project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
25 Jun 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

Old 02-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
o0RedBullet0o
Question XP or Windows 7?

Getting a new pc soon, and while i was already leaning towards Windows 7, after seeing the number of problems associated with itself and PR, im starting to get cold feet. Vista doesnt appear to be an option due to the many bad opinions associated with it, so really its between my current XP or Windows 7.

Probable system specs:

Intel i5 750 or AMD Phenom II X4 955
ATI Radeon 5750
4096mb memory
250gb Hard drive

So, any ideas?

Thanks,
o0RedBullet0o is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
KeksTerror

Default Re: XP or Windows 7?

I would suggest you to take a 64-Bit version (because of your RAM). If you choose Windows 7, you will have less problems with probably driver errors ect. - it is quite easier to handle (for noobs ) than Windows XP.

KeksTerror is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
SnipingCoward

you might have problems finding drivers for the XP (esp. 64bit) - manufacturers of new devices focus on current OS (Win7) when creating drivers - its questionable IF there is a driver AND even if so its likely not as advanced due to older libraries in XP etc. (just guessing there)

I got XP64 and i remember it was hard to find drivers for my system and it took a good year untill nvidia had a XP64 driver version that worked decently

Right now I am using Win7 64 on my Laptop and am actually very happy with it - alot better than the shipped vista 32 (perfomance, resource usage, stablilty, usabilty) - so your right to exclude Vista

as for PR problems related to Win7 - I do not recall a single error thats entirely limited to Win7 (and i read a lot of posts in the support section)
only thing that happens really alot is ppl not running PR as admin (which you don't need to on XP afaik) - but thats more or less user error
also for future use, since XP does not support DirectX10, which newer games WILL be using Win7 is needed
to use all the ram you got you need a 64 bit system - 32bit Windows' will limit to 3.25 GB the rest is simply not used

-> I recommend Win7 64 bit

note: if you insist on XP you should check if there are decent drivers available for your chipsets and devices

Got a PROBLEM? Check this: PR:BF2 Installation Guide

Got a common QUESTION? check here first: PR:BF2 FAQ, MUMBLE FAQ

"Hello, IT! ... Yes, have you tried turning it on and off again?"
SnipingCoward is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Solid Knight

I'd go with Windows 7.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Deadfast
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to Deadfast Send a message via Skype™ to Deadfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipingCoward View Post
you might have problems finding drivers for the XP (esp. 64bit) - manufacturers of new devices focus on current OS (Win7) when creating drivers - its questionable IF there is a driver AND even if so its likely not as advanced due to older libraries in XP etc. (just guessing there)
I don't have any driver issues with my XP64.

My Windows 7 64, however, has crapped itself after 3 months (it's slow as a snail).
Deadfast is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
Robbi
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Robbi Send a message via Skype™ to Robbi

Simply saying its crapped itself with no explanation of problem or probable source its not really a helful post tbh :/

Win 7 x64 is the only choice now really as XP64 will not be supported by any major new game in the next few years.

Robbi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 AM   #7
ConscriptVirus

another vote for windows 7. beeen using win 7 enterprise x64 for a few months and no problems with PR so far thats exclusively from windows 7. also for general usage, i kinda like windows 7 over XP. it feels smoother (superfetch is nice) and like everyone else says, its better support by microsoft updates and drivers are alot easier to find for win 7. also..its prettyyyyyy. ur comptuer will handle aero fine and it doesnt really affect gaming since windows turns off aero automatically when ur gaming.

"These things we do that others may live"
ConscriptVirus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
Orford

I installed win 7 64bit today. Its alot smoother than XP and way way better than in looks and features than VISTA. It installed in 30 mins from a clean HDD. I had already downloaded all the drivers I needed for my MOBO and put them on disk also grafix drivers. After the install of drivers (win7 worked ok before) I installed BF2-Patched-PR and played a game no issues. Just remember before running any .exe to right click it and run the setup.exe as admin. Once you loaded the game and still want to use user account control right click any new run.exe icons for games etc click compatability and check the box for run as admin thats where most issues come from not running as admin.
Orford is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
KeksTerror

I'm fed up with Windows 7 (32-Bit). I removed it on Saturday and reinstalled Windows XP. <3

KeksTerror is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:39 AM   #10
UberWazuSoldier

I'm going to be devil's advocate and say "why not Vista?"

If you can bear to wait a few more seconds on startup, you'll get pretty much everything from Win7, but without that Mac-inspired monster of a task-bar. For multiple windows of the same program, Windows 7 definitely becomes harder to use because it stacks them automatically.

UberWazuSoldier is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
operating system, windows, windows 7, windows xp