project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front
21 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Tales from the Front Share your in-game experiences playing PR:BF2.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
flem615
Default [Map] Battle for Qinling

This is by far my least favorite map in PR. I never have a good game on this map, regardless of squad/team. Its so bad that i disconnect from the server when it loads this map. I was just wondering if anyone out there has something positive to say about this map. Any good stories that might let me give this place another shot?
flem615 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] Battle for Qinling

Last night on TG I led a armour squad for the first time in aaages. Unfortunately we failed pretty hard, but we took equal numbers of enemy armour down with us.

The objectives were the north hill by the river, hill 181 I think, and a hill near their main called 254. We got a quick cap on our flag going, and the armour with mech infantry support and AA cover moved on the next flag.

We engaged enemy armour en route, 2 c2s were damaged, we had brought no repair support. So the tanks held on a nearby hill and covered the infantry advance. The infantry got on the hill and started capping. The tanks moved aroudn the hill after the infantry reported via mumble that an APC was approaching. We destroyed an enemy FB, but the APC was nowhere to be seen

suddenly the comms crackled to life and portable.cougars panicked voice comes over "Urgent! enemy tank to your front 7!!"

We suddently found ourselves (a damaged c2) toe to toe with a chinese tank. our formation had gone to hell since we were desperately hunting teh APC to keep the infantry safe, we put one hit on it, deployed smoke, and move back and to the right, yet luck was not with us. The Chinese tank still landed a hit on us and we blew up.

The remaining tanks were taken out one by one over the course of the next 5 mins by various means.

So we swapped in to a Mech inf Role, for the next few mins.

Sandiford happened to be moving out with a Warrior at the time, so we followed his lead, again the coms crackled to life with important information "squad 7 enemy apc is following us" "7 here, are you the APC in Fox 1?" "correct" "copy, coming over to its rear"

turned out the APC was not where Sandiford thought, we took hits on our side armour, flipped aroudn to engage teh target, but the sirens started blaring and I thought the worst. Fortunately I could see a second line of tracers heading towards our erstwhile target, Sandiford had come to teh rescue! The enemy APC exploded much to our relief. We joked on the way to the repair bay that a civilian throwing rocks could probably finish us off.

We defended hill 181 for the next few minutes using our APC. calling in CAS from a eurofighter to swat away AT on a nearby hill. Eventually Cougar got the 254 flag capped, so we could move. The tanks had respawned, so we reorged at base and picked them up. We then headed to 254. Again, my aggresive stance failed me, 2 of our tanks were destroyed pretty soon. But en route we did destroy 4 soft skin vehicles, so ticket wise it wasn't so bad. We then provided laser support, and AA cover for the rest of the game in the local area until the hill 181 defenders moved out to PLA FOB and capped it.

Great game!

on a map feedback front. the only real problem with it is the lack of stuff. by stuff I mean statics. The Coal mine could be redone to have a cave or two, a few of the hills could be given Koselsk type trench systems. The village could be expanded significantly. I mean...its a random village in the middle of nowhere. no farms...no obvious industrial ties.

I think Rhino could still make the map something a bit more special, but I expect he's working on a new map or muttrah atm.

The thing about Kashan is that the infantry do have somewhere which is 'theirs' where they can be safe. The bunkers. Quinling does not have this. This is both because there are no appropriate statics for it. and also because Quinling is AASv3. I think AASv3 is a bad choice for this map. AASv2 with 300-400m cap radii would work better. I would also suggest that the CA concept of allowing Jets to leave the combat area without getting messages telling them off would benefit the map tremendously, but it would help pretty much any map anyway.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
flem615

ya i guess thats my major problem with it. its so damn empty. and everywhere you look, it looks the same. its just a bad place to be for an infantry soldier (my favorite role). you go prone and cant see anything due to the grass, but if you crouch you get hit. plus the lolling hills dont help much either, even when your on top of them. good game experience though. i think i was part of the chinese forces for a few minutes, before i got fed up with the map and left lol. thanks for the feedback, and i guess ill try to give this map another chance. next time ill try to be mech infantry, see how that works out.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

^ yeah, I also noticed that your team didn't have nearly as many mumblers as we did, so we had much better communication than you guys, so we were able to pass alot more info to our jets about ur movements on the ground and in the air.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Scot
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Scot

Qingling has the potential with a little bit of tweaking, to be one of the best maps in PR, at the moment it's just not quite there, it would take quite an effort, but it could be really good.

Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Alex6714

Agree, I like qinling more than kashan because kashan is just open, flat and well, ugly. I just donĀ“t really like desert like that, whereas qinling is green, has trees, lake etc.

Though it could do with a load of tweaks and the jets/helis seperated into different layers.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
flem615

i think it needs more than just a little effort. a whole makeover of the scenery would be nice. and this really is a mumble map. any map of this size with this many assests is a mumble map. i guess with a makeover and integrated mumble, this map could be turned around and made into something good.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
Drop_Deadx

Me and my squad took 3 Land Rovers 2 in each and did drive-bys for an hour an a half. Twas fun.

"Hell, these are Marines. Men like them held Guadalcanal and took Iwo Jima. Bagdad ain't shit."
-Marine Major General John F. Kelly
Drop_Deadx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Farks

This is a pointless rant thread. Has nothing to do with 'Tales from the front'.
Farks is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
joethepro36

Quinling is a brilliant map in PR, had some of my best rounds on it.

My favourite moment was leading a squad of new guys towards the chinese fob, telling the squad to halt and prone. I pulled out my binocs and called in an airstrike, should have heard the voip. :P
joethepro36 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
battle, map, qinling