project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
27 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
USMC_Cook

Default Optimize, but don't nerf the graphics for ancient comps

NOTE: The title may be confusing, but I meant to say "...don't nerf the graphics for the sake of ancient comps"

I know that a lot of people have seen performance drops with the recent release, and I know that the devs are working to make the game as playable as possible, but I hope they DON'T actually reduce view distances, reduce draw distances on grass and foliage, and just crank down the graphics in general.

I love the more detailed maps, longer draw distances, more statics, etc. I hope that the level of detail and view/draw distances continue to increase in the future. However, I know that this has come at a steep price for some. But I've got a three year old computer with a recently purchased 5870 and I play the game maxed out at 1680 x 1050, and it is always perfectly smooth. I don't expect everyone to go buy a 5870, but I want the option to see PR in all its glory for those who do.

The fact is, I want the team to push the envelope of the engine, and this will require a decent computer to play. Those with older comps should be able to crank down the graphics and still play, but there is a difference between older and ancient. If you spent $500 on a comp five years ago and want the game cranked down enough that you can still play, you might be asking too much. The game is technically free, so you can think of an upgrade as the price to play. I know I sound like an A'hole, but come on! I didn't spend $400 on a video card to run vanilla BF2!

As I said, I'm all for optimizing the game as much as possible, and I understand that many have taken a huge performance drop, but I really don't want to see the devs tone it down on continuing to push the envelope of what this engine can do.

What do you think?
Last edited by USMC_Cook; 02-07-2010 at 03:47 AM..
Old 02-07-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
boilerrat

Default Re: Optimize, but don't nerf the graphics for ancient comps

Not everyone has extra money to upgrade a computer.
Its like having a lambo and saying that everyone should upgrade to one or they can't drive.
boilerrat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:59 AM   #3
Brummy

Send a message via MSN to Brummy

^ with the majority having lambos..

Brummy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
Truism

It's not like the majority having lambos, it's like the majority have middle of the range cars, racing on a track that even middle range cars get great times on. The problem is that we're holding them back in absolute bombs of cars, and so high range cars have to race on a track that they can only do as fast as middle of the range cars.
Truism is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:06 AM   #5
FuzzySquirrel

Send a message via Skype™ to FuzzySquirrel

I don't mind it all pretty like it is, but if people with i7's and SLi 295's are lagging something needs to be fixed

FuzzySquirrel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
victor_phx

I don't get it. I sure don't have a 'lambo', but I'm running it just fine here... >60 fps and all. Maybe it's more like a matter of getting the settings right? That and, of course, at least some optmization, since everyone's having that amount of trouble.
victor_phx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:11 AM   #7
maarit
Supporting Member

for me its gameplay,feeling,teamwork.
i really dont care graphigs,just a little.
i will upgrade my comp when pr2 is coming.
maarit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:13 AM   #8
Cpl.Pocket

At least release updated minimum system requirements.

This will allow people to know for sure that lag problems is there set up and not the game/punkbuster.

I've been using an older computer since my main one crapped out. It is specs are slightly greater than BF2's minimum requirements, however it will not comfortably play PR .9 on lowest settings.
Cpl.Pocket is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
Kapt. Kroon

I tested PR on my bro's PC he has a 5870 and a i7 920 but he's lagging too, mostly on the new maps.
Kapt. Kroon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
Zimmer
Supporting Member

IT all comes down to some textures that has gone wrong such as korengal when there was a badly placed texture.

People don't realize that autism doesn't mean they're "stupid". Just socially inept. Like rhino... > > or in a worst case scenario... Wicca. =)- Lithium fox
I found this sentence quite funny and since this is a war game forum I will put it here. No offense to the french just a good laugh.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you do is leave behind a lot of noisy baggage."
Zimmer is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
ancient, comps, graphics, nerf, optimize