project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 01-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
theiceman

Thumbs down PR not playing like i want it to.

some of you may have seen my post asking questions about a new cpu. I just bought a dual core amd2 3.0 ghz cpu. I installed it, works fine. BUTT I was hoping that could play pr on high. It can for the most part, but on maps like muttrah n fallujah it laggs. I have upgradede my pc almost to the max:

4 gb ram
3.0 ghz cpu
geforce 9500 gt

I was wondering why i cannot play pr on high with no lagg??

p.s. i have vista 32 bit.

Through Superior Firepower
theiceman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Paladin Necroman
Thumbs up Re: PR not playing like i want it to.

I had kind of the same prob. I reduced some my video card software options and it runs fine. Though, when i play for like an hour and a half, it starts lagging. I think it's due to PR engine, or something, or even that the engine is kinda old for our pc's. I need help about that too.

Note: i play GTA IV on maximum settings and no lag at all.

Paladin Necroman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
theiceman

Default Re: PR not playing like i want it to.

yea, but it might be my internet...

Through Superior Firepower
theiceman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

See if it's lag or your connection.

Open your console (~ key, topleft of your keyboard) and type: renderer.drawFps 1
(then press "enter" ofc )

The fps should be displayed in the topleft corner of your screen. When you experience this lag, what's your fps? Anything lower than 30 will feel laggy.

[R-DEV]AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
Pill Monster
Banned

Hi,

Firstly you need a better gfx card - sorry but there is no way you will max out PR with a 9500GT.

The 9500GT is basically a revamped 8600GT. It only has 128 bit memory, and either 256 or 512mb of vram. 512mb is a minimum for PR, but what's really holding you back is the 128bit bus.

On top of that you're running Vista32 which is possibly the worst OS to be using for gaming. I suggest either XP32, Vista 64 or Windows 7 64...

Hope this helps..

Btw - What resolution are you using?
Last edited by Pill Monster; 01-07-2010 at 05:21 AM..
Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Th3Exiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Monster View Post
Hi,

Firstly you need a better gfx card - sorry but there is no way you will max out PR with a 9500GT.

The 9500GT is basically a revamped 8600GT. It only has 128 bit memory, and either 256 or 512mb of vram. 512mb is a minimum for PR, but what's really holding you back is the 128bit bus.

On top of that you're running Vista32 which is possibly the worst OS to be using for gaming. I suggest either XP32, Vista 64 or Windows 7 64...

Hope this helps..

Btw - What resolution are you using?
You can't possibly believe that...

IIRC the 9500 GT was released in 2008. Now when was battlefield 2 released again?
The statement about 512mb being the minimum for pr, I'm sure you are getting confused with system ram not dedicated graphic card ram. His graphics card is fine, so appears to be the rest of his system. The real question is, is it actually lag in the sense of latency between the computer and the server, packet loss or as he believed low frame rate. Based on the fact that it only occurs on certain intensive maps it is most likely low frame rate. For now do as AfterDune said and post up your framerate from the map you lag on, if possible, post the lowest number you see, the highest and a rough average. It is much too late here to post up a process to help. However, I'll ask you now, are you sure that the processor speed has adjusted properly? What is the value it tells you during the POST (power on self test: the little screen that displays info on startup).

Exiled.
Th3Exiled is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

There is no possible way 9500 GT will run GTA4 maxed out.

I have the same specs but s 280GT, and I can barely handle GTA4 running at about 20% max settings
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Th3Exiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]fuzzhead View Post
There is no possible way 9500 GT will run GTA4 maxed out.

I have the same specs but s 280GT, and I can barely handle GTA4 running at about 20% max settings
Lol fuzz... he never said he played GTA4 on a 9500 GT. The guy below him said he plays GTA4 on max settings (not specifying what graphics card he has) and has problems with PR.
Edit: Though just taking a look at the system requirements I'd say your processor is letting you down. Btw, you have a dual core AMD correct? He didn't say what family of processor his was.

Exiled.
Last edited by Th3Exiled; 01-07-2010 at 11:29 AM..
Old 01-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
Pill Monster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Exiled View Post
You can't possibly believe that...

IIRC the 9500 GT was released in 2008. Now when was battlefield 2 released again?
The statement about 512mb being the minimum for pr, I'm sure you are getting confused with system ram not dedicated graphic card ram. His graphics card is fine, so appears to be the rest of his system. The real question is, is it actually lag in the sense of latency between the computer and the server, packet loss or as he believed low frame rate. Based on the fact that it only occurs on certain intensive maps it is most likely low frame rate. For now do as AfterDune said and post up your framerate from the map you lag on, if possible, post the lowest number you see, the highest and a rough average. It is much too late here to post up a process to help. However, I'll ask you now, are you sure that the processor speed has adjusted properly? What is the value it tells you during the POST (power on self test: the little screen that displays info on startup).

Exiled.
No I'm not not confused about anything, you should know that..... do you not recognize my username?

And I'm not sure why you asked what family his CPU is from, when he said in his post that it's an AM2..

The date his GFX card was released has little to do with how it will run the game.
That's the same as saying a 2006 1.5L Suzuki Swift is faster than a 1990 5L V8 Commodore simply because it's newer. It doesn't work that way. It's all about the specs.

And you can't compare BF2 Vanilla with Project Reality. Yo may as well be comparing the original Doom with Crysis.

Ever wondered why PR looks a lot better than BF2 Vanilla? Ask the Devs, PR uses a lot more Vram because of the extra texture rendering involved.

Sure, his card will run it - but not at high specs, which is what he wants. and when I say high specs I'm talking all optimizations off in NCP, 16xAF and 8-16xAA @ high res..

Furthermore, a 32bit OS can access around 3.5GB of system ram, less system reserved memory (unless the memory hole is enabled in the bios). Vista32 uses close to a gig just by itself.

So now we're down to around 2GB of available memory of which PR will use 1.5- 2GB when maxed out.

That doesn't leave much left over does it... ..
Last edited by Pill Monster; 01-07-2010 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Clarification.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
crokojot

Monster saying truth.
crokojot is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
playing