project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
Zpoilt
Default Secret tank ammo?

Hi, Im Edvin Lindahl, from Sweden.

I was playing PR the other night with my mate. We decided to try the tank and dominate our enemies at Kashan Desert. He took the wheel and I was in the turret, maneuvering the gun.

After cruising around a little, we recieved intelligence reports about an enemy tank standing static, approximately 2 km from our current position defending South Village. We responded and set course for South Village.

We found the tank. He did not see us. I aimed the massive gun of the Abrams tank and fired an APFSDS round at him from ~500m. Due to the long distance I could not confirm weather he had taken damage or not, but I hit him, that's for sure. We backed up and approached him from another direction. Unfortunately, he spotted us this time. I fired another round that hit the side of his turret, but the only thing we did was scratching the paint-job. His gun turned towards me and I told my driver; "Well since he could take two shots head on we should be able to do the same, right?" So instead of backing up, we just stood there, waiting for the little british midget inside the tank to yell "BOPP" and for the gun to be loaded (If you listen for it, you can hear him too!) so we could fire a third round at our target.

He turned his gun at us. He fired, once. And that was the end of our little armoured journey. We died, instantly. The tank was at full health when we engaged the other tank. Still we just died, like that. boom.

I was furious! We hit him! Twice! Why didn't he die? I googled the ammunition. I thought maybe we should have used HEAT instead. APFSDS, Armoured Piercing Fin-Stabilised Discarding Sabot. It pierces armor, relies on high velocity and penetration capabilites and looks like a big needle. It pierces armor, okay. If I fired one of these into my SAAB, it would definitely pierce it (and we all know SAAB are the best cars) so it should work against a T-72, right?

HEAT, High explosive anti-tank. Hmm, anti-tank. Maybe we should have used this one?

So I decided to look in my field manual to get some advice, and allow me to quote:

Tanks and IFVs usually have up to 3 types of ammunition:
○ Armor-piercing (standard): For attacking enemy armored vehicles
○ Explosive (loaded by pressing 2): Effective against soft targets (jeeps,
houses, helicopters, covered infantry, …)
Anti-tank missiles (loaded by pressing 3): Used against heavy armor

What!? There is a third choice? I didn't know that.

Now it was all clear. I used the wrong ammunition, duh! I should have used the Anti-tank missile, because they are ment to be used against heavy armor.

With this in mind, I started PR again. I was gonna get my revenge, after reading the manual! But when I sat in the turret once again, I still could not choose the Anti-tank missile (and of course the very lethal smoke shells) So my question is:

How do I tell the little british midget to load the devastating Anti-tank missiles into the gun?
Zpoilt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
EmBra

Default Re: Secret tank ammo?

The Abram have no anti tank missile.

IFVs like the bradley and bmp3 have them, but not MBTs.

And I have experienced the same thing as you, been on both sides of it. All I can say is that BF2s engine and hit-registration isn't the best out there. Usually it takes 2-3 shots for a MBT to blow up another MBT though, as Im sure it is designed to do depending on where you shoot it. A hit in the back or the side can be devastating but you should normally be able to survive 2 hits in the front (In PR).

And AP is the correct ammunition to use against all types of vehicles in PR. The HEAT ammunition sometimes fail to do any damage against moving jeeps, helicopters etc even though you hit it spot on. Again, BF2s hit registration suck.

Choppah - A PR attack helicopter fragmovie
EmBra is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
rampo

Send a message via MSN to rampo

It depends alot where you hit the target, was it on the front where the armor is the thickest or the sides? Also at those ranges i guess hit recognition can be a bitch

rampo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
McCree

Send a message via MSN to McCree Send a message via Skype™ to McCree

Theres also possibility that the enemy tank was just ridiculously lucky and was able to shoot your tank between the turret and the hull causing the projectile actually to "bounce" between them. This kills instantly and is known to happen. Also shooting the tank to its belly will destroy them with one shot.
McCree is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
strima
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

There are weak points in the BF2 engine, as pointed out one hit on the turret ring will destroy in one hit, normally best point of aim is just above the drivers sight.

strima is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
2ClipsOneKill
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCree View Post
Theres also possibility that the enemy tank was just ridiculously lucky and was able to shoot your tank between the turret and the hull causing the projectile actually to "bounce" between them. This kills instantly and is known to happen. Also shooting the tank to its belly will destroy them with one shot.
I know that Forgotten Hope 2 have this for the tanks with that flaw...
You'd think it would be fixed for such a mothern tank. :S
btw
Is there any picture of damage zones for the PR tanks laying around somewhere?
2ClipsOneKill is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
dtacs
Supporting Member

My friend, you have been gimped by the battlefield 2 engine, join the club.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
Elektro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
My friend, you have been gimped by the battlefield 2 engine, join the club.
No the Abrahams can withstand 4 tank shells if you hit it straight on. Use "x" to zoom in with gun and aim for the tracks, or where ever you want.

Elektro is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
killonsight95
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektro View Post
No the Abrahams can withstand 4 tank shells if you hit it straight on. Use "x" to zoom in with gun and aim for the tracks, or where ever you want.
its a bug it only happens if your lucky, also
Quote:
I know that Forgotten Hope 2 have this for the tanks with that flaw...
You'd think it would be fixed for such a mothern tank. :S
btw
Is there any picture of damage zones for the PR tanks laying around somewhere?
its not the tank its the engine

killonsight95 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

I think hitting the glass on the top (commanders view point) will kill it in 1?

Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
ammo, hard, secret, tank, tanking