project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
26 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Eriand

Default x64, BF2.exe drops to 0% CPU and PR freezes

Hiho Folks!

Been getting this error ever since .9 (yay..!). Anyways, I did do a general search but found nothing about the 0% CPU issue, so I decided to create a new thread. If I was wrong, and there indeed is a thread on this SPECIFIC issue, then.. Delete the thread

SPECCS;

Win7 Pro x64 (yes, I have tried compatibility mode, administrator, low gfx etc etc)
8800GTS 640
C2D E6600 @ 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 ram at 800MHz (can't remember timings, but who cares..)

Have set exceptions to everything punkbuster/bf2/PR related in Comodo and everything else that I could think of.

Anyways, whenever I play (I can't seem to find a connection; it can be at the start of a map or 1 hour in. I might be in a chopper, or tank or on foot... On all maps as well). So what happens is the game freezes, and as I keep the Task manager on my second screen I can clearly see that BF2 drops to 0% CPU (memory stays about he same) for a good 30-40 seconds before finally going back to normal, where the game runs just fine.

It's not an overheating issue; my CPU is at a steady 55-60 degrees during, and my GPU is at 70-80ish. All acceptable if you ask me..

It's starting to piss me off. I am not dependable in anything, really. I can't fly (freeze = death), I can't drive/gun a tank/whatever (freeze = vulnerable = death). I can't have any other infantry role than rifleman either, which is okay I guess but it is quite limiting and not really fun at all (LAT freezing as the APC shows up YAY).

Have talked to some clanmates, and they've had the same problem. But they couldn't either pinpoint the root of the problem either, or why it stopped.

Anyone know ANYTHING?

thanks
/Eriand
Eriand is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
Graham
Default Re: x64, BF2.exe drops to 0% CPU and PR freezes

I did a little reading on the Processor, The max case tempature at MOST should be 60.1 Degrees Celcius,The Max Fan Inlet Tempature should be 40 Degrees Celcius. I don't think your problem is a tempature issue however In my openion you may want to look in to it. Hate to see you burn your processor up.

I have a Intel Core 2 Quad, When I had my Stock intel fan installed it made crappy connection with the processor and ran my CPU Temp at 55-60 Degrees Celcius down the board (Using Artic Silver 5 and RealTemp as a Monitor System). I had a little lag here and there just from the heat itself.

Try checking into maybe running your processor a little cooler?

If that don't work and keep it from crashing, Try your drivers.

Also, Have you tried other games? If so do they also stop running? (Help defer the overheating problem )

Best of luck to you bud,
-Graham

http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-030615.htm
Graham is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
BadGuy

I personally do not trust the x64 Processors, first all it is much slower and most things play terrible or crash and not even open with basic stuff. And no, overheating is not the problem. Project Reality is a 32 bit game.

Never get a x64 or 64 bit processor for any reason. Always get Core Duo.

Last edited by BadGuy; 03-18-2010 at 07:58 AM..
Old 03-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
[R-DEV]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGuy View Post
I personally do not trust the x64 Processors, first all it is much slower and most things play terrible or crash and not even open with basic stuff. And no, overheating is not the problem. Project Reality is a 32 bit game.

Never get a x64 or 64 bit processor for any reason. Always get Core Duo.
I seriously hope this guy is joking
[R-DEV]Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Eriand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I did a little reading on the Processor, The max case tempature at MOST should be 60.1 Degrees Celcius,The Max Fan Inlet Tempature should be 40 Degrees Celcius. I don't think your problem is a tempature issue however In my openion you may want to look in to it. Hate to see you burn your processor up.

I have a Intel Core 2 Quad, When I had my Stock intel fan installed it made crappy connection with the processor and ran my CPU Temp at 55-60 Degrees Celcius down the board (Using Artic Silver 5 and RealTemp as a Monitor System). I had a little lag here and there just from the heat itself.

Try checking into maybe running your processor a little cooler?

If that don't work and keep it from crashing, Try your drivers.

Also, Have you tried other games? If so do they also stop running? (Help defer the overheating problem )

Best of luck to you bud,
-Graham

Desktop — Thermal Management for Intel® Core™2 Family Desktop Processors
hiho thanks for the response :P

And I can promise you, it's not an overheating issue; I've run far more cpu intensive games than PR without having any choppyness as a result of heating problems, or at all for that matter (Bad company 2 being one of them)

I'm also using an after-market cooler, big copper thing that I slabbed on with AS5.

And as I said, it doesn't EVER happen in any other games so it shouldn't be heating related :P Also, during load (in PR) it barely touches 65% usage, so there's still plenty of juice left.

Bah, getting annoyed with it :\
/Eri
Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Eriand

So.. effectively no one knows anything on this subject? :\
Old 03-19-2010, 01:09 AM   #7
SnipingCoward

maybe you should try setting the affinity of pr to a single core only since it only uses one anyways (not multi-core capabale) that is why during loading your CPU is at 65% at max (50% = core nr. 1 at 100% and the other 15% = 30% core nr 2 [probably by background tasks and interrupts])

do you maybe get the "there is a problem with your connection" yellow ingame message?
when running fraps or renderer.drawfps 1 do the fps counter update or do they freez as well?
is your hdd having excessive usage during that period?

Got a PROBLEM? Check this: PR:BF2 Installation Guide

Got a common QUESTION? check here first: PR:BF2 FAQ, MUMBLE FAQ

"Hello, IT! ... Yes, have you tried turning it on and off again?"
Last edited by SnipingCoward; 03-19-2010 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
Eriand

Hey Sniping.

Seems I forgot to put that in the original post; but I have tried Affinity 1, 2 and 3. (so core 1, core 2 and both cores..). Still happens. Will try the renderer.drawfps next time I play.

ANd Nope, I don't get any message. And no, no demanding tasks running in background (only vent).
Old 03-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
SnipingCoward

Maybe its more simple:
Have you already tried to reinstalled BF2 and PR? (check that actually all folders have been deleted (e.g. in "My Documents")

Other things you can try:
Windows update
Update your drivers.
Reset BIOS to defaults.
Reset nVidia settings to default. (Switch modes to "Performance"/"High Performance" instead of "Quality").

You are not running SLI, right?

Got a PROBLEM? Check this: PR:BF2 Installation Guide

Got a common QUESTION? check here first: PR:BF2 FAQ, MUMBLE FAQ

"Hello, IT! ... Yes, have you tried turning it on and off again?"
SnipingCoward is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
BoarK

I also get random freezing since 0.9 on E8400 win7x64bit 4gb RAM 8800GT 512mb which requires a reset/cold boot. My machine runs BFBC2 in high settings @ 1680x1050 fine for hours. Reinstalled BF2/patches/PR0.9 twice. Waiting for a fix since PR is currently unplayable for me.
BoarK is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bf2exe, cpu, drops, freezes, x64