project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
27 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
GDICommand

Default Post requirement needed to make suggestion...

Alright, so I was cruzing the interholes and was looking for a way to get back into the battlefield series, since the best I have right now is AA3, and it's loaded with bugs (and considering the army fired the dev team a couple weeks ago, I don't see it getting much better within the foreseeable future). And besides, it's army...
Anyway, I happened to come across PR, and since I didn't really like bf2142 too much, I thought this was awesome. As soon as I get back to my desktop, I'm gonna give it a go.

But, as the title states: I have a little discrepancy with what I've managed to see on youtube so far. I noticed that when someone fires while zoomed in with a scope, the forward assist jerks, but the scope, really doesn't move much. My question is: who's idea was that?

Like I said, the mod looks awesome. But since I know you guys are all about realism, I thought I'd ask about that (I don't know if that's an unintentional bug or not).

Also, on a side note: If you guys need any programming help, I'd love to help out. I can't promise all of my time (I do have real work that I need to do to pay bills and all), but I could contribute. I have experience in Java mostly. I'm learning C in my spare time right now (at work, lol). Also, considering how similar C# is to Java, I'm pretty confident I could learn that pretty fast. Really, I'm just looking to learn more than anything else. I guarantee I won't know half as much as you guys that have put this together over however long this mod has been alive. Not a big deal if you guys aren't interested either, like I said, I have other things I have to do, so it won't bother me.

GDICommand is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
BlackwaterSaxon

Default Re: Post requirement needed to make suggestion...

That jerk without scope movement may just be as far as the devs can get it to look realistic with the engine. And having a certain number of posts before giving suggestions means that the forums aren't bombarded with "CAN I HAZ FASTROPES PLZ?" all the time.
BlackwaterSaxon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
bromley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackwaterSaxon View Post
That jerk without scope movement may just be as far as the devs can get it to look realistic with the engine. And having a certain number of posts before giving suggestions means that the forums aren't bombarded with "CAN I HAZ FASTROPES PLZ?" all the time.
well, can i has?
bromley is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
GDICommand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackwaterSaxon View Post
well...in all actuality, it's already in the game. the hard part has already been coded in SF in the form of grappling hooks. all you have to do now is extend the rope, make it deployable from a heli, and make it useable from an inside seat via a hot-key or something.

that being said, I don't imagine it's necessary. I did a lot of transport flying (gunship flying is for chumps! :P) in desert combat, all the way up to bf2142, and I find it much easier to completely set down, rather than hover in mid air, giving more opportunity to the enemy to blow you out of the sky. takes less time to set down, and your less vulnerable.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
ChiefRyza

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDICommand View Post
well...in all actuality, it's already in the game. the hard part has already been coded in SF in the form of grappling hooks. all you have to do now is extend the rope, make it deployable from a heli, and make it useable from an inside seat via a hot-key or something.

that being said, I don't imagine it's necessary. I did a lot of transport flying (gunship flying is for chumps! :P) in desert combat, all the way up to bf2142, and I find it much easier to completely set down, rather than hover in mid air, giving more opportunity to the enemy to blow you out of the sky. takes less time to set down, and your less vulnerable.
You are...joking, right? You understand that many people with the idea of fastropes are the laughing stock of the community? No offence but it just isn't possible with the Battlefield 2 engine. When your limited to shell scripting (like Python, the only way of modifying the game's mechanics) there is simply no way to do it. Sure you can come here and claim it's oh so easy but don't you think after 4 years and some of Battlefield 2's smartest modding coders would have cracked it? I know it seems like such a simple concept to do but you'll never see it - and if you can't realise this I doubt your modding abilities with BF2.

Anyway, as I said the only coding that can be done in BF2 is through Python scripts. Ask any of the coding team, if they had a better way of doing it - they would. Touching a single character in the BF2 source code (all in the .exe) would break the User Licence agreement and you could kiss PR goodbye. And guess what the post limit for the suggestion thread is for? It's to give you time to learn about the mod before you jump in telling the DEV team they have done everything wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current project: Operation Tempest
ChiefRyza is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
GDICommand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRyza View Post
You are...joking, right? You understand that many people with the idea of fastropes are the laughing stock of the community? No offence but it just isn't possible with the Battlefield 2 engine. When your limited to shell scripting (like Python, the only way of modifying the game's mechanics) there is simply no way to do it. Sure you can come here and claim it's oh so easy but don't you think after 4 years and some of Battlefield 2's smartest modding coders would have cracked it? I know it seems like such a simple concept to do but you'll never see it - and if you can't realise this I doubt your modding abilities with BF2.

Anyway, as I said the only coding that can be done in BF2 is through Python scripts. Ask any of the coding team, if they had a better way of doing it - they would. Touching a single character in the BF2 source code (all in the .exe) would break the User Licence agreement and you could kiss PR goodbye.
ok, not to sound rude, but this is a bf2 mod, not a bf2 sf mod. which is why it hasnt been done.

secondly, it has been done. I've seen it done in the black hawk down mod for BF1942

and besides, I don't really want it, so who cares?

lol, I can't believe EA used python to make this game...I didn't know that

Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
ChiefRyza

1942 was a completed engine, Battlefield 2 was released as an unfinished game with an engine that functions terribly in many areas. Where in 1942 many things were possible, BF2 is a whole new ball game. Your obviously going to be a tough egg to crack, nonetheless you will learn over time just how limited the DEV team is when it comes to modding this game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current project: Operation Tempest
ChiefRyza is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
GDICommand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRyza View Post
1942 was a completed engine, Battlefield 2 was released as an unfinished game with an engine that functions terribly in many areas. Where in 1942 many things were possible, BF2 is a whole new ball game. Your obviously going to be a tough egg to crack, nonetheless you will learn over time just how limited the DEV team is when it comes to modding this game.
well, like I said, I was interested in learning. I don't know python, so could be fun

Old 07-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
Smegburt_funkledink

Hi and welcome to the foums.

The post requirement to make a suggestion etc.. is to avoid threads such as this. Try some searches for 'fast ropes' and pop the kettle on.

If you've been on these PR forums much, you would have seen many threads discussing:
  • Fastropes
  • The difference between BF2 and BF1942 game engine
  • BF2 engine limitations
  • Python coding
  • Fastropes
  • The ability to use BF:SF content for BF2 mods
  • Fastropes

Take a look around the forums, there's been nearly 800,000 posts now, so the chances of thinking up something that hasn't been discussed here are very slim.

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
Th3Exiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDICommand View Post
That's a new idea, right?

Exiled.
Th3Exiled is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
jerk, make, needed, post, requirement, scope, suggestion