a different factions on the same map without having to clone the map and do loads of wacky coding by simply telling one gamemode layer to load anouther init.con much like we have for the SP layers where the SP layers load the "init_sp.con" which dosen't have different factions in it, instead the main thing different in them is its replaced the normal kits with SP kits but there is no reason why you couldn't use it to have different teams on the same map in different gamemode layers.

comprende?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
Wilkinson

Quote:

You can get a different factions on the same map without having to clone the map and do loads of wacky coding by simply telling one gamemode layer to load anouther init.con much like we have for the SP layers where the SP layers load the "init_sp.con" which dosen't have different factions in it, instead the main thing different in them is its replaced the normal kits with SP kits but there is no reason why you couldn't use it to have different teams on the same map in different gamemode layers.

comprende?
I comprende holmes.

Just Rudd made a pretty valid point about there would need to be something of a "Day 2" or different time in which the gameplay was occuring.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
HangMan_

Quote:

comprende?
Are you sure this works? I've tried this before and it did not work for me. I think the factions need to be the same as the ones in the init.con. I tried converting all my init_sp.cons to be canadian forces and it did not work.

PR Community Faction Team - "Getting Sh*t Done..."
Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 AM   #10
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]HangMan View Post
Are you sure this works? I've tried this before and it did not work for me. I think the factions need to be the same as the ones in the init.con. I tried converting all my init_sp.cons to be canadian forces and it did not work.
I've not tried it myself but I can not think of any reason why it wouldn't work or only need a little bit of tweaking to get it work since its all set in external files.

Check your working to see you've done everything, there is a few other things I think you need to do outside the init.con in the v0.9 setup iirc.

Closed Thread

Tags
concept, joint, operations