project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
27 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Expendable Grunt

Send a message via ICQ to Expendable Grunt Send a message via AIM to Expendable Grunt Send a message via MSN to Expendable Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Expendable Grunt
Default Public Service Announcement

For great justice (and lulz), I am making this PSA for all those who don't "get it".

Subject: Correct usage of they're, their, and there.

They're is a contraction of the words THEY and ARE. It is used to denote actions, particularly and most correctly group actions. They're due to arrive around 17:00. I hope I have enough beer!

Their is a possessive case of they. It is used to denote ownership of some thing. I hope they brought their own bong, the hell if I'm sharing mine!

There denotes location. Set the pizza over there.

When used correctly, your points seem more intelligent and less childish (not like that Cheomesh tosser, or guys who want fast ropes).

Used together: They're having a great time over there at their party.

Subject: Your, you're.

Your denotes ownership, particularly something that you own. Get your own damn beer.

You're is a contraction of the words YOU and ARE. It is meant to denote that the person you are speaking to is something. You're retarded lololololol.

Used together: You're an inbred and your parents are brother and sister.

M.

Former [DM] captain.

The fact that people are poor or discriminated against doesn't necessarily endow them with any special qualities of justice, nobility, charity or compassion. - Saul Alinsky
Expendable Grunt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
ReadMenace
Default Re: Public Service Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expendable Grunt View Post
You're retarded lololololol.

You're an inbred and your parents are brother and sister.

M.
lolololwin!

-REad
ReadMenace is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

Infraction given for misleading topic name...

(I'm joking )

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Masaq is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
McBumLuv

Your the best Cheo, they're logic is mostly flawed and their seems to be a problem, as there always writing it badly.

You're post here wlil likely inspire some members of the forum.

()

No, but really, Cheo, every loves a grammar nazi

McBumLuv is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
waldo_ii

I'm never really going to be a nazi about grammar and spelling, but whenever I see a post with such mistakes, I immediately stop taking that post as seriously as I did before. Example: A thread in the suggestions forum is written with proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. I give it a fair and balanced analysis. A thread in the suggestions forum that has errors will make me think less of the poster and suggestion, and I will give it a more critical analysis.

Everyone, your backspace key is larger than most keys for a reason. Use it often. I've used it at least half a dozen times within this post.

Edit: Masaq brought up something I should have mentioned in here. If the person writing the post is from a non-English speaking country, I will always give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not going to be more critical of a person just because English isn't their native language.

|TGXV| Waldo_II

Last edited by waldo_ii; 07-29-2009 at 12:57 AM..
Old 07-29-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
spawncaptain

I always wondered how you could be that bad at writing in your own damn language.
Can't we have this post stickied in all the subforums?

User Ubaydah: "I used to play Call of Duty a lot and Battlefield 3. I am really good at those games 10th prestige, High K/d., I can kill people easily, etc. But on PR, for me, to be honest, I kind of suck."

User Not_able_to_kill: "Frontliner, you like evil man who comes to family house during christmas, takes out tree because it's too happy, so they can be just as sad as you"
spawncaptain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
youm0nt

Youre thread sucks

(o,o)
|)__)

-"-"-
O RLY?
youm0nt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawncaptain View Post
I always wondered how you could be that bad at writing in your own damn language.
Can't we have this post stickied in all the subforums?
Because for a vast number of our members, it's not their own damn language but one they've either learnt at school or later in life?

English isn't the first language of a fair few DEVs, too.

...which is why grammar and spelling nazis should be careful how they correct others - put simply, if the meaning of the post is clear, there's no reason to be rude about the poster's punctuation.

For those posters for which English is a first language - well, no excuses

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Masaq is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
OkitaMakoto
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to OkitaMakoto Send a message via MSN to OkitaMakoto Send a message via Skype™ to OkitaMakoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuv View Post
Your the best Cheo, they're logic is mostly flawed and their seems to be a problem, as there always writing it badly.

You're post here wlil likely inspire some members of the forum.

()

No, but really, Cheo, every loves a grammar nazi
...Man... I was gonna be hilarious and do just this... :P

Heheh.

Yeah, someone wrote a note in our dorm's bathroom stall door that read something like "Your not a bear, but if you can't sh*t in the toilet without making a mess, go out their in the woods and crap"

So I took a marker and told them to go back to whatever public commuter college they came from

they're is easy, cuz it's "they are"
their is a bit tricky cuz it has no trick I can recall
there is super easy since it's "here, there" same "here" ending

Its and it's always bugs me too when people fail at it
It's is NOT used as a possessive. It's used in place of "It is"
It's a cat. It's my favorite flavor. The cat is licking its paw. The house is missing its roof.
OkitaMakoto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #10
Engineer

your're are right they're
Engineer is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
announcement, public, service