project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives > Brazilian/FARC Forces
27 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Brazilian/FARC Forces Discussion pertaining to the PR Brazilian & FARC Forces faction

Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
FPaiva

Default [WIP] Static Objects

Models by Salmonella & TheWill (Away member)
Old 11-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
ledo1222

Default Re: [WIP] Static Objects

Salmonella & TheWill nice work i can see a sniper pinning down a sq from the Church tower.

-The Mods cant Silence me!
-Its all a Conspiracy all OF IT!
-Boys get the duck tape ready..... Umm.....

Been palying PR:ARMA2 since 0.1v beta
Old 12-03-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
[R-DEV]Glimmerman
PR:BF2 Dutch Forces Lead
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]Glimmerman Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]Glimmerman

Are you also making some cocaine lab statics?

Old 12-03-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
General_J0k3r
Send a message via ICQ to General_J0k3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Glimmerman View Post
Are you also making some cocaine lab statics?
lol. cocaine labs ftw
Old 12-03-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
[R-DEV]Glimmerman
PR:BF2 Dutch Forces Lead
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]Glimmerman Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]Glimmerman

Perhaps decorate the buildings with some commie propaganda posters of Ché, Manuel Marulanda, to give the impression the FARC was there.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:00 AM   #6
LeBubuSauvage

Very nice work, these look like some basic settlement near some gold mine in Amazonia =D
Old 12-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

cool nice work but ehhh, these statics look to be made in the wrong way...

Please read this tut on texture palettes, this is how all statics should be skinned: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189...-palettes.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]FPaiva View Post

ehhh, making buildings into jigsaw puzzels / kits like this is a REALLY BAD move. Trust me, I did it with the new Afghan Buildings and yes on the + side it dose allow the mapper to be much more creative with the statics he has to hand BUT, these take ages to lightmap even in 3DsMax. I could lightmap a really complicated building with a huge lightmap like the muttrah mosque in 1/10th of the time than it took to lightmap one building made out of all its kits bits, as well as lightmap seems can come up after they have been lightmapped between all the bits. Next is lots of bits not joined together well ingame, sometimes just the mappers fault but sometimes its due to if the building is rotated or something, the editor dosen't save the object's position to enough decimal places in order to be in the exact spot where it is fine, so its offset after the save. Then next is performance issues, lots of hidden faces and you generally get bad performance from the engine trying to work with so many objects, processing there LODs, COLs etc.

You are far better off just making lots of versions of the same building in max, thou not too many mind you.

Quote:
need to work on your UVs some more but that should come when you skin it with palettes anyways.

Quote:

cool digger, thou pretty low detail, would look into adding much more detail onto it, and again, skinning it with some palettes. There is even a palette for track textures in objects/vehicles/common/tank_tracks_c.dds iirc.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Salmonella

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
cool nice work but ehhh, these statics look to be made in the wrong way...
ehhh, making buildings into jigsaw puzzels / kits like this is a REALLY BAD move.
You are far better off just making lots of versions of the same building in max, thou not too many mind you.
I really wasn't aware about that, in fact a don't know anything about lightmapping, i'll need some help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
need to work on your UVs some more but that should come when you skin it with palettes anyways.
I just make the models, these are my first attempt to texture something, since our offical UVmapper and Texturer is kind away of these boring buildings.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonella View Post
I just make the models, these are my first attempt to texture something, since our offical UVmapper and Texturer is kind away of these boring buildings.
Then you really need to learn how to UV to texture palettes.

If a static modeller can't UV to a palette (and make lods, cols and export the model), then he is pretty much useless tbh.

It isn't something that is too hard to grasp once you get the hang of it and my tut should make it very easy to learn how to use the palettes so just run though my tut

Old 12-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
162eRI

Nice start for the textures! I love the digger, will be very useful on other maps (and old ones).
We could use the church for one of our map which takes place in the former Portuguese islands of Sao Tome in Africa... They are using the same Portuguese architecture (of course).

Tags
objects, static, wip