project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Celestial1
Default Calling in Area Attack (Mortars/Arty) using the Marker system?

Currently, you have to call in all area attacks using the Radio's T menu, requiring you to aim directly at the target and call in the request until you get a proper marker.

It would be more convenient if there was a way to mark targets for mortar/artillery using the marker system (Mark target, aim towards target, set range and request attack).

There could perhaps still be a way to do it directly, but having this alternative would allow you to be more flexible from where you are calling the strike in (say, 1000m out, where you have a helicopter ready to insert you directly after the strike ends, or whatever the case may be).
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Artnez
Supporting Member

Default Re: Calling in Area Attack (Mortars/Arty) using the Marker system?

I agree.

Actually I have a very hard time with placing area attacks. It takes a lot of tries to get the attack request directly on the attack marker I place. There have been multiple instances of the commander accidentally allowing an area attack when I placed it in the wrong location.

I would prefer placing the area attack using the map by right click on the location I want and selecting area attack. Either way the area attack is going to get placed, why make it so painful to do so?

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Artnez is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Portable.Cougar

damn

I agree with celest

i like having a set distance from target like the present spotting system. As calling in a jdam on the other teams main from yours would break the fun / challange factor of calling in area attack.

Portable.Cougar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
00SoldierofFortune00

Just change it back to the old system IMO or a hybrid, but make the final call via binocs so you have accurate spotting without the exploits that would happen with a mini-map marker system.

"Push the Envelope, Watch It Bend"

Tool ~ Lateralus
00SoldierofFortune00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Conman51

agreed, some times you have to get really close to the target too before you can see it and get a accurate marker, i would rather call in a striker on its general location without needing to see it

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain

Conman51 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
XxxGrANdmA

I haven't personlly tried the new way of calling in area attacks myself but I've seen them go off from where they were supposed to go and also i remeber someone posting a screen of an area attack that went into the water instead of the enemy base.
XxxGrANdmA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

I've had no trouble with calling the area attacks using the radio. You can even call them outside visual range, as long as you have a straight open line between you and the target.

It's quite simple, just put a marker where you want to call the arty, look at the arty, use radio to call it in. If you really need precision use your GLTD to put the HUD marker down, then take out the radio and call the arty without moving your mouse.

Now, commanders should of course check where arty is going down, but it's not a complicated system we're talking about.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:07 AM   #8
Pariel

I'm with Blood on this one.

After a quick explanation from my squad mates, I did it correctly the first time, and I haven't had trouble since.

I like this method a lot better -- it's not quite as simple as the old method, but it at least seems more realistic, and the pinpoint accuracy of the old system was definitely aggravating at times. Although, frankly, you can be just as accurate with this system and a teensy weensy bit of practice.
Pariel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #9
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]BloodBane611 View Post
It's quite simple, just put a marker where you want to call the arty, look at the arty, use radio to call it in. If you really need precision use your GLTD to put the HUD marker down, then take out the radio and call the arty without moving your mouse.

Now, commanders should of course check where arty is going down, but it's not a complicated system we're talking about.
The problem is that the mouse can differentiate easily, which can throw the thing off by 100m or so. Plus commanders have, multiple times, accepted mine when I do it accidentally, before I get the chance to tell him not to.

I agree with Celestials idea of the marker as it would be quicker, easier and more realistic to provide a map location of where you are asking for fire support.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:06 AM   #10
Sniperdog
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Couldn't this be easily abused?

Sniperdog is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
area, attack, calling, marker, mortars or arty, system