project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

View Poll Results: Which set would be the best balance of gameplay and realism?
Set 1 13 8.72%
Set 2 69 46.31%
Set 3 48 32.21%
Set 4 17 11.41%
Other...Please Explain via post 2 1.34%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
JS.Fortnight.A
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to JS.Fortnight.A Send a message via AIM to JS.Fortnight.A Send a message via MSN to JS.Fortnight.A
Default How many players should operate a tank?

Possible Combos:

Set 1 (vBF2 style):
Pos. 1: Driver/Gunner/Smoke
Pos. 2: Turret MG

Set 2 (Best of both worlds):

Pos. 1: Driver/Smoke
Pos. 2: Gunner
Pos. 3: Turret MG (No direct control over tank operations)

Set 3 (Uber-Realism):

Pos. 1: Driver
Pos. 2: Gunner/Loader (Limited vision, but fires the round)/Turret MG
Pos. 3: Commander (Full vision to sight and acquire targets)/360 degree outside/inside hatch view plus optics

Set 4 (Real Life):
Pos. 2: Loader/Turret MG
Pos. 3: Gunner
Pos. 4: Commander

Project Reality Operations Lead v0.2-0.3
Last edited by JS.Fortnight.A; 06-02-2006 at 10:50 AM..
Old 06-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
Braddock096

I like option 2, which is the way Red Orchestra has it. You can operate a tank single handed but there is a delay on switching positions which means a full tank will always have the advantage over a single hander.
Braddock096 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Top_Cat_AxJnAt

oooooooo, interesting and nicely presented. Top marks all round.

HAs to be : Set 3 (Uber-Realism):
Pos. 2: Gunner/Loader (No vision, but fires the round)/Turret MG
Pos. 3: Commander (Sights and acquires targets)/360 degree outside/inside hatch view plus optics

I love this stuff AND AND you can have 1 squad operating 2 tanks, together with amazing teamwork AND this forces the enemy to also work as a team and use tactics becuase other wise it will own the battlefield.

Option 3 is only slightly different to option 2 but really makes tanks that lethal and deadly vehicles they are. It provides the option, if you want, to put in alittle more teamwork if you want and get many advantages from doing so. Small change but can only enhance option 2, making option 3 a perfect choise.
People say this is too complicated but it is really not, just requires abit of teamwork and the dividens of such a system are huge, through the roof ext.

I also guess the commander has control fo the smokes. That is the problem with 2, in real life the driver has a really poor view and giving him a really good one, is just so unrealistic and that means the driver can not properly use the smokes at the right time, he can not see the guy wiht the RPG, on the 3rd floor behind the tank BUT the commander can and he can provide the gunner wiht a target.

Also, some say giving the commander the top mounted machine gun is unrealsitic, but many tanks have 2, one for the loader and one for the commander.
This actually weakens the tanks in some respects becuase there will not always be a machine gunner manning the top turret gun, becuas ethe commander is very valuable and will spend alot of time, turned in, looking through the periscopes. Rather than with a permanent and almost diposable machine gunner.
Last edited by Top_Cat_AxJnAt; 06-02-2006 at 10:31 AM..
Old 06-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
Iasthai

Im alittle confused as to why the gunner would have no vision? i mean how would he aim..? Still set 2 works best in a gaming sense i feel, maybe swap the MG gunner for a commander/MG'er?
Iasthai is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
Malik
Banned

Well the Commander aims and says "Fire!" and the loader/gunner would fire the round.

2 is the best, I've always wanted that. A lone wolf can only drive and shoot. If he drives he can't protect himself, if he shoots he can't dodge anything.
Malik is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Billy_gunner

Yes if you stay in mind 32 pll around. Option 2 it's the best have Red Orchestra too . Good choice.

Honor.

Billy_gunner.
Billy_gunner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
Top_Cat_AxJnAt
Arrow

option 3 is very very similar top option 2. But the small difference makes a huge difference. option 3 just improves communications - you cant disagree with that. And i jsut happens that improved systems means calling some one a commander, with out leaders, you can neverforfill your potencial and this is that same with tanks.
2 commanders who agree on a simple plan, can make sure that it is followed out. Commanders dont have to worry about the actuall drivign and think aABOUT TACTICS, is doing that so wrong, I THOUGHT PR LOVED TACTICS.

Such a simple addition improves tactics massively. BUT if you dont want that, you can just take the place of a commander and jsut man the machine gun instead. No different to option 2. Option 3 just allows those who want to, which will be alot, to use the tank in a far more tactical way.

A gunner is virtually blind with out one in real life. IF commanders where not such a valuable asset to tanks then they would not have them BUT THEY DONT, EVERY TANK IN THE WORLD HAS ONE, no exceptions. And this is one exeption that PR can not make!
Small change, makes a world of difference.

VOTE FOR OPTION 3 AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE, THAT WILL MAKE PR THE GREATEST TACTICAL SHOOTER IT CAN BE!!!!!! follow your tactical heart, please, do it for PR
Last edited by Top_Cat_AxJnAt; 06-02-2006 at 10:54 AM..
Old 06-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
[ZiiP]DarkJester

Realistic tank crews would be amazing... Which mod already has this implemented? is it USI?

[ZiiP] Community Director :: www.ziip.co.uk
[ZiiP]DarkJester is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #9
JS.Fortnight.A
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to JS.Fortnight.A Send a message via AIM to JS.Fortnight.A Send a message via MSN to JS.Fortnight.A

As much as I am with you on that Top_Cat, one must remember that this is going to be played not just by those who are part of the mostly mature and close-nit PR forum community, but also by pubs. And we all know how crazy pubs can get (no organization what-so-ever). Therefore there is a need of balance for the gameplay to realism equation. Another thing this does bring up is how it will affect singleplayer mode, because the AI will have to be tweaked as well even with just set 2 or 3. We felt it was important (before commiting lots of time to these changes) to get the communities thoughts on the matter.

Project Reality Operations Lead v0.2-0.3
JS.Fortnight.A is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #10
Malik
Banned

3 just sounds harder to implement, 2 just requires an extra seat and the current roles to be split. I can see how the idea would be useful, but at the minute it still seems people are struggling to comprehend the fact that smoke on tanks is now a projectile. Anyway, I kinda like the current system with the secondary gunner being vulnerable, it gives me something to shoot at when I'm not AT.
Malik is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
operate, players, tank