project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Aug 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
Meza82

Default 1 or 2 team Mumble channels

I recently started using Mumble and it makes PR even more awesome! But I recently found out that there are 2 ways to use it:

1) There is one team channel that every player on the server joins. This means that you can hear enemies talking when in range, and that they can hear you.

and,

2) There are two teams channels and you only join your team’s channel. This means that you can’t hear enemies talking when in range, and that they can’t hear you.

I was wondering what the PR players who use Mumble, or those who would use it, prefer: everyone hears everyone in range? Or team specific hearability?

Imo, its more realistic if everyone hears everyone in range, including enemy players.

Violence is power
In .308 we trust
Last edited by Meza82; 02-10-2010 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
Tartantyco

Default Re: 1 or 2 team Mumble channels

It's not more realistic to hear your enemy because mumble does not broadcast sound realistically. Neither way is more realistic, but the double channels make mumble more useful as you can use it at any time as opposed to when you're not within 70m of the enemy, which is stupid. 1 channel is just wasting mumble's potential.

Make Norway OPFOR! NAO!

It's your hamster Richard. It's your hamster in the box and it's not breathing.
Tartantyco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
OldGoat5
Supporting Member

I prefer the one channel servers, since it's more realistic...not in the way of being able to understand the enemy..but more of being able to hear the enemy if he is careless...like if you sneak up on an enemy base and they are talking and messing around. its more realistic that way...i feel i guess restricted by not being able to hear the enemy. and if you want to whisper so much, whisper very lightly...the background noise should cover it....and if there isnt any...then use voip.....

just what i think though....
OldGoat5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

I like the ability to hear my enemies, spy. Tell them to surrender etc.

But, also. I like not having them hearing me and telling me to surrender.

So, i think i would enjoy more the two team two channel standard.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Ghost1800

It doesn't work well with one channel. Everybody just uses voip for regular comms and mumble is hardly used aside from squad leader channels (which are setup similarly regardless of the regular channel) and communication in the main base. It can lead to some interesting and hilarious circumstances with one channel, but until there is a system to control how far your voice carries based on how you say it (as well as adjusting to your situation and setting) I think it's just better to have 2 separate channels to encourage team cohesiveness as it's hard enough to achieve that as it is.
Ghost1800 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I prefer 2 channels.

Generally I've found that players lack the maturity level so once enemies come around all tactics/realism is dropped and running around with immature insults pointless bickering and gloating takes over the server..
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
Sniperdog
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I would agree to one channel if voice distortion were possible so that you could hear the other team but not understand them (allowing you to detect the enemy but not be an asshat); but otherwise I would say two channels for now.

Sniperdog is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:00 AM   #8
Farks

Two channels, makes Mumble more useful in combat and less confusing, and more serious like mentioned above. I'm pretty sure real soldiers wouldn't talk so loud that the enemy could hear them, or they would at least use other types of communicating.
Farks is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
BabylonCome
Supporting Member

Mines obviously not set up correctly as no matter what channel I am in (open or squad) I can hear everybody talking on the server at the same volume no matter what side they are on.... and that is annoying hearing 64 voices at the same time.....

CO - Rusty In Places - www.rustyinplaces.org
BabylonCome is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Oskar
Send a message via MSN to Oskar

I prefer 2 channels over one. There is a lot less immature behavior, less taunting and it's A LOT more useful tactically, since you can for example coordinate attacks with one fireteam (in a squad) without having to bother the other one.
As it is, I find myself only using Mumble when talking to blue guys or SL's. And that shouldn't be and isn't the only good application of it. I like to use Mumble like soldiers use hand signals, and there is no other way to do this with todays technology.

The only downside to this system is that players are confused which team they are in. But I'd rather have this than not being able to use the program to its full capacity.
I wish Reality Teamwork would incorporate the same system as for example TG.
Oskar is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
channels, mumble, team