project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
26 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Celestial1
Default Medic Change

Now, I know, I know, the medic system was JUST rehauled. And no, I don't want to change or add on to that.

What I'm getting at is that with these new changes medics have become a HUGE bullet magnet for the squad. And what makes it worse is that they are easy to spot in their group.

Medics are not able to provide much firing support (which I enjoy doing regardless what role I play) due to their very unique character model, pointing them out as the 'target to kill', and sometimes people will go out of their way to find a unique way to kill a medic, even if it is the only person they kill (For instance, I was only one in my squad the recieving end of a HAT on Kufrah, and I was not at the front or back of the group.

My thought is that make them slightly less obvious and blend into their own group more; Give them the same type of character model, and helmet, but add on the various medical supplies to his 'kit' so that while he isn't obvious at first sight, he is still able to be recognized with a keen eye, whether it be by his actual kit or his actions (crawling behind cover, coming up behind another enemy you had just wounded and then all of a sudden that enemy comes back).

This would allow the medic to provide fire support when REALLY necessary, and also make him less of a target during squad movement into hostile territory 'just because' he is a medic.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Medic Change

Quote:
helmet
fully agree. really, ALL kits should wear helmets.

I don't particularly feel like a bullet magnet as medic unless I'm trying to heal som1 I have not propery prepared with smoke and cover fire. But its just kinda silly imo that some dudes ingame don't wear helmets.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Gore
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Why is the defibrillator still on the medic?
Gore is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

because its part of the EA model iirc.

New US and UK players models are inbound, so they will be gone.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

The British officer has this hat on.... I mean i understand that the officer training gives you a special "hat"

But it does point you out as a high priority target? Is it really true that all Officers in the British armed forces wear hats?

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

berets are used when it is deemed safe enough to do so, they are believed to make soldiers look more friendly, and are therefore used in the hearts and minds fight iirc.

ofc the historical sources of the beret are a bit different.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
Cheditor

A few things, one you were in the middle of this hatted group i persume, well thats where i would fire, explosion would hopefully wound and/or kill everyone. Two the medic i think should be able to be spotted out of the other groups as it then makes you defend the medic, it makes the medic get down and not rush out or put his head up too much.

Also Wicca the beret is issued to all british soldiers, heck i even had one in cadets.

Cheditor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Jigsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial1 View Post
Medics are not able to provide much firing support (which I enjoy doing regardless what role I play)
This is where you are going wrong. As a medic you should not be engaging the enemy unless absolutely necessary, your job is to keep your head down, stay alive and help your mates when they get hit.

By trying to provide fire support when you are ill equipped to do so you are doing nothing but risking your own life and the lives of your squad mates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
fully agree. really, ALL kits should wear helmets.
Mmmhm

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

how is the medic ill equipped to provide fire support?

He has a gun doesnt he?!!!

if he wasn't meant to he's have a pistol...or a knife....(pilot any1?)

I was on Bi ming this morning, got same number of kills as most combat soldiers and got more teamwork points than any1 else (i.e. I could both heal and provide fire)

The medic isn't a bleeding VIP, he's a soldier who is carrying the first aid stuff! if he goes down his mates could get his equipment and do the job just the same.

When I'm SLing, if my medic was cowering behind us I'd tell him to get up and start shoving rounds downrange because his added fire means its less likely that one of us is going to be hit. If we start going down, sure, he should get down and heal and leave us to it.

But seriously....come on chaps. the one common factor amongst all Blufor kits apart from pilot is that they ahve a gun, and they are meant to discharge this gun at the enemy to either kill, wound or supress them.

Its is my personal belief the some palyers have been trained in to telling their medics to hide somewhere because that means they are less likely to be punished for stupid acts of their own, if there's som1 to clean the booboo and get you back up, it means that in your mind, that rambo charge is less risky than it really is.

in the PRT we set up casualty reception points etc, but at the end of the day the medic is what is needed at the time. During Combat, he is a ironsight rifleman. When a medic is needed he is a medic.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
Jigsaw

Sorry I completely disagree. Yes I understand that he has a gun but to provide fire support is not and never will be a medic's primary role, he is there to provide medical aid to the rest of his squad. Simply having a gun does not mean that you are able to effectively provide support by fire for your squad mates. An AR is useful for fire support as are a grenadier and marksman in the appropriate situations but a medic will never be capable of effectively providing a high volume of accurate suppressive fire.

Im not saying that the medic should be cowering in the back. Im all for getting the maximum rounds downrange as possible. But when a medic is trying to provide fire support in such a way that he puts himself at risk then he is only creating problems for his squad when he goes down. Imo with the now limited number of medics available on the field it is essential that they ensure that they stay alive even if that means that they're not firing they're weapon as much as the other members of the squad, i've had squad members go down and looked around to find my medic awol or dead too many times.

The best medics are the ones who stay alive.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
appearance, change, medic, obvious, target