project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
22 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Pedz
Supporting Member

Default Gran Turismo 5 (Console Game)

This game is a racing simulator and was one of the originals of its kind (came out on the PS1 at launch). Now the 5th iteration is out for the PS3 exclusively.

Some of the features the game will include are:
  • Weather changing conditions
  • Night Racing
  • 3D vision (permitted you have a 3D television of course)
  • 1080p graphics which are probably the best of any racing game
  • over 1000 cars
  • Over 20 different tracks with up to 80 variations(some are just reverse..)
  • Realistic driving physics
  • Realistic damage modelling (first time in Gran Turismo Series)
  • Very good online support(not sure what it is, but he's saying its going to be huge)
  • Online league tables, tournaments, championships.
  • 500,000 polygons per car
  • Uses 80% of the PS3's processing power

So yeah, it has recently been delayed by Sony, and will probably be released around start of summer, there is already GT5P(Gran Turismo 5 Prolouge) out and on sale for around £20 and there is a new Time Trial Demo which is for a competition for Europeans and Japanese(I think).

I know that many of you will not enjoy racing games as much as I do and this game does come with a few faults (may not be faults in the full release but are in GT5P). But as it a realism game I thought I may enlighten you all to this lovely game.

I will try to update this with more news as it comes in.

If you want to try the game without even buying the proglouge, the time trial demo is availiable until 24th January (where it is no longer downloadable, but still playable afterwards). The demo has advanced physics over the prolouge, but the graphics are worse than prologue/ the full game.

Below you can watch a nice trailer(sorry for the BT ad before it starts, wasnt uploaded by me :S)

So yeah post your views on it and whether its a must buy for you ^^ and ask any questions you want.

The estimated release date is around the start of summer (The PS3 price cut is coming around then as well, so it will probably be in that bundle).

Last Edited:17th Jan 13:00GMT

Last edited by Pedz; 01-17-2010 at 07:59 AM..
Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
hiberNative

Default Re: Gran Turismo 5

checked the gameplay. nothing gameplay wise warrant the game to have had such a long development phase.

maybe it's the 1080p graphics that took time mastering and optimizing.

-
hiberNative is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Gran Turismo needs to come to PC. I'm a PC kind of guy, not going to buy a console, but I do love the GT series, it's really awesome.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Robbi
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Robbi Send a message via Skype™ to Robbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiberNative View Post
checked the gameplay. nothing gameplay wise warrant the game to have had such a long development phase
Damage system too don't forget.

Robbi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Pedz
Supporting Member

Quote:
maybe it's the 1080p graphics that took time mastering and optimizing.

It is that at the physics ^^. it takes around 3-6months to do each car (one person on it). So each car is perfected before coded.

But the game is generally just a racing game, and is more for the fun of racing than shooting people with guns as you race (although that would be an epic game...)

Pedz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
hiberNative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Damage system too don't forget.
so the finally got a license to destroy the cars in the game, or is the damage just control wise with small alterations like an open door? do fronts actually get crushed, altering the car body now?

the only other gt i've played is gt1 on ps1. it was pretty stupid.

-
hiberNative is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
ma21212
Supporting Member

Quote:
so the finally got a license to destroy the cars in the game, or is the damage just control wise with small alterations like an open door? do fronts actually get crushed, altering the car body now?

the only other gt i've played is gt1 on ps1. it was pretty stupid.
it was one of the frist games that protrayed racing dynamics correctly.... not really "stupid". i mean if you play it today yea but back when it came out it was revolutionary

ma21212 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
hiberNative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma21212 View Post
it was one of the frist "sim" car games.... not really "stupid" i mean if you play it today yea but back when it came out it was revelutionary
i dunno, man. colin mcrae 1 was to me a lot more realistic feeling.

gt1 had this weird tire screeching as soon as you turned a little and the vehicles understeered to the extreme. it was really extreme and you had to adjust quite a bit to its "reality".
but i maxed that game out. remember the subaru impreza being one of the easiest, high end cars to control.

-
Last edited by hiberNative; 01-15-2010 at 07:48 PM..
Old 01-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
Pedz
Supporting Member

Quote:

All of the stuff you mentioned happens, but only on racing cars as most of the other car manufacturers didn't want their cars smashed up. But for those cars you can still scratch and dent the cars, just they wont have doors, bumpers, and all the rest of it falling off.

As in one of the damage game play videos, the whole door can come off, and the bonnet can fling open (and eventually come off, to show the lovely modelling of the engine ^^). I'm not sure on the crumpling but there is definitely performance damage (even for the non racing cars).

But unlike most other racing games, the damage is physics based, meaning there is no set specification of what falls off and how much etc.

And to your most recent post, that was GT1, their physics engine has improved vastly since then :P, its been a good 13 years since that was released... Also GT5 has been in creation for 5 years+ and the creator of the game is said to be a perfectionist :P.

Pedz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

I have one of the GT(2 or 3) games for PS2. Easily one of the most boring racing games I have ever played.

Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
console, game, gran, gt5, turismo