project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
25 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
amazing_retard
Default A second opinion on PR

When I first played PR I was blown away by how awesome it is. The detail, the models, etc. I remember when I first joined up in .8, it was awesome. Ya sure .8 had that horrible deviation, but there was a lot of team play, and the game was fun. I remember my first map was operation Archer, and I loved riding in a back of heuy, with my m16 sticking out. The game felt very tactical, even walking around and building was fun. I played PR from .8 to .87, and it was a blast. For a game that cost me nothing, it gave me a year of entertainment. So before I begin my rant, I want to thank the PR devs for all the hours of fun I had. Thanks for making PR. I want to point out that my opinions are MY OPINIONS. They are not right or wrong. PR is a very successful mod, and most people agree the mod is on its right path.

/rant start
It wasn't until .87 that I got bored. I don't know what happen, maybe I just got tired of the game. But I just got bored. Walking around, and building felt like chores, and the game wasn't very fun for me. Most servers I joined had average game with shitty teamwork, and coordination, and players bickering about everything. It simply is tiring to look at the chat and see people fighting about heuys, even when the admins are on. PR was a game designed not just for inner squad teamwork, but for squads working together with a CO for a common goal. I just didn't feel like that was happening ingame. The more I played the more frustrated I became, walking up to a flag and getting blown away, dying in helos, armor not giving a shit about anyone. So I quit the game. I came back in .9 but it got worse for me, I will explain later.

At the risk of starting the biggest flame war in the history of man, I will tell you the truth....
I started to play FH2 *gasp*

FH2 just felt more rewarding to me. No longer was I at the mercy of my own team, and team play was optional, but still there and necessary. I also felt that the game was more rewarding, I didn't spend 5 years walking some ware only to get blown away by armor. The rounds were shorter, so I didn't have to spend 3 hours at my computer to get enjoyment. I'm not saying FH2 is better, it just appeals to me more. I also have a WW2 bias

When PR .9 came around I got very excited again, all the new stuff looked amazing! However things got worse for me. The rounds now are a lot longer. I'm going into college and I simply don't have 3 hours to sit at my computer. TBH Some of these maps are so long, that my ass starts to hurt, and my fingers start to cramp. I'm sorry but your maps cause me physical pain It was like living the nightmare of fouls road in every map. God help you if you have a shitty round, because your 2 hours of precious free time are in the toilet. Its not like in other games where a round ends in 30 min, no the pain is stretched on

Another problem for me was the removal of rally points. I know this has been discussed to death, so I will keep it short. Now I have to walk centuries to get any ware. Its painfully boring for me. Even if your leading a squad, its a lot harder to keep everyone together. If you get blown away by a random apc from 999999999999999 meters away, you gotta walk all the way back. If you put FBs to close to the front they will get raped, and your helo can get shot down, so you end up walking. You can understand my frustration....

Tbh there are a lot of factors in PR that turn me off. The fact that a 4 man helo squad can make a US team lose, pisses me off. In real life the loss of a transport helo is terrible, and the loss of its crew are a tragedy. But it isn't fair how those 4 people can ruin a round. Even if you have good admins, they can't kick a guy for being legit shot down. Yesterday our team was US on Muttarh (fuck I can't spell) and our helos kept landing at the warehouse only to get blown away by the tows hiding in the mountains. In 10 min we lost 40 tickets... I know people want to have fun with the assets, but I feel its overly important in PR. Ya sure bad bad games are harder to find. But its tiring to have mediocre meh games

I also want to talk about the community. In any game the community is key, they will determine how the game plays out. I feel that many in PR community are rude, and overly serious. I have been cursed out because I have flipped a humvee on accident, or lost the HAT. People treat you like shit if you loose an asset. I just don't feel like people are friendly, and most don't realize its just a game. Please guys calm down, no need to be dicks :/

So being bored out of my mind most of the time, I have decide that my role is PR is a peacekeeper. You heard me right, I'm dropping my weapons, and taking up politics in PR. You will see me running around, motivating the troops with salutes, and negotiating politics with the enemy for 1 second before getting shot. The really sad thing is that the most fun I have had with PR, is playing it the way its NOT meant to be played.

There is a lot more I want to talk about, nurf-ind of IEDs, performance issues, etc but its 3 AM :/ I'm kinda disappointed that my limited writing skills didn't push my points well enough, sorry about that.

As always thanks for taking time to read and listen.
Last edited by amazing_retard; 03-02-2010 at 04:37 AM..
Old 03-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
Smegburt_funkledink

Default Re: A second opinion on PR

The majority of everything you've pointed out here that you dislike (apart from the very last part) are all down to the server you play on and the people you meet in game.

Try a different server, there are tardy ones and team-orientated ones. But then, I'm sure you already know this...

If all the servers were as bad as you make out, i'd never play.

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
AgentMongoose

Smegs Words are true
AgentMongoose is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
amazing_retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Smeg View Post
The majority of everything you've pointed out here that you dislike (apart from the very last part) are all down to the server you play on and the people you meet in game.

Try a different server, there are tardy ones and team-orientated ones. But then, I'm sure you already know this...

If all the servers were as bad as you make out, i'd never play.
I have tried a wide verity of servers mate, sadly similar experiences.
amazing_retard is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #5
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

i have to agree with smeg on that, although i do understand where you are coming from it has not hit me yet. it has hit some people before and it is just the natural progression of people. some people get tired of PR and go play FH2 (which is a great mod, but is a different game) or even (god forbid) play COD:modern warfare.

some people come back after they have taken a break from PR some don't, nobody is angry that you got this opinion because it is just how YOU feel about the game) you might even come back looking for the same gameplay again later on. who knows, PR is always evolving and players come and go, but one thing is sure, we will live on

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto: "Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac"
[R-CON]Pantera : "maybe you might learn that we are not super intelligent beings chained in UKF's basement being forced to work on this".
motherdear is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
AgentMongoose

Well I think
all pr players don't only play pr. I for one play quite a few games from tf2 to company of Mp44s. Uhh I mean company of heroes.

You don't only have to play the one game.
AgentMongoose is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:19 AM   #7
Smegburt_funkledink

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing_retard View Post
I have tried a wide verity of servers mate, sadly similar experiences.
Ok, well without turning this into a Server vs Server thread, all else I can advise is trying to play at a different time of day. When all the kiddies are in bed or at school, you may find the quality of gaming is slightly better.

Are there particular players you venture into PR with? Is there a certain group of friends that you often meet in any of the servers you play on? Playing with people you're more familiar with builds up the gaming experience over time. Sure, we all have decent games with random public players but getting to know your squad and it's abilities can be kinda limited if you've only known them for 1 game.

Plus, we all get bored from time to time. Give it a rest for a while and continue with FH2 or any other game for a while. Then after a bit, you'll realise why you like PR so much in the first place.

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I would agree that rounds are too long, after an hour I get bored unless there is alot of flag movement.

We all have limited time, and my reward in this game is to see that my team wins, I don't like having to leave before that happens.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #9
maarit
Supporting Member

because im pointjunky and rankwh*** i have tryed to explain some things/problems what are in pr but those are difficult to see.

there are some servers where are the hc players but then there are many servers what players are not hc.
hardcore players play the game automaticly how it meant to be played.
but less hc players make goofy things and it breaks the feeling and everything falls apart.
on your text,there were some thing what i regognice.
deploying outpost too close at enemylines...this is just cos players want action.they are careless,cos there is nothing what you may lose if your outpost gets raped,exept tickets,but those are just tickets.
and walking on flag and getting blown away.
its happening alot ingame and again,theres nothing you may lose,but tickets.
and helos landing in warehouse and getting again and again blown up by AA etc
players dont care if they are wasting their assets cos their loss is only in tickets.
they act carelessy.
now there is punishment added if you waste assets,die...etc...
and its walking but its not working properly.
people just get annoyed to this and may leave the game.
im not sure even my own thoughts but i would like to see what happens if game reward players when they make good decicions and play the game how it meant to be played.(something else that usmc has win the round)

"People treat you like shit if you loose an asset",yeah that is stupid if you accidentally lose something.
the game should give you punishment,and right now it gives,but its just walking and like i said,its not working properly.
but otherhand,players should never loose assets accidently.but this happens cos again players act carelessly.
game does not have reward what you may lose if you are goofying,tickets dont matter.
everybody says that if there is some reward,then the game turns to like theres little rambos who are just hunting they rewards.
maybe,but now there are goofys who dont care.
rambos vs goofys
but reward should be only achievable when you make teamwork,you care.

hehe,i know some people in real-life who like their jobs pretty much.
but they have different interest why they are in their jobs.
money.
dont flame me cos im pointjunky/rankmaster

and like others have proposed,go to the another server and seek the better gaming experience.
or do like im gonna do...invite some of your friends to play with you...
if they dont obey what you order them to do,you can kick they in a butts in real-life.

sometimes rounds are too long.
i think that you should lose more tickets when you die and that is cos in pr,players die too much.
Last edited by maarit; 03-03-2010 at 05:37 PM..
Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #10
CallousDisregard
Banned

Do you use Mumble ?
Try a server that has a large Mumble population and you will have a totally different experience in gameplay.

I have to agree on one point.
People are rude.
I am not talking about the children either.

Amazing R didn't list the circumstance but I have seen more than a few of the "leet" players be extremely rude for simple mistakes or even just bad luck.
I can only speak for myself but I play video games for fun and having some clan member berate me for not playing exactly the way he feels is proper isn't any fun.
Human nature I guess, but it would be nice if some of the "pros", which I thought was short for professional, would act like it.
There was a thread on Tactical Gamer, DO ASk-don't Tell, the crux of which was that if you want teamwork, try asking another member or squad to work with you.

TG DADT policy or 'Do ask, don't tell' [unofficial]

Walking and getting killed by unseen enemies is simply part of the REALITY of Project Reality.
CallousDisregard is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
opinion