project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 08-18-2009, 02:34 AM   #1
Ford_Jam

Default PC caught in reboot cycle

This started happening this past weekend,
I went to turn on my computer and found that it will not boot up properly when I first press the power button.
What does happen is that it seems to get caught in a reboot cycle where the fans start spinning, lights turn on and after about 10-15 seconds everything shuts down again and repeats by itself. No signal is being sent to the monitor (eg. it stays on standby) and the usual *beep* coming from the computer doesn't sound off.

Computer is about 24ish months old, from Dell and has no recent hardware changes.

I manage to get it to turn on properly by continually pressing the power button, but it takes longer everytime and I don't want to reach the point where it doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Ford_Jam is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
Gore
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: PC caught in reboot cycle

If you have any extra hardware components, try change them one at a time and boot between every change of hardware. If you have more than 1 block of RAM, try remove one of them and see if it helps.
Gore is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #3
hx.bjoffe
Supporting Member

Had the same problem recently, or this was one of the many problems that occured, when what i think was a CPU-socket malfunction in my (~)5 year old computer.
Do you ever reach the Windows boot screen?
If no, it's definitly a hardware problem.
If yes, it's most likely not so bad.
hx.bjoffe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
LT Harrison=ORA=

Could be a couple of things:

1. RAM try booting with just 1 stick at a time until it enters reboot cycle, if all RAM work go to step 2

2. If you are using Vista, unhook any vRAM device like cell phones, mem sticks, if that don't work go to step 3

3. BIOS changes? Run through your BIOS to make sure your setting are correct, may want to look at BOOT order. If thats not it go to step 4

4. Run Windows disk check from the OS disk, make sure your HDD is ok.

5. If one of the above fix the problem and you are able to access the OS, go HERE for 32bit system or HERE for 64bit, and get one of the stress test programs and run it for 2 hrs or a problem shows up. It will tell you.

6. If all else is ok, reformat your HDD and load OS. Pain in the butt but gives you a fresh start.

LT Harrison=ORA= is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
smart_boy00

What is the model of the dell?

Failing on start hmmm..

---does it post? (get past the DELL screen)

---is there red lights on the front bottom by the power button? or is the power button red?

---Make sure the power converter switch (little red up and down or left to right switch) is set to the correct voltage for your country.

Like the other guy said, try taking out one stick of memory if you have more than one. Your profile says you are running Windows 2000 so you should be able to start with a min of 64 MB so you should be ok with only one stick. If it happens again with one stick move the ram to another location and try again. if failed again try another stick in same slot.

IMO, something on your PC is not right, could be any component and by the time you take it to GEEK Squad (if you cant work on PC's yourself) or by the time you buy components and pay with it and take up hours and hours and maybe more than a week of time you could have just bought a new motherboard, CPU, ram and called it good. Buying all three of those will run about $200 on budget up to $500 if you get crazy.

smart_boy00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
05grottim
Banned

hmmm i had this problem with a new build. It just kept going round in circles. The way i fixed it was to put in the windows disc and just reinstall the OS- that should fix it. As others have said it could be the RAM so you should just test one stick but when i had this problem i reinstalled the OS and it seemed to work fine.
05grottim is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
Ford_Jam

Sorry for disappearing!

I've found that only pressing the power button once will eventually turn on the computer.
After pressing it, the fans speed up twice, then on the third time the computer will start, without fail, without any extra input from myself.
Would like to include that once the computer is actually booted up, everything works fine, PR works, msn works Windows works. There is nothing out of the ordinary aside from the time it takes to boot up. I'm just worried that it may be showing symptoms of faulty hardware.

Edit: Sorry smart boy, I'm running XP sp3, I didn't realize my profile said that.
Last edited by Ford_Jam; 08-20-2009 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 AM   #8
Mr.Hyde
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Hyde Send a message via Yahoo to Mr.Hyde

Does it ever reboot by itself after windows is loaded?

"Any society that would give up a little liberty for security deserve neither and will lose both" ~Benjamin Franklin
Mr.Hyde is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
VoXiNaTiOn

Stupid question, have you tried clearing your CMOS?

VoXiNaTiOn is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:40 AM   #10
UK_Force
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Here is another one then to answer

My wifes computer, is running XP, and is quite old.

It boots up just fine every time no problems.

When she goes to shut it down, it does a restart, and does not close down.

This happens EVERY time.

I have cleared the CMOS, reset the Bios to default set up etc, but no joy ?

UK_Force is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
caught, cycle, reboot