project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
27 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
[T]waylay00

Send a message via AIM to [T]waylay00
Default Widescreen in v0.9?

Up until .9, I had been using the "Widescreen Fixer" utility with BF2 1.5 and PR .87 just fine. Some of you may ask, "why use this when you can adjust it in the settings?" Well, the settings "widescreen" resolution options don't really enable a true widescreen FOV (they merely stretch the screen). The only way to get this true FOV is through the Widescreen Fixer. Anyways, the Widescreen Fixer still works fine with BF2 1.5 vanilla, but it won't work with PR .9 anymore.

How are you guys handling widescreen in .9?
[T]waylay00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:59 AM   #2
Fuhrious
Default Re: Widescreen in .9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [T]waylay00 View Post
Up until .9, I had been using the "Widescreen Fixer" utility with BF2 1.5 and PR .87 just fine. Some of you may ask, "why use this when you can adjust it in the settings?" Well, the settings "widescreen" resolution options don't really enable a true widescreen FOV (they merely stretch the screen). The only way to get this true FOV is through the Widescreen Fixer. Anyways, the Widescreen Fixer still works fine with BF2 1.5 vanilla, but it won't work with PR .9 anymore.

How are you guys handling widescreen in .9?
I used to put the widescreen resolution on the command line arguments of the shortcut to the game, but noticed in 0.9 that I can select this resolution in the video game settings (1680*1050 - not sure if this is new to 0.9 but it's the first time I noticed it).

This does, and always has, worked correctly in terms of the in game FOV. There is no stretching. The only graphical artifact from using the widescreen resolution I have noticed is that some of the in-game HUD elements do not recognise the extra screen width (things like squad member name tags, squad leader objective markers etc - if they go into the "extra screen width" section of the display then they are rendered against the edge of screen as if they are out of your FOV). Perhaps your "widescreen fixer" handles this correctly?
Fuhrious is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:13 AM   #3
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

I'm pretty damn sure if you select a widescreen rez on the ingame video settings it dose increase your FOV.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
Serbiak

I agree with [T]waylay00 there. I played with the widescreen ingame setting since the BF2 1.5 patch and it never worked properly it has been streching the screen from the beginning.

I just got used to it and played with a little streched screen but I did not see a change on the FOV.

"Remember, your penis size is proportional to your post count...or was it inversely proportional...I can't remember"
- [R-CON]Rudd -
Serbiak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Fuhrious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbiak View Post
I agree with [T]waylay00 there. I played with the widescreen ingame setting since the BF2 1.5 patch and it never worked properly it has been streching the screen from the beginning.
What resolution are you selecting?
Fuhrious is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Snazz
Supporting Member

I'm also having issues with Widescreen Fixer on 0.9.
Last edited by Snazz; 02-09-2010 at 11:08 PM..
Old 02-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Froztbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazz View Post
Widescreen fixer is crashing PR 0.9 for me as well, used it all the time on 0.87.

It makes a huge difference in the FOV.
yeah, i 2nd that.
I used the widescreen fixer but it doesnt seem to be working in 0.9 for me
helped out alot with the FOV etc

In-Game Name: Froztbyte_UK

Enlisted during Mini-Mod v0.25
Froztbyte is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Default Re: Widescreen in v0.9?

perhaps the devs might work on getting us 16:9 resolution settings in the future? LOL jk i'm satisfied using my old mon, but if you have the time i would love to see all the new shiny features on my good monitor and bask it its glory

Information in the hands of a critical thinker is invaluable, information alone is simply dangerous.
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
[T]waylay00

Send a message via AIM to [T]waylay00
Default Re: Widescreen in v0.9?

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. It's OK playing without the Fixer, I guess, but once you enjoy true widescreen, it's hard to go back!
[T]waylay00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhrious View Post
This does, and always has, worked correctly in terms of the in game FOV. There is no stretching.
The way BF2 supports wide-screen resolutions is to simply chop off the top and bottom of the screen. The horizontal field of view is the same but the vertical view is lessened. In effect wide-screen resolution users see less.

Compare the following two screen-shots to see the difference.
Image:Battlefield2-1024.jpg - Widescreen Gaming Wiki
Image:Battlefield2-1440.jpg - Widescreen Gaming Wiki

This is the reason an FOV fixer is used.
stiff is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
v09, widescreen