project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
27 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 06-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
SicknessEliteX13

Angry Disconnecting!

Hey there.. again. Today I decided to play some PR, but to my suprise I'm getting lag for no reason, my internet is perfect, and I don't think its a RAM problem because I deleted un-wanted software, but I keep losing connection to EVERY single server I join or before I even join. I have no idea why and it just started happening today....

"EDIT"
Thanks for all the help, this tells me the PR community doesn't want to help new members...
Thanks again

"A general is just as good or just as bad as the troops under his command make him."
General Douglas MacArthur
Last edited by SicknessEliteX13; 06-29-2009 at 12:43 PM..
Old 06-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
thepalerider

Arrow Re: Disconnecting!

Hold on

I know having tech problems is frustrating but posting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicknessEliteX13 View Post
Thanks for all the help, this tells me the PR community doesn't want to help new members...
Thanks again
Is not very helpful.

Did you read through the red stickies?
Have you used the 'search' function on the forums?
Use Google?

Just what have you done to help yourself before you came here
apparently with the expectation someone would spoon feed you your answer without you having to provide any useful information about the problem/s.

Are you under the impression this help forum is staffed by paid professionals and your lack of any response stems from the staff being lazy?
Let me clear up some of your misconceptions.
The PR community is always happy to help new and old players alike,
because PR is all about the teamwork.
People who post help here are freely giving of their time and experience to help others just like you.
You need to be patient and lose the attude.
Not everyone reads the forums everyday.

Your post was vague and thin on facts others needed to help you,
that's why you didn't get any responses.

Your post was entitled "Disconnecting!" but you don't tell us anything about it like
what error code you see( hmm could be helpful info)
You state:
"Today I decided to play some PR, but to my surprise I'm getting lag for no reason"
You know it would be helpful to know how long you have been playing PR and why you are surprised. Is this a new install etc.
Your internet is perfect, well I'm glad you think so, but seeing as your having disconnection issues maybe letting us know what your internet setup is may be helpful.
You don't think it's a ram problem cause you deleted some programs?
How much Ram do you have and what did you delete? Scan for viruses and spyware?
You keep getting disconnected from all servers.
All servers? All PR servers?Well what is the pb error message your getting and why are you trying to keep it a secret?

You don't have any idea why your lagging or getting disconnected and after reading your post nothing jumps out at me ether. I and others could guess all day long what might be wrong but why not help us help you by posting as much info about it as you can.

When asking for help,
please remember to post your:
O/S,
systems specks,
network setup
And a brief history before and after problem started.
Please describe when your CTD or problem hits and
what you have already tried.
The more info you can provide the more likely someone can suggest a fix quickly.

Good luck

"There's nothin' like a nice piece of hickory"

I play on TeamPlayersGaming where it's all about the teamwork.
thepalerider is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
SicknessEliteX13

Default Re: Disconnecting!

Ehh sorry about that. It's just not Project reality thats disconnecting, its BF2 aswell, Its not an error, its just saying "Lost connection to the server" after about 5-8 minutes of play. maybe more, maybe less. But all this started to happen after I cleared up some space on my computer, maybe that has something to do with it? It's been working fine for 2-3, I even have a crappy video card and I can run BF2 and PR on low settings, and Get 10-50 ping from low pinged servers. O.o......

SYSTEM SPECS

Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual
1.93GB of ram

I have an integrated Video card from NVidia, but BF2 and PR have been working with it, I'm pretty sure its not the video card...

"A general is just as good or just as bad as the troops under his command make him."
SicknessEliteX13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
nick20404

there is only a small handful of people who post help in these sections and we can't snap to your problem anytime you need, so be patient its not a conspiracy to not help you.

Your problem is probably something on your end could be allot of things, but since your system specs are so low I would suggest playing on the lowest settings graphical lag can disconnect you from servers if its great enough if you can join empty servers and not get kicked but get kicked from fuller servers that is most likely your problem, also you could try deleting your PB folder and reinstalling it.

And yes if your computer is packed to the limit and you haven't upgraded it in years it isn't going to run good, I usaully keep at least 10 gig free on each drive to have enough space since when you play games etc it is constantly accessing files in other folders moving things creating etc. Also make sure you don't have a bunch of crap in the background, there is no need to have aim/yahoo,skype,fraps,xfire or 50 other programs in the background, the less running the less problems you will have.

If it turns out to be your graphics settings than your only choice will be upgrading your PC I don't even know how you can run it at all on a on board graphics card tbh.
nick20404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
SicknessEliteX13

Funny thing is, this problem never happened before with BF2, and I don't run programs when bf2 is running, and yes I know I need to upgrade, my uncle is a comptuer wizz, hes gonna hep me in a couple days, im getting a 7800 gt nvidia graphics card, and I might ask him for some ram, because he is a computer programmer and he runs this company, etc etc etc..

Thanks for the help *.*

SicknessEliteX13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
JackTheRipper

Hey, i have the exact same problem as you do except my computer is abit better than yours. This also happens in normal BF2 aswell and i have no idea what is causing it. Ive tried turning off my Firewall and my Anti Virus but no difference and ive also deleted and installed my PB several times. The thing with this is that it only happens randomly and one day i can play on UK warfare and the next day i cant.

Specs-
Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 6000+
2.04GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
JackTheRipper is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
nick20404

You know it could be your ISP, if there is heavy traffic in your area it could be hogging your internet connection, does it only happen at certain times of the day?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

hehe just trying PR v0.86 for first time (RL keeping me busy) and having same issues maybe as OP?

Quote:
My specs:
Operating System: Windows XP SP3
Processor: AMD X2 5600+
Motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Nforce5
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ
Video Card: BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC 1GB GDDR3
Sound Card: Soundblaster X-Fi
Can play for about 5-10 minutes on most servers, then randomly get locked up with the "Connection Error" message, then 5-10 seconds later dropped to the main menu, where I can see the server is still up and can join back immediately only for problem to happen again.

Nothing different on my router/modem setup, have ESET anti virus disabled while playing, no torrents or other programs running in the background, not sure what could be the problem.
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
nick20404

This might not help, but try downloading Gamebooster, it pretty much shuts down any unwanted things running in the background that you don't need. Also if you haven't try the deleting of PB folder and reinstalling it, also try deleting the BF2 folder in your my documents to clear up any old cache data.

Game Booster | Better Play Experience | Game Accelerator

Be sure to revert back to normal mode when your done playing. The connection lost is probably the hardest thing to fix in bf2 since there can be 10000 things causing it...
Old 06-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
thepalerider

Arrow Re: Disconnecting!

If BF2 and PR are having this problem I would guess it's a PB or firewall issue. For some reason PB A or B doesn't update the server fast enough or stops completely = dropped. I've read using the 'tab' key in game and inputting:
pb_sleep500
(I think it is) can help. I've have found this happens to me every once in awhile for no good reason I can figure out. The work around I use is to join another server I don't really want to play on and let the map load more than 15% before canceling back to the server list. I don't know why but this usually stops disconnects( your connection to the server has been lost) for the rest on the night. You may need to load more than 15% .
Test to find what works for you.

With PB or firewall issues the S.O.P. is:

The first thing to do is check for updates with pbsetup

Next you should manually uninstall/reinstall:

1. Download pbsvc
2. Start pbsvc installer, you should see options for install, uninstall, test.
3. Run the Uninstaller, then delete the PB folder to remove any leftover files.
4. Restart your computer.

5. reinstall punk buster files with pbsvc( if your using Vista DO NOT set compatibility to XP, run as admin ok)
6. After pcsvc installs, click the "test" option to check the punk buster install you just did.
5. Make sure it comes back "all green"
6.Download pbsetup(pbsvc DOES NOT install pbsetup.
If your using Vista DO NOT set compatibility to XP, run as admin ok)
7.Create a pbsvc installer shortcut AND pbsetup program shortcut on your desktop.
8.Run pbsetup (from the shortcut on your desktop) add BF2 to the games list, then hit update."

(pbsvc installs the punk buster 'engines' or applications.
PBsetup installs the files/gas the 'engines run)

If your still getting dropped:

UPDATE/REDO YOUR FIREWALL RULES FOR BF2 & PB

Make sure your firewall has permission for:

BF2.EXE
PBSETUP.EXE
(search for your location)

PNKBSTRA.EXE
path:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\PNKBSTRA.EXE
or (not 100% sure but for 32 bit O/S I think it's)C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW32\PNKBSTRA.EXE
PnkBstrB.exe
path:
"C:\Users\"your user name here"\AppData\Roaming\PnkBstrB.exe"

Are you using the downloaded version of BF2? IF yes check out:
Another fix to try when having crash to desktop issues

If you still have problems check your internet:
If your running Xp you can tune up your internet connection with TCP Optimizer to maximize throughput.
check out speed guides
web site
click here to use their
TCP/IP Analyzer

results will show if you can improve throughput.

So the question is where is the bottle neck? Is it inside the network (your PC to your router) or outside (modem to game server)
Inside a better router should help.
Outside improved throughput should help

Lastly running out of memory might be the culprit if you CTD:

Running out of memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AncientMan View Post
The most common cause of this is that you are running out of memory.
BF2 was a memory intensive game, and PR only increases on that.

First, you can try lowering your video settings, in particular, Textures. If that doesn't help or fix your issue,
you can try increasing your virtual memory. Information on how to do this is located in the Installation Guide wiki.
See HERE.

If that STILL doesn't work, you can try patching your bf2.exe to allow it to use more than 2GB of memory.
Firstly, you want to backup your current bf2.exe in your /Battlefield 2/ folder. To do this, simply rename it from bf2.exe
to bf2.exe.original. You should back it up incase you have any issues in the future. Now you need to download the patched bf2.exe.
This can be found in THIS zip file
(THIS one if your using the EA Downloader version)
(If you get a virus warning, ignore it, just a false positive). Simply extract it next to bf2.exe.original, and your good to go.
Thanks to R.J.Travis for the original method.

Good luck

"There's nothin' like a nice piece of hickory"

I play on TeamPlayersGaming where it's all about the teamwork.
thepalerider is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
disconnecting